The Pieces of Wisdom that you refer to from time to time?

The Socratic paradox: "I know that I know nothing" and Sir Isaac Newton's, "If I've seen further (than others) it is by standing on the shoulders of giants". These two quotes inspire to keep learning, being open to new ideas and knowledge, and acknowledging the efforts of others in contributing to what I know and remain modest and humble.

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be a line or quote that has resonated with you...something your father, grandfather, mate, mother or mentor said. Something that has stayed with you. Share it if you can as there are times whe

The day I was getting married, my father told me, "if you walk up the aisle with 100 acres, you walk back down with 50."

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court: "Be careful applying a rational standard of

A very wealthy wise mentor of mine gave me a lot of great advice-two off top of my head:

1.) If you constantly give hardwork and loyalty you will always have a great job.

2.) Always rent depreciating items and purchase appreciating ones.

My father always preached that whatever hand life deals you you have to look hard and be happy with the things you do have and not the things you don't.

I take daily inspiration from my grandparents who during the great depression worked from sunup to sundown to make 6 dollars a week. On Saturday mornings my grandfather would wake up at 5 am and let the cows into pasture if the farmer they worked for didn't--he paid them an extra 50 cents if he didn't wake up in time to do it. I imagine being that poor would re-define stress.

• Like 1

A few come to mind:

"The lesson Is Never Try" - Homer Simpson

It is all relative. One hair on your head, not enough. One in your soup, too much! -unknown

And from my favorite philosopher: "A man has to know his limitations". - Dirty Harry wink.png

One thing I have learned, and try daily to adhere to, is to appreciate what I have right now! I practice this by reminding myself often of harder times. Too many people moan and complain about what they have, or don't have, even though many others would give anything to be in their position. One former boss used to say to lazy employees 'If you don't like your job, don't worry - there's a queue of people outside who are just waiting to do it for you.'

Oh, and.... 'If you believe you will fail, then you are right.' I don't know who said that....probably Yoda. smile.png

I think your last one you might've been on the cusp of my favorite Yoda quote...

Do or do not. There is no "try"

-The Jedi master himself

So, so many from Sir Winston Churchill...

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
  • Like 4

Prez, you picked my favorite.

From long ago high school days I had a coach who would often say "The difference between champ and chump is u"

I also like "There ain't no pockets on coffins" which goes well with this habit called cuban cigars.

• Like 1

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court:

"Be careful applying a rational standard of thought to those who are incapable of it."

I've heard one similar.

"You can't argue with stupid they'll just drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience."

• Like 1

Back in school me and my friends would bump knuckles down,up and then fist to fist.

Turns out what it really meant was this.

"never above you, never below you, right beside you"

• Like 1

I've heard one similar.

"You can't argue with stupid they'll just drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience."

Exactly. Those two have kept me from engaging in unproductive arguments and saved me from some serious frustration over the years.

I have a couple:

Never worry about things you have no control over

If you cant run, walk

If you cant walk, crawl

If you cant crawl, find somebody to carry you

Those that mind, don't matter

Those that matter, don't mind

Never trust a man that doesn't drink

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness

Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue

Realize the strength, move on

• Like 2

Ferris: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around (and enjoy a good cigar) once in a while, you could miss it.

With my own twist added in.

Or from Office Space "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements."

• Like 1

How could I forget

"With a true champion face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******.

And my ass ain’t no *****. My ass is a f*cking champion."

Kenny Powers

When I was in my 20's thru my formative years into my '30's, I lived in those wise old sayings books:

*) "The graveyards are full of women whose floors were so clean you could eat off them" - Joan Rivers

I recall one of our leading female business people discussing how hard it is to be the perfect mum and perfect corporate.

Paraphrasing "The sign of a wasted life is a spotless home".

Always liked that one lmao.gif