The Pieces of Wisdom that you refer to from time to time?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be a line or quote that has resonated with you...something your father, grandfather, mate, mother or mentor said. Something that has stayed with you. Share it if you can as there are times whe

The day I was getting married, my father told me, "if you walk up the aisle with 100 acres, you walk back down with 50."

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court: "Be careful applying a rational standard of

From my old man:

Things that are urgent are seldom important.

Things that are important are seldom urgent.

Ooh I like this game. some of my faves.

Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them - Jefferson

Hitchen's razor - What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible - Lawrence

“Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they look for a place to dump it. And if you let them, they’ll dump it on you. So when someone wants to dump on you, don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Believe me. You’ll be happier.”

• Like 1

I'm not much on credo's. But I do enjoy the odd tidbit of wisdom when it pops up.

• I'd rather have a bottle in front of me. Than a frontal lobotomy.
  • A classic Obi Wan knowledge drop. "Who is more foolish? The Fool? Or the one that follows him?"
  • Under the right circumstance. "To me this is mind over matter. I no longer mind. Because you no longer matter"
  • One I heard recently. "You are never wrong. Doing what is right"
  • The one most salient to me. "Don't let others rent space in your head"
  • Like 2

I'm not much on credo's. But I do enjoy the odd tidbit of wisdom when it pops up.

• I'd rather have a bottle in front of me. Than a frontal lobotomy.
  • A classic Obi Wan knowledge drop. "Who is more foolish? The Fool? Or the one that follows him?"
  • Under the right circumstance. "To me this is mind over matter. I no longer mind. Because you no longer matter"
  • One I heard recently. "You are never wrong. Doing what is right"
  • The one most salient to me. "Don't let others rent space in your head"

*And: "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool - than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Also: "Never argue with a fool. Because a passerby, seeing you two, will not know which one is which"

• Like 1

Back in school me and my friends would bump knuckles down,up and then fist to fist.

Turns out what it really meant was this.

"never above you, never below you, right beside you"

Hey, I like that one! Pretty good! idea.gif

If you see a worthy person emulate them, if you see an unworthy person examine your inner self.

How I follow this (or try to):

1) follow great leaders

2) copy good people and good habits

3) don't get bent out of shape trying to understand psychopaths. In my experience a small minority of people are straight up nutters (maybe 1 or 2% of the population give or take). try and remove yourself from these people or put up whatever defensive barriers you can.

4) With someone normal you may not be getting on with or there is some roadblock or struggle- reflect on what you are doing that might not be helping the situation and how you can change what you are doing or change your perspective to assist i.e. take responsibility or ownership or whatever. don't blame others. look at yourself first.

• Like 1