the martini

Ken Gargett

Another irritant, a martini AFTER dinner. I do shake my martinis, however small shards of ice have no business in a martini. When made properly, I expect usage of (and do so at home) a small mesh cocktail strainer. I can appreciate stirring a martini, as I do sometimes to not "bruise" a delicate gin in which case no strainer is necessary (NEVER shake a Manhattan, but that's another subject for another day). Always fresh vermouth (I keep in the refrigerator), but no more than 1/2 ounce. Bombay Sapphire with three olives, sometimes stuffed with blue cheese if I need an appetizer, like I first had at Petrossian Bar at Bellagio with Sevruga caviar and a Siglo IV to nurse a rather serious blackjack beating. Sometimes a Nolet's Gibson with vermouth-soaked cocktail onions. Always freeze the cocktail glass or if pressed for time or space in the ice box, cold water and ice on the counter for a few minutes. A twist is fine, but I prefer the fruit with a Vesper, per the recipe in the fabulous book, "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted Haigh. Lillet Blanc is a non-starter for me. Cocchi Americano was a revelation and I'm told the closest aperitif in current production resembling Kina Lillet, which makes the drink.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I'm a vodka martini person. Dirty vodkas is my only martini as others don't fit my tastes.

Got to love Chopin vodka! Here is the special edition I'm enjoying now.

306de1b8ffc152b24e993f494a8f7e92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1