The Pieces of Wisdom that you refer to from time to time?

Oh my far too many to count

From my Mom " Whether you say you can or cannot, you are right."

From my Dad " Work hard and do your best let paint and bondo do the rest" He was an autobody repair man.

From my best buddy " You can wish in one hand and sh#t in the other, see which one fills up first."

From me to my boys it may sound harsh but it works "Are you a cry baby, or a try baby?" My 5 year likes to use it once in a while if I get to complaining to much.

One more from my brother. Sage advice at the time and saved me a lot of grief. " Don't trust that guy. He's as solid as a soup sandwich."

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may be a line or quote that has resonated with you...something your father, grandfather, mate, mother or mentor said. Something that has stayed with you. Share it if you can as there are times whe

The day I was getting married, my father told me, "if you walk up the aisle with 100 acres, you walk back down with 50."

This one came from a judge I worked for early in my career, it was intended to help me deal with the behavior of some of the people who ended up in court: "Be careful applying a rational standard of

So, so many from Sir Winston Churchill...

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

I like that one from Churchill, he had a way of making friends:

Yes madam I may be drunk, but I will be sober in the morning, unlike you madam who will still be ugly.

Unbelievable he lived into his 90's.

But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth. Psalms 38:13

In otherwords

- don't take negative people's criticism/hate to heart. Our ears like our eyes need earlids from time to time. (~C.H. Spurgeon) And railing back is not healthy.

Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee: For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others. Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

- Not quite 'haters gunna hate' but yeah shake it off.

Then there is King Lear, mandatory reading for old men. If I were to summarise the lesson of the whole book in one sentence:

Show your love by the success you seek for them.

Helping others succeed is an act of charity, especially when it goes unrecognised and with nothing expected in return.

Beware the folly of King Lear. There are far too many King Lear's in life, destroying others on the altar of their own hubris. Even if it means destroying their own life's work.

• Like 1

I think Vince Lombardi said, "There's no such thing as luck. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Yes madam I may be drunk, but I will be sober in the morning, unlike you madam who will still be ugly.

Churchill also purportedly told a woman who said if he was her husband she would feed him poison. He responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd eat it."

• Like 1

Churchill also purportedly was conversing with a woman who told him that if he was her husband she would feed him poison. He responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd eat it."

Churchill also purportedly was conversing with a woman who told him that if he was her husband she would feed him poison. He responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd eat it."

I believe you're speaking of Churchill's legendary feuds and dislike of Lady Astor during the WWII period. But because they had a nation they had to support and beef up the moral and spirit, thereof, they both presented a public unification with each other in order to do that. However, they both hated each others' guts! And in the instance you're referring to, she'd told him "If I were your wife I'd pour arsenic in your tea!" And Churchill replied, "And if I were married to you I'd drink it!"

• Like 1

"When you come to a fork in the road, TAKE IT!!!!" Yogi Berra

Similarly which is probably why Yogi's words stick in my mind:

"You can't find your path unless you are on it!" Bus Driver. This is the only piece of original advice I have that is worth offering.

Rudyard Kipling

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son.

• Like 2

Excerpt from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt:

Commonly referred to as: "The man in the Arena

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

• Like 2

When I over spend my budget on cigars, I like to console myself by remembering that:

Money is like manure. It's no good for anything unless you spread it around to help things grow.

-Dan

• Like 1

I have always said a forums culture is a reflection of its leadership. CA is a case in point. As always it is best to let it ride, don't engage and move on. Dueling swords with a half wit only makes you the other half. :lol3:Don't bring their trash here.

I think there is one in here :jester:

Excerpt from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt:

Commonly referred to as: "The man in the Arena

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I totally destroyed a pineapple chicken dish I was experimenting with tonight for dinner. It was terrible. As I was throwing it into the bucket of scraps we feed to the pigs, my wife put her arm around me and quoted this word for word. She said she loves it when I dare greatly.

• Like 2

From a former boss:

"It's not your problem as a person"

From Lynyrd Skynyrd (yes, inspiration can come from strange places):

"Stick to yourself you'll be much less abused"

From Mom:

"Enjoy the little things in life. The big things don't come around very often".

It may be a line or quote that has resonated with you...something your father, grandfather, mate, mother or mentor said. Something that has stayed with you. Share it if you can as there are times when we all need a little inspiration and I know of a few members right now who are going through tough times.

I can get myself into a fair bit of trouble from time to time. rolleyes.gif

It is in those times that I quote that great line from French Novelist Jean Giraudoux:

Only the mediocre are always at their best.

It always makes me feel better when I have not quite reached the levels of excellence that I had been hoping for .......normally in the am after a big night. Yes....it is my personal "get out of jail" card cofcig.gif

Let us know a few of your favourites thumbsup.gif