The Pieces of Wisdom that you refer to from time to time?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be a line or quote that has resonated with you...something your father, grandfather, mate, mother or mentor said. Something that has stayed with you. Share it if you can as there are times whe

The day I was getting married, my father told me, "if you walk up the aisle with 100 acres, you walk back down with 50."

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court: "Be careful applying a rational standard of

KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. Made a huge difference in my life.

Also, what ever happens probably would have happened anyway no matter what.

Life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade. I love Lemonade!

My favorite is what I have seen here...."Life is not a dress rehearsal".

• Like 1

I often go back to the words of Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

• Like 1

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court:

"Be careful applying a rational standard of thought to those who are incapable of it."

My wife being a lawyer and ALJ, that is what she has said for years.

Grant me the serenity to accept the thing I cannot change, the courage ti change the things I can - and the wisdom to tell the difference.

I've heard it quoted in various contexts, and is uncertain of who was first to say it - no matter, its quite usefull to me

• Like 1

When I was in my 20's thru my formative years into my '30's, I lived in those wise old sayings books:

*) "The graveyards are full of women whose floors were so clean you could eat off them" - Joan Rivers

*) "He who slings mud generally loses ground" - old Japanese proverb

*) "He who is an ass and takes himself to be a stag...finds his mistake when he comes to leap the ditch" another Japanese proverb

*) "Oh, hey - look! If you start lookin' for things to be wrong with your body - BOY ARE YOU GONNA FIND 'EM!!!" a very young but very wise philosopher, name unknown

*) "If you loan a 'friend' $20 and never see him again - that was money well spent" name unknown

*) "If you don't know where you're going - any road will take you there" Australian saying?

Have read quite a few through the years, and they did help in my trying times and difficult times...

• Like 2

One thing I have learned, and try daily to adhere to, is to appreciate what I have right now! I practice this by reminding myself often of harder times. Too many people moan and complain about what they have, or don't have, even though many others would give anything to be in their position. One former boss used to say to lazy employees 'If you don't like your job, don't worry - there's a queue of people outside who are just waiting to do it for you.'

Oh, and.... 'If you believe you will fail, then you are right.' I don't know who said that....probably Yoda. :)

I got a few.

Seek first to understand before being understood

It's a bit like what my grandfather had as his motto: Be sensitive to your surroundings

I also like this one for any situation good or bad: This too shall pass

And recently I heard this one: If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

Thanks to all for posting!

• Like 3

Everyone loves 'carpe diem' or 'seize the day.'

I never really took the time to learn what it meant until I was 18, in 1997, after the release of the TB6 snowboard film "Carpe Diem."

So, I bought a book about the Roman poet Horace, and his works, and discovered, that Carpe Diem really means diddly squat without the next line, which is 'quam minimum credula postero.' Which means 'place little trust in tomorrow.'

It's always been in my signature below.

• Like 3

My personal favourite and the one that's stood me in good stead is "Don't worry about it, think about it" calms me right down when the ****'s flying. And the Scout motto "Be prepared " of course (I am Akela after all) Dyb, Dyb, Dyb!

• Like 1

"Never date a girl with a brother named Nunzio"

"Never play poker with a guy who has the same first name as a city"

"When you know not whereof you speak, your mouth is best used for chewing"

"Thou shalt always cover thy ass"

"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal" (kinda apt nowadays)

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those that prosper, truly judge what is sane"

"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever. A retinal afterimage that fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Here's one I learned the hard way: "No matter how strong your case, it's always 50/50 at best."

Another one that I can't attribute to anyone: "Patience is rarely punished and often rewarded."

And my last one and perhaps my favorite, from the British film and one of my personal favorites "Croupier," and my first introduction to Clive Owen, on VHS no less: "Hand on tightly, let go lightly."