The Pre Post Embargo Cigars

I can't help but think that just like pre-embargo cigars, we will see people longing for pre post embargo cigars. I know I have personally been on a buying spree lately (mainly for my fear of quality dropping in the future) and for finding this site (with all you enabling cigar lovers ok.gifok.gif ).

What do you all think of the idea that pre post embargo cigars will gain a following in the future.

I can't help but think that just like pre-embargo cigars, we will see people longing for pre post embargo cigars. I know I have personally been on a buying spree lately (mainly for my fear of quality dropping in the future) and for finding this site (with all you enabling cigar lovers ok.gifok.gif ).

What do you all think of the idea that pre post embargo cigars will gain a following in the future.

I think there is zero chance lol3.gif

Good post. I have seen very little on the subject and I've been thinking about it too. The hipsters who aren't adventurous enough to dabble now, will of course seek them out like they do bourbon and beer today and whatever else is the cool thing of the moment. There will be a huge secondary market for these cigars once the merchants run dry (which won't take long) and of course the ill-informed and talented scam artists alike will have a field day. It'll be ugly and many a cigar collector and not just the short-timers, will feel the urge to sell out.

Just saw Rob's post. :)

I can't see regular 2015 D4's going through the roof because of an end to the embargo in 2017 (as an example). not for the reason that they are pre embargo lft cigars.

I can see discontinued stock from the last 15 years going through the roof. Any aged 10 years + cigars as well. Hard to find stuff etal.

• Like 2

I can't see there being an immediate demand for pre post embargo cigars. However if the embargo were to be lifted at short notice, I am sure Habanos would be rather keen to increase production to meet the new demand. If this were to happen I could foresee a drop in quality that would encourage consumers to pay extra for cigars made before an increased demand had an adverse affect on quality.

• Like 2

Rob, I think you are underestimating the power of the hipster. This is a species not to be taken lightly. biggrin.png

Don't underestimate the Chinese market either. The Chinese have single handedly dramatically increased the price of wine from Bordeaux. Here is an article relating to cigars.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/shuchingjeanchen/2015/01/21/luxury-cigars-from-cuba-to-china/#4b0c166236ef

Don't underestimate the Chinese market either. The Chinese have single handedly dramatically increased the price of wine from Bordeaux. Here is an article relating to cigars.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/shuchingjeanchen/2015/01/21/luxury-cigars-from-cuba-to-china/#4b0c166236ef

But aren't the Chinese more brand and rarity conscious? Incidentally, I just finished watching "Red Obsession" yesterday and the Bordelais certainly learned the hard way that it wasn't an indiscriminate gravy train.

• Like 1

I think rob is correct that it will be the aged, EL's and discontinued that will skyrocket. A lot is made of their impact on bourbon, but that has only been a very small sector of bourbon, the BTAC and pappy series. I live 50 miles from one of the hipster capitals of the world and the beer and bourbon I like is still readily available at the same prices I e paid for years. They are good bourbons, just not "cool." So I think the Cohiba and montecristo fans probably need to worry, but I'm confident my BBFs, party shorts and HURRs will be available.

I think rob is correct that it will be the aged, EL's and discontinued that will skyrocket. A lot is made of their impact on bourbon, but that has only been a very small sector of bourbon, the BTAC and pappy series. I live 50 miles from one of the hipster capitals of the world and the beer and bourbon I like is still readily available at the same prices I e paid for years. They are good bourbons, just not "cool." So I think the Cohiba and montecristo fans probably need to worry, but I'm confident my BBFs, party shorts and HURRs will be available.

Sure there may still be stuff with that band on it. But when all the traditionally "best" names are selling out, what do you think Habanos is going to do? I'm fairly suspicious that they might be tempted to package the next best thing under the "best" band without skipping a beat. That is how your BBFs, Short and HURRS will be affected.

No matter what happens, there will definitely be a popular sentiment that cigars were better during the embargo era. Of course that could very well end up being true. But people will say that regardless. Those who blindly adhere to this belief will pay a premium to acquire cigars produced during the embargo. If Cuba can maintain a level of quality post-embargo, the appeal of the embargo era will be quite limited.

No matter what happens, there will definitely be a popular sentiment that cigars were better during the embargo era. Of course that could very well end up being true. But people will say that regardless. Those who blindly adhere to this belief will pay a premium to acquire cigars produced during the embargo. If Cuba can maintain a level of quality post-embargo, the appeal of the embargo era will be quite limited.

To the point assessment. Not only talking tobacco: I just hope they won’t spoil it once Cuba will set in more mechanised techiques and regains wider access to mineral fertilizers and pesticides again after the embargo. This could turn to the worse or the better, qualitywise. I am not advocating a keep-as-is, not to be mistaken, but may Lord keep them from doing the mistakes of the heavy-industrialized agriculture (USA, Europe, Brazil, etc.) with all its environmental consequences. Cuba has made a virtue of its situation and has become a poster child for a sustainable, organic agriculture. They did a lot of research and progress in this field. We should learn from them.

• Like 1

To the point assessment. Not only talking tobacco: I just hope they won’t spoil it once Cuba will set in more mechanised techiques and regains wider access to mineral fertilizers and pesticides again after the embargo. This could turn to the worse or the better, qualitywise. I am not advocating a keep-as-is, not to be mistaken, but may Lord keep them from doing the mistakes of the heavy-industrialized agriculture (USA, Europe, Brazil, etc.) with all its environmental consequences. Cuba has made a virtue of its situation and has become a poster child for a sustainable, organic agriculture. They did a lot of research and progress in this field. We should learn from them.

"Money changes every thing."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this also happened in Japan with Scotches and Bourbons?

technically speaking, we are currently smoking (mostly, most of us) post-revolution, and embargo-era cigars.

I guess the confusion stems from the MRN-terming "Post-Revolution" (with its slightly different start timing)

there is a pre-embargo and - very hopefully - some day there will be post-embargo cigars, which however will remain post-revolution...

Minor nit here. When two opposite prefixes are used they cancel each other out. What we're talking about are Embargo era cigars...adding pre-post is as silly as adding "point" to the word "price"...IMO :)

Yeah - very silly title. They are embargo cigars - period.