Pre-Embargo Cohiba Coronas?!? - Anyone familiar with these?

So. These just came up for auction. confused.gif

Screen shot of the item.

post-6763-0-40818200-1455912532_thumb.jp

Anyone know what this is about? Legit? Fake? Something other than Cuban tobacco using the same name? The bands look shoddy. Which makes me think they might be counterfeit.

These are apparently circa 1940's. We all know the story and origins of the marca. So, what exactly are these?

Anyone ever see these before? Any info? Anyone? If this are indeed legit, what's the story behind them?

Closeup of bands.

They all vary. Not two of the three shown are perfectly alike (the ones on the end are cut off).

There seems to be a handmade aspect to these bands. The whole logo looks superimposed upon some other band. Would like to see the sides of the bands.

• The ink weight is different on all three.
  • A white triangle missing from the centre band. Looks like an artifact from some kind of masking TBH.
  • "Cohiba" has different weight to it.

post-6763-0-83938200-1455913866_thumb.jp

NOTE: Keep this discussion to the cigars shown. No disparaging the site where these are being sold or whom may be involved. Many of you know what I'm getting at. pod.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bands are real and they are pre-revolution. Of course I can't speak for the cigars in the picture. I spoke with Punch Joe about these last February, I came across a few bands for sale on ebay in

Guys, please don't go down this road. This thread is about pre-revolution Cohibas, not anybody's reputation. It's not relevant to this thread and more discussion of it will make it go away. Any more

MNR's book is about post-revolution cigars...

Considering the seller and the known history of Cohibas, my guess is these have nothing to do with today's Cohiba marca. I do believe they are pre-embargo cigars, though.

• Like 1

I could be wrong as I'm no expert on brand history but I think the Cohiba brand was formed after Castro came to power. He liked the aromatic smell of the cigars one of his staff (security I think) and upon questioning him about it, he revealed that it was a friend's personal blend.

They tracked down the roller and hence the Cohiba brand was born....... I think! lol

By the way, if i'm in any way accurate, the pictures pre embargo cigars are not the Cohiba brand Cigars we know today

Calling BS on this! Cuban Cohiba's origins trace back to the middle 1960s, when a bodyguard of Fidel Castro shared some of his private supply of cigars made by a local artisan named Eduardo Ribera.[3] These cigars pleased Castro so much that a special production of the unbranded blend, produced under tight security, was made for Castro and other top government officials.[3]

How would you know? Do you have an idea of the number of special productions, special commissions, one-shot productions, made by hundreds of independant brands, etc. during the first half of the 20th century?

So what's your call Frank ..tell us

How would you know? Do you have an idea of the number of special productions, special commissions, one-shot productions, made by hundreds of independant brands, etc. during the first half of the 20th centuBuy

Then go ahead and buy them!

Are they in MRN's book? If not, then they never existed . . .

I thought it was both? I guess I am wrong and will deffer to you.

41VOZ%2Bd81IL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

ha ha . . . all those hobbyists who save their cigar bands in a big-ass jar are unknowingly creating a future gold mine! :cigar: I better go dig last night's outta da ash tray! :P

It would seem Trevor should be consulted on this one, no? And too - maybe if Min Ron Nee could be available for a personal contact, himself, if indeed this cigar band in not in his book, but he may have knowledge of it...?

But you know, even to my untrained layperson's observation - they don't have "Habana" on the bottom of the bands which it would seem they should, if they're actual Cubans. Maybe this name and brand occurred somewhere else outside of Cuba, possibly??

ha ha . . . all those hobbyists who save their cigar bands in a big-ass jar are unknowingly creating a future gold mine! cigar.gif I better go dig last night's outta da ash tray! tongue.png

Lights, Bells, and Whistles going off in my head right now. I have hundreds of unbroken CC bands. My retirement fund may have just been born. idea.gif