How long should I wait before doing my blood work for the insurance company?

Gang,

it has been 2 years since my last cigarette, and now my wife is reminding me that i need to get my bloodwork redone for the purpose of changing my life insurance policy to a much friendlier "non-smoker" rate.

The question is, how many weeks do I need to be completely off cigars before I should get my blood drawn?

I currently smoke 3-4 cigars a week.

Thanks much,

Alex

If you do a search, I'm certain it has been discussed before. I believe the magic/safe number was 30 days.

However, I would seriously consider not playing games with an insurer as the last thing I would want is my loved ones having to have not have the insurance dollars in time of need etc... For a few $ more, I would pay the higher rate. Recreational cigar smoker may not get hit with a rate increase as a regular cigarette smoke.

Just my two cents...

• Like 3

I smoke 2 or 3 cigars a week. I gave them up for a month and failed the blood test. That was about 15 years ago.

Nicotine is water soluble and can be removed from the body totally in 48-72 hours the more water you drink the quicker it is removed. However, Continine is a metabolite that that has a much longer half life and can remain in the body much longer 1-3 months depending on your genetics. This may be what you are actually tested for.

I think this varies by person. I did a test last year where I acquired some nicotine testing kits for urine and tested myself every day or two to see how long it would take. I didn't imbibe any adult beverages either. :lol3:

Smoke one or two a day generally. The tests showed clear on the sixth day for me. YMMV

Good luck!

Nicotine is water soluble and can be removed from the body totally in 48-72 hours the more water you drink the quicker it is removed. However, Continine is a metabolite that that has a much longer half life and can remain in the body much longer 1-3 months depending on your genetics. This may be what you are actually tested for.

Where did you very that info? Everything online indicates continine has a much shorter half life than what you had quoted, and would be below the testing threshold within 10 days. That said, can't always believe what you read online!

Where did you very that info? Everything online indicates continine has a much shorter half life than what you had quoted, and would be below the testing threshold within 10 days. That said, can't always believe what you read online!

The higher the concentration in your system, the longer it takes to be fully removed. Also depends on the accuracy of the test.

Best to own up that you smoke cigars, rather than hoping to dodge being caught.

The higher the concentration in your system, the longer it takes to be fully removed. Also depends on the accuracy of the test.

Best to own up that you smoke cigars, rather than hoping to dodge being caught.

Unfortunately that is not an option. The place will not hire anyone who tests positive.

Unfortunately that is not an option. The place will not hire anyone who tests positive.

are they allowed to refuse employment because you are a tobacco user, a legal substance?

• Like 1

My understanding is that while the half life is 20 hours for one mg, it largely is dependent on how much you smoke. Basically if you smoke every day, or even every third day your body still may not have removed all of the original 1 mg. Because of that it is continually building up. 3 months is how long some of my friends who are doctors who are starting to get hired at hospitals were told to abstain.

Another vote for not screwing around with your life insurance. Note that not every life insurance group treats cigars the same as cigarettes. Shop around, you should be able to do better than a cigarette smoker policy.

At the end of the day, you're getting this to protect your family and loved ones. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk that it would be invalid because I lied about cigars to save a few bucks. At that point they'd be out their policy and you'd be out the premiums you paid all along. Seems pennywise and pound foolish to me. JMHO, YMMV, etc.....

Most companies consider a person a tobacco user, meaning smoker rates, if you admit to using any form of tobacco. The questions vary, as I have seen the question asked with a time frame (2-10 years), or the question phrased "have you ever used . . ."

The most liberal allowance I have seen basically averages out to a little over one cigar a week to qualify for a non-smoker rate, but no better. When I run into this situation with a client we always disclose using cigars or chew. However, I always write a cover letter to the underwriter to explain the cigar smoking and ask them to consider a better rate if everything else looks great. I can tell you on more than a few occasions where my clients were in great health, but smoked cigars, the underwriters gave them a step up in rating class. However, it's very difficult to "shop" companies about cigar smoking because they will always just quote their guidelines. You have to work with someone who is experienced with insurance and negotiating with underwriters if you want better.

So, to answer the OP question - since you smoked cigarettes it is very unlikely you will get a rating upgrade if you admit to still being a tobacco user . . . because you still use tobacco. You would literally have to stop smoking cigars for at least a year to not only be able to answer the questions truthfully, but legitimately pass the paramed exams. The other option is to replace your current coverage with a cigar friendly carrier and I am happy to discuss with you over PM about that if you wish. It would mean new underwriting, but since it's only been two years the rate savings from getting non-smoker may make up the difference in your age.

I went back and forth over this on my life insurance policy and decided to claim smoking cigars. They even asked - you mean just here and there while you're on the golf course? Nope, an average of 1 or 2 a week. The cigar box was checked.

I smoked a cigar the night before my test and oddly enough ended up not testing positive for tobacco use. Yes, the rate is a little higher, but it's definitely worth the peace of mind to me.

• Like 1

are they allowed to refuse employment because you are a tobacco user, a legal substance?

Yes! Many healthcare systems, hospitals and insurers list in their job descriptions that tobacco users will not be considered for the position.

Most of what I've read, suggests that if you are 1-2 a week smoker to abstain for 2-weeks, exercise daily and drink lots of water to clear the metabolite from your system. I had to get a physical and lab tests for my last job and followed the above regimen and I tested negative. Basic life insurance was provided for my job with no additional tests required, but were I to seek above basic coverage a nurse would come to my home for blood & urine with only 24-hours notice.

So, how does vaping, nicotine gum, spray etc fit into this? ElPuro said the company would "not hire anyone who tested positive". Is this for nicotine only or associated substances in tobacco? You could test positive for actively trying to give up. I've not smoked cigarettes for 10 years or more, smoke 1-2 cigars a week and vape so my blood nicotine level is probably higher than my smoking habit would otherwise indicate.

So, how does vaping, nicotine gum, spray etc fit into this? ElPuro said the company would "not hire anyone who tested positive". Is this for nicotine only or associated substances in tobacco? You could test positive for actively trying to give up. I've not smoked cigarettes for 10 years or more, smoke 1-2 cigars a week and vape so my blood nicotine level is probably higher than my smoking habit would otherwise indicate.

Vaping is considered tobacco use at the company where I am applying. Some companies do not provide an exception for tobacco-quitting products - I have heard they can do a secondary test if you fail, however, that identifies what products have been used. You would fail on all fronts unless you quit for a while. I am going to go for a few weeks - haven't even had the interview yet. However, if they make the offer, I don't want to worrry about it. I did, however, buy some test strips on Amazon to see if I would pass.

Note that they test for continine, not nicotine.

Vaping is considered tobacco use at the company where I am applying. Some companies do not provide an exception for tobacco-quitting products - I have heard they can do a secondary test if you fail, however, that identifies what products have been used. You would fail on all fronts unless you quit for a while. I am going to go for a few weeks - haven't even had the interview yet. However, if they make the offer, I don't want to worrry about it. I did, however, buy some test strips on Amazon to see if I would pass.

Note that they test for continine, not nicotine.

Are you serious? There are companies that will not hire you if you are a smoker? I've never heard of that! Pretty sure they would not be allowed to refuse hiring people for this reason in the UK. Where are you from? Also, what happens if you are subjected to second hand smoke on your way to the test? lol