Sneak preview of new FOH Logo?

Reminds me of a shop sign you would see on vacation in Cozumel or something. I like it, but I feel it isn't "classy" enough or FOH. This is a community of connoisseurs, its not about the flash of a sign, the design of a band, or hype of the latest line of super spicy oscuro maduro that "everybody NEEDS to try". FOH is about a (sometimes) classy jester.gif community brought together and bound by our love of the one ring that rules them all!! rotfl.gif I mean our love of cigars, pipe tobacco, wine and spirits, good food and entertaining conversation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Monkey in Fezz isn't going anywhere i appreciate the input! We are runnng out 3-4 logo's over the coming months to use with the new forum (upgrade from currrent version of Invision Board). it i

welcome to the new coke of logos!

I don't think I would buy the ashtray with the new proposed logo on it. I like this version the way it is and will be purchasing 2 of these once available.

Why even use the Cuban flag? It almost makes it look like you're supporting the government of that country, which we all know you don't care for at all. .

I certainly don't mean to turn this into a political debate, but aren't we in effect supporting the Cuban gov't. by purchasing their cigars? I despise Castro and his thugs as much as anyone, but I don't think that's an effective argument for wanting to change the logo. Just my two cents and, again, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

• Like 2

I don't like it sorry mate but my option would be if it's not broke don't fix it .I like the monkey logo always have ,it's not the Winnie but is good enough ,it sets us apart from the rabble again IHMHO

Upon first impression, I don't love it, but it's not a daft design. A good logo echoes what the organization wants to expound. Here's my take.

Pro's:

• Use of the Cuban flag colors in the cigar. (which also are the colors of many other nations. (US, UK, France, etc). This forum is primarily about Cuban cigars, the flag IMO was incorporated nicely into the perfecto cigar shape.
  • There is a "fun" element of the design which I believe captures the spirit of the forum. A lot of times cigars are viewed as an upper class pursuit and that usually means the associated imagery is clean, crisp, simple and professional. I think this site has never espoused the "upper crust" aspect of the hobby. If anything, our membership cuts across all cultures and classes all bonded by the love of the Habano.
  • The linear logo (minus the circle) looks great on the mockups. I like how the "Friends of Habanos" on the bottom curls up to meet the lines of the perfecto. That's very organic. Which aligns with what the core product is.

Cons:

• The "FOH" script looks like something you'd use marketing a product to kids. I know it's meant to evoke the graffiti art you'll find in Havana. Maybe pick a more striking, angular font to contrast the "cartoony" aspect of the cigar element?
  • The circular "Friend of Habanos" layout adds a bit of clutter. Especially when it's resized to fit on to different items. I think the logo on the cup is a lot more streamlined and lends itself to more universal use on physical products as well as on the site.

I'd personally make a few changes in how the elements balance out. Are there any other candidate logos's or is this what you narrowed down and decided on?

• Like 2

The FOH font will date your logo rather quickly if not before you even roll it out. The Cigar flag could be a real winner. I like the way the logo looks on the coffee cup minus the FOH. Is there some reason you can't spruce up the monkey. You could do the monkey with the Cuban flag Cigar and the coffee cup red lettering wrapping the bottom. Like others have asked, what is the reason you are trying to distance your brand from the smoking chimp in a fezz?

I don't think I would buy the ashtray with the new proposed logo on it.

I like this version the way it is and will be purchasing 2 of these once available.

FOH Ashtray Sample.JPG

Hmm.. perhaps there's a trademark issue with the original logo? After all the "Habanos" font is the official Habanos SA design and the leaf logo is a carry over from the Cubatobaco days.

Fair use probably applies for the logo being used on the forum. Trying to sell merchandise with it could be problematic. If that's the case, I want the original "bootleg" logo'd ashtray please. :D

• Like 2

This is what my company does. Brand development.

Having said that - design by democracy/committee is a death knell for your brand.

I really like the concept of the mark (Cuban flag as a cigar - clever/cool). I am struggling with the execution of the typography.

Now - Rob, you have to play the man and make the call at the end of the day. If this were my call to make, I'd have the artist take the mark (cuban flag as a smoking cigar) and work the typography using that concept.

Good luck - rebrands are gut wrenching and a ton of work.

• Like 1

Can't the monkey logo be updated? It's got character and still makes me smile.

My first thought on the new proposed logo was - "neon Korean restaurant sign, 3 a.m., noodles and a dodgy beer" - which, to be fair, is just what you want sometimes

I'd avoid the flag motif as it implies alliance with all things Cuban, not just the smokables.

I agree with those stating the current logo is much better.

There is nothing wrong with the new/proposed one, but it just doesn't seem to "fit." To clean, to corporate, not corporate enough, whatever. I (and I'm guessing most others) like the tom foolery and shenanigans on the forum that the smirking monkey seems to embody very well.

If it is indeed trademark issues that are necessitating a change I think you could make changes to the original, maybe incorporate the new and old, that wouldn't completely move away from the logo we know and love. You would still have your brand, and get a "new" logo at the same time.

If your just changing it to change it, then I think your crazy.wink2.gif

I don't want to pile on, as my thoughts are very similar to other members in terms of not really liking this version. However, it is difficult to just see one design and give it a thumbs up or down. If there were other versions to compare with that would be helpful.

On the other hand, I feel that YOU should be the one happy with the design and go with your gut. We'll follow along, as ultimately the logo isn't the reason why we're here!

Good luck!

The monkey encapsulates the "tongue-in-cheek" values which we stand for in this era where governments and health organisations are trying to eradicate tobacco, and 'habanos' culture to boot, so to speak. Keep the Monkey! yes.gif

• Like 2

I like the whimsical nature of the monkey, The cigar flag is nice too........Maybe the monkey could be waving the flag.spotlight.gif

Cigar flag is an ok idea, but the exaggerated curves are toy-ish.

Really dislike like the fonts, especially the FOH font in the new treatment.

Existing fez-monkey I could take or leave. Churchill would be better! :)

Overall, current > proposed by a wide margin.