How long should I wait before doing my blood work for the insurance company?

So, how does vaping, nicotine gum, spray etc fit into this? ElPuro said the company would "not hire anyone who tested positive". Is this for nicotine only or associated substances in tobacco? You could test positive for actively trying to give up. I've not smoked cigarettes for 10 years or more, smoke 1-2 cigars a week and vape so my blood nicotine level is probably higher than my smoking habit would otherwise indicate.

Nicotine is nicotine, whether it's cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco, or vaping. My hospital's insurance plan makes no distinction between them and we're subject to random testing if we declare ourselves as non-tobacco users. Luckily, my schedule is weekends so Monday is the only day I can be tested. Therefore, I refrain from smoking the days before to clear my system. It's also a matter of not testing positive/negative as it just has to test below a certain level, which i can't recall off the top of my head.

Are you serious? There are companies that will not hire you if you are a smoker? I've never heard of that! Pretty sure they would not be allowed to refuse hiring people for this reason in the UK. Where are you from? Also, what happens if you are subjected to second hand smoke on your way to the test? lol

Affirmative action provides no protection for tobacco and drug users. If I were an employer, I'd refuse to hire drug/tobacco users as well. It's one thing if you only smoke on your lunch break, but the typical cigarette smokers are taking 10 minute breaks every hour, so what does that equate to in terms of productivity?
  • Like 1

Affirmative action provides no protection for tobacco and drug users. If I were an employer, I'd refuse to hire drug/tobacco users as well. It's one thing if you only smoke on your lunch break, but the typical cigarette smokers are taking 10 minute breaks every hour, so what does that equate to in terms of productivity?

Equating anyone who admits to using tobacco or drugs with a chain smoker who needs to take a smoke break every hour is quite a leap.

• Like 1

Equating anyone who admits to using tobacco or drugs with a chain smoker who needs to take a smoke break every hour is quite a leap.

A 1 cigarette per hour smoker isn't a chain smoker, but i have yet to see a 1 a day cigarette smoker.

A 1 cigarette per hour smoker isn't a chain smoker, but i have yet to see a 1 a day cigarette smoker.

Yeah but there are '1 a day' cigar smokers, and the test that ElPuro mentions, doesn't seem to differentiate between them.

I'd be much less inclined to hire someone who was a drinker than a smoker! As for needing frequent breaks....do they not hire people with medical conditions, who might need to visit the bathroom every few hours? If they tried that here, there would be an uproar.

Also, employees (at least under EU laws) are entitled to regular breaks, depending on the type of work they are doing. For example, if you work at a screen, it is recommended that you take regular breaks. But still, the duration and frequency of breaks is determined by law, and by what the employer wants to allow - they can't just assume that certain groups of people are going to take more breaks than what is allowed. What about fat people? Don't we hire them either, in case they nip off to the kitchen every 45mins? Bloody ridiculous lol.