Cuban Cigar Sizes

I'm not new to Cuban cigars, but I have been away for a few years (things have changed a lot in terms of what is available), and I have recently become more interested in sampling different brands/vitolas. So, I created a spreadsheet sorting all the current Cuban vitolas by size. This helps me to learn the different sizes, and to have a way of comparing them.

I used a formula to calculate cigar size as follows: ((Ring Gauge)*(length))/100. I don't know if this kind of thing has been done before, but I find it useful to determine the overall size of the cigar - the formula basically calculates the volume of tobacco in a very basic way. Of course, there are some minor complications with Torpedos, and especially the Perfecto/Presidente shapes. I hope that newcomers to cuban cigars might find this useful.

I have all cigars in the spreadsheet, and anyone who wants it is welcome - but here is a list of the most common sizes, as a guide to what vitolas are currently being produced, and which are most abundant. I have not counted cigars where the same size is available in an aluminium tube, and only vitolas that occur in current regular production more than twice are included. I added the smallest and largest vitolas out there for reference. Torpedos have a 5% reduction in volume to account for the shape, and no Perfecto made the list.

By Size on the left, and by most common vitola on the right:

Size4.png

I used a formula to calculate cigar size as follows: ((Ring Gauge)*(length))/100. I don't know if this kind of thing has been done before, but I find it useful to determine the overall size of the cigar - the formula basically calculates the volume of tobacco in a very basic way.

What's the interest, compared to the weight of each vitola, which is fully documented?

Upon a smidge further thought, for a correct volume calculation:

- the ring gauge should be divided by 64 to produce an actual diameter in inches

- at this point, you have a diameter in inches, but a length in mm, so you have to convert one or the other, and use the same units, lest we fall prey to the same problem that ruined the Mars Climate Orbiter mission (thanks, Lockheed!)

- now divide the diameter in half, then square it, to generate r^2, and multiply by pi and the length

• Like 2

You guys are absolutely right - my formula is not an accurate representation of the volume of a cigar. It should be the diameter multiplied by the length. However, the purpose was to come up with a way of ordering vitolas by size, so I think this is still accomplished.

What's the interest, compared to the weight of each vitola, which is fully documented?

I didn't believe weight to be a reliable indicator, due to differences in humidity. I didn't know that 'official' weights were available, until I saw Planetary's link. I still think that calculating the volume ourselves would be more accurate than any 'official' figures from Cuba.

What is the point of this?

The point was to find out how the size of one vitola compares to another. For example, which is bigger, Coronas Gordas or Coronas Grandes? It's not easy to know this without seeing the figures. The other point was to see a listing of the most common sizes, and how many cigars are produced in each vitola. New smokers will not have any clue what the difference is between a Dalias and a Cremas. Generally, I create things that would have been helpful to me when I was starting out. This way of viewing the main vitolas and their levels of production is helpful to me, so I thought it might help someone else.

New smokers will not have any clue what the difference is between a Dalias and a Cremas.

New smokers interested in cuban sizes can (as I did myself) consult the official HSA dedicated web page , the vitolario:

http://www.habanos.com/en/vitolario/?edition=1

(use "filter by galera" to see all sizes side to side).

This resource is available since over 10 years.

Ok, so here is the same thing using Planetary's correct formula. It shows around a 2% difference from the official weights.

Vol1.png

New smokers interested in cuban sizes can (as I did myself) consult the official HSA dedicated web page , the vitolario:

http://www.habanos.com/en/vitolario/?edition=1

(use "filter by galera" to see all sizes side to side).

This resource is available since over 10 years.

That site is full of incorrect information, and certainly not one that I would recommend as a resource. Also, I don't think a comparison, by eye, is an accurate way to judge different sizes. Even if I did, does that page really seem like a good way to compare two different sizes? The vitolas you wish to compare might be miles apart. There is also no clear way to see which vitolas are the most common.

Another option would be to purchase 18 cigars. One of each size. Look at them, hold them, smoke them and then decide which size you like best. Then you can buy a bunch more and realize that you made a mistake and you actually prefer a different size more. Then you can buy a whole bunch of those. Then you will realize you have a storage problem so you will buy more storage. Uh oh, your storage looks too empty. Now you need to fill it up.

Yeah, this was the other reason for the thread lol. :)

Another option would be to purchase 18 cigars. One of each size. Look at them, hold them, smoke them and then decide which size you like best. Then you can buy a bunch more and realize that you made a mistake and you actually prefer a different size more. Then you can buy a whole bunch of those. Then you will realize you have a storage problem so you will buy more storage. Uh oh, your storage looks too empty. Now you need to fill it up.

... why smoke them when you can keep them for years in a box and brag about how old they are? -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 2

... why smoke them when you can keep them for years in a box and brag about how old they are? -LOL

I'm going to ignore this remark in the hopes that all my hobbies and predilections create enough distraction to avoid the great abyss in the center of existence, lest I descend inescapably into nihilism.

Hey, those Cohiba 50ths look pretty swank, eh?

• Like 2

I'm going to ignore this remark in the hopes that all my hobbies and predilections create enough distraction to avoid the great abyss in the center of existence, lest I descend inescapably into nihilism.

Hey, those Cohiba 50ths look pretty swank, eh?

Don't fear the abyss mate...! I keep it at a prefect 70˚F and 60rH, all the network and foreign language channels are blocked and we have a fast internet connection... As long as the spellchecker keeps working, we are all in business!

Oh, bring plenty of lighter fuel and your own cutter.

-the Pig

• Like 1

Don't fear the abyss mate...! I keep it at a prefect 70˚F and 60rH, all the network and foreign language channels are blocked and we have a fast internet connection... As long as the spellchecker keeps working, we are all in business!

Oh, bring plenty of lighter fuel and your own cutter.

-the Pig

That is absolutely hilarious!! I've always hoped the abyss would be as you described.....but why 60 RH? Haha! Please let us not descend into the abyss of RH discussion-- twas only a joke.

You forgot to list Palmitas (32X152) Slim Panetelas, like the Md'O #4

Right now, the Médaille d'Or No. 4 is the only one that comes in that size. My list only includes the sizes that come up at least 3 times in regular production.