How many cigars do you own?

How many cigars are there in your humidors/tupperdors/locker?  

487 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One thing to also think of is the lifting of the embargo. When that happens over time the Cuban economy will change. Their growing of tobacco may be replaced by other crops marketable in the USA that make more money. You may in time see the Cuban cigar industry shrink and prices go up. As anti-smoking pressure continues to grow all over the world you will see Cuba fall in line. My guess would be that in 10-20 years the Cuban cigar industry is half it's size made up of 4-5 large brands like Monte, Cohiba, Partagas, Upmann and Hoyo producing very good high priced cigars. It won't disappear completely, but it will be nothing like it is today. That's the other reason to stock up now and buy twice, or more, what you smoke annually if you can afford it.

That's exactly what I've been doing for about the last 2 years, and fervently! I guess I have the foresight to be able to recognize that as a US citizen, we are in a very ripe and advantageous window of time that will only last for a short time.

I already missed out on the Davidoff window of being able to easily acquire these for a reasonable price or the pre-95 Cubans. And if there's one thing I've learned from those missed opportunities,it's that I can recognize an opportunistic buying window much better today.

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More than I need, fewer than I want.

Just enough (barely) to trim a tiny bit from the inescapable angst over never, ever, having enough Not enough to defeat the utter conviction I must seriously step up my purchases Just enough that it

I get the feeling it would be easier for some guys here to count the number of boxes

That's exactly what I've been doing for about the last 2 years, and fervently! I guess I have the foresight to be able to recognize that as a US citizen, we are in a very ripe and advantageous window of time that will only last for a short time.

I already missed out on the Davidoff window of being able to easily acquire these for a reasonable price or the pre-95 Cubans. And if there's one thing I've learned from those missed opportunities,it's that I can recognize an opportunistic buying window much better today.

The best part of this strategy is-- if you are wrong you still get to smoke a bunch of great cigars.peace.gif

According to the CCW inventory of my collection, I have 1310 plus 25 more on the way.

If you haven't tried the service provided by the cubancigarwebsite.com, you're missing a great way to keep track of your inventory. If you log the cigars as they come in, and mark the ones you smoke on a daily/weekly basis, the system will tell you at any given time exactly how many you have, by box, marca, vitola, ring gauge, and length.

I have started doing this.....not the smoking and marking it part...didn't know that was an option, but that is so hard to remember to do. I used to have....well still do, but it's not updated google doc, but I would forget to update it whenever I smoked/gifted/bought and it became too much stress to take care of it....if I can just remember to update when I buy i'll be good.

I have no idea off the top of my head, but even if I did know I wouldn't be posting here - it's an open forum and my wife might see it! ;)

Agreed Sean-don't need written evidence for her to use against me!!
  • Like 1

While I agree with buying additional boxes to sit on, I struggle to know exactly how many is enough. What good are hundreds of extra boxes in 20 years if they are all past their prime? I'm to balance the timing and try to keep about 5 to 8 years of stock. Figure that way I still can do a big buy if needed right before things go south and have a 10 year stock to smoke through while the dust settles.

• Like 1

While I agree with buying additional boxes to sit on, I struggle to know exactly how many is enough. What good are hundreds of extra boxes in 20 years if they are all past their prime? I'm to balance the timing and try to keep about 5 to 8 years of stock. Figure that way I still can do a big buy if needed right before things go south and have a 10 year stock to smoke through while the dust settles.

Astute point. I faced the same conundrum buying pipe tobacco for the long haul. For example, I seriously enjoy GL Pease blends, many of which are heavy on latakia. (Doesn't hurt that Greg is also a local in my area!) Latakia can soften quite a bit over 10 years, 20 years, and more -- pleasantly, in many cases, but it is possible for a pipe tobacco to lose much of the unique character it had in youth -- so I'm eyeing quite a few of my oldest tins with a little trepidation. This is one of the reasons why despite any preferences I shifted a fair bit of my cellar purchasing to Virginia and Virginia-Perique mixtures which I believe will age wonderfully over long decades.

Astute point. I faced the same conundrum buying pipe tobacco for the long haul. For example, I seriously enjoy GL Pease blends, which are heavy on latakia. Latakia can soften quite a bit over 10, 15, and 20 years -- pleasantly, in many cases, but it is possible for a pipe tobacco to lose much of the unique character it had in youth -- so I'm eyeing quite a few of my oldest tins with a little trepidation. One of the reasons why despite any preferences I shifted a fair bit of my cellar purchasing to Virginia and Virginia-Perique mixtures which I believe will age wonderfully over long decades.

You and me both! I could easily survive on my tobacco cellar. Lbs and lbs of va and vaper blends. I've been smoking some 30 year old Mac baren VA no. 1 that has been incredible. Definitely can hold up for the long haul.
  • Like 1

Bloody interesting comment, with the recent blends which are smoking well without much aging needed i.e. 2013-2014 vintages which people are talking about I wonder how these will age and when that "prime" will be in comparison to past vintages which needed years. I'm new to this and learning a lot almost daily just on posts here on FoH!

As of today, 810. I have no room for more, unless i buy another winedor or start using a cooler.

Just over 500... I love the rec from guys here to catalog using The Cuban Cigar Website... I have exactly 4 non Cubans.