How you light your cigar

Lighting a Cigar  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use only the finest striking steel and a Randall made knife to create a spark to set fire to three or four small slivers of cedar shavings sitting in a small clean silver chalice. Once this is afla

A flaming cat always works for me. After a few years the burning hair smell is not even noticable. And you can get them for free!

Torch, nothing else works on the golf course.

I prefer a dual flame torch. Doesn't use as much fuel as a triple and is less likely to scorch the wrapper while lighting.

Mr. Fission home nuclear power plant with phased filtered particle beam cigar foot attachment. I live dangerously, I have removed the blast shield... but the liquid nitrogen gauntlets help a lot.

-the Pig

I use a series of perfectly calculated orbital defence satellites put at civilian strength. C'mon Piggy, it's 2016 and you're still on CANDU5?!

I actually just use a dual torch toast. Cedar spills if I can be bothered but everything is just more relax when your ritualistic habits start deteriorating with all the travel and busyness of life.

Got a range of different lighters, but I love and always return to my old Xikar Exodus. Great fusion of jet- and softflame technique. Works nicely indoors and outdors, and I don't get so much the feeling like raping my cigar, as when using a torch....

A shame that these ran out of production. Haven't found a replacement yet, in case it will break someday. Anyone in the know of any similar options?

DuPont hardly leaves the drawer... butane torch, flint/butane, propane space heater, electric cigarette lighter, exhaust manifold after pushing the car really hard, stove burner, oven burner, toaster oven heating element, space heater, magnifying glass on a sunny day, etc.

I use a series of perfectly calculated orbital defence satellites put at civilian strength. C'mon Piggy, it's 2016 and you're still on CANDU5?!

I actually just use a dual torch toast. Cedar spills if I can be bothered but everything is just more relax when your ritualistic habits start deteriorating with all the travel and busyness of life.

They are unreliable, Mil Spec., you know! Ever since the Deutsches Institut für Normung moved to Isla PigFish, the PgF standard has become the benchmark, rendering all other standards, substandard!!!

In a pinch you can use fuel grade hydrogen peroxide +85% with a catalyst decomposer to get things rolling!

-Piggy aka PanzergewindeFish

• Like 1

I use a triple flame torch for the most part, primarily because of wind issues.

But if not much wind then long wood matches, or a spill that I light from whatever is at hand.

Touch up with a torch.

For cigars, pretty much just butane torch-style. I have a Porsche butane, and a green Lambo table lighter. The cedar strips have a romantic appeal, but too many times with them or other soft flames, I've ended up with uneven lights with uneven burns. Maybe there's a trick to it...or patience? But I rarely have an issue with the torches.

I also collect and smoke pipes, and pretty much nobody (that I know, anyway) uses torches with them because you can burn the hell out of the rim and even the chamber. I like do-dads, so over the years have collected Dunhill, DuPont, Cartier, and Corona (Old Boy) lighters - all soft flames, with the flame direction re-angled to make them more dedicated to pipe use. You might have heard of Caran d'ache, but if not, they're basically a small Swiss lighter company. I had one of them for a while too, but no adapter or brand of canned fuel available in the US would work for refilling it...that one ended up on eBay.

• Like 1

A magnifying glass and the sun.

Seriously, I use either matches or a soft flame butane lighter. I have a dual torch lighter that I sometimes use for touchups or if I'm lighting up in windy conditions. Sometimes I use the torch to set fire to a cedar split, then light the cigar with the split.

Here's what I've picked up to try....they haven't arrived yet:

A cheap one from Amazon that had good reviews:

post-28941-0-80635400-1454834946_thumb.j

An 'honest' butane torch (saw a video on YouTube):

post-28941-0-10434200-1454834752_thumb.j

Although anyone calling themselves honest is bound to be a liar lol. By the way, does that plastic lid look a little bit close to the flame for safety?

I'd like to buy this one:

post-28941-0-37417200-1454835098_thumb.j

It's called the 'Jetline Tusk', and I saw it being used in Sautter reviews on YouTube, but it doesn't seem easy to come by if you are outside the US.

Here's what I've picked up to try....they haven't arrived yet:

A cheap one from Amazon that had good reviews:

attachicon.gifA1iNtUz7VeL._SL1500_.jpg

An 'honest' butane torch (saw a video on YouTube):

attachicon.gif151723141144_1.jpg

Although anyone calling themselves honest is bound to be a liar lol. By the way, does that plastic lid look a little bit close to the flame for safety?

I'd like to buy this one:

attachicon.gifJetLine-Tusk-Flame.jpg

JetLine-Tusk-Flame.jpg

It's called the 'Jetline Tusk', and I saw it being used in Sautter reviews on YouTube, but it doesn't seem easy to come by if you are outside the US.

Dunno, if I were to light a cigar with a plumber's tool like this, it would certainly make me feel like drinking good Bordeaux from a Whisky tumbler, can't help.