Don't Think - Just Smoke! (Rant)

It sometimes seems that those with the most related knowledge to contribute to a post do not have the time to post on it, while the ones with nothing but crap tend to have all the time in the (online) world.

I understand the rant but also know what translates to some as offensive may have been fully misconstrued by the lack of smileys :)

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Civility, charity, consideration. It's not that hard. Come with the spirit to share your joy and love of the hobby and the good that it does for you. How could you go wrong starting from this basis?

I'm definitely in the don't over think it catagory but also am affended when people are rude. Hey, if your not interested then don't read it. Some people are interested. It always seems to be the sam

@Smoker. Welcome to the Internet. And especially, forums. I hear what you're saying. There are a lot of threads I don't have interest in but i don't go into them to make that point. Unfortunatel

I am gonna chime in here.

Simply because this type of thread infuriates me to no end.

How dare you say there are two groups of people on this forum.

In saying that though, let me say this, there are two types of people in this world.

Type 1.) Those that smoke cigars

Type 2.) Those that don't

Which do you belong to?

&

What's for dinner?

:spotlight:

That's racist!

• Like 1

You had a post pulled Mika on US politics. No need to complain rolleyes.gif . Blatant breach and you knew full well where it is likely to head.

Big boy pants is the key cigar.gif

I had no idea a thread on Game of Thrones mash up with Trump would be considered Politics (purely because he's running for Presidency) but rather an amusing piece for fans of GOT to be honest. Then Ken came along and ruined it wink.png I knew immediately it WOULD be pulled.

I'm always wearing big boys pants Rob, I guess Aussies don't get offended as easy as others.

it does happen quite a bit and I am thankful to experienced members who provide links.

Search is your friend. Do that first but if you fail to come up with the answer you seek, never ....ever....feel like you cannot ask any question (within the FOH rules).

We all started somewhere.

I just don't want new members to miss out on the wealth of knowledge and responses that are located on the original topic thread. 2 threads come to mind.

1. Humidity - Ray (Pigfish) has responded with the equivalent of 4 Harry Potter novels. Often not understandable (rotfl.gif ) to anyone but once read and understood, humidity never needs to be brought back up.

2. Pictures of your humidor - Probably my favorite thread not just bc i started it but bc it's so fun to go through and admire. Topic recently was reposted and the link to original was posted very quickly but ignored. Not too many people posted pictures thereafter and this new thread faded away.

• Like 1

I just don't want new members to miss out on the wealth of knowledge and responses that are located on the original topic thread. 2 threads come to mind.

1. Humidity - Ray (Pigfish) has responded with the equivalent of 4 Harry Potter novels. Often not understandable (rotfl.gif ) to anyone but once read and understood, humidity never needs to be brought back up.

2. Pictures of your humidor - Probably my favorite thread not just bc i started it but bc it's so fun to go through and admire. Topic recently was reposted and the link to original was posted very quickly but ignored. Not too many people posted pictures thereafter and this new thread faded away.

Relax, enjoy, don't stress yourself over analysing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I have not noted the below on this forum but I have only been a member for a short time and have not been engaged daily. The couple of questions I've asked have been graciously answered.

Great Post OP! I've noted similar behavior on most every hobby group I've participated in over the years...dating back to the newsgroups that preceded forums. Regardless of the hobby (cigars, poker, watches, flashlights, EDC, Darts, pocket knives...) or forum/newsgroup, there always appears to be a segment of "veterans" that are worn out from certain conversations/discussions. My consistent advice to those weary of certain topics is always to ignore those threads and allow others, not weary of these topics, to respond.

Without the influx of new blood with questions (even with many being repeat questions) the topic range can become very limited. I think a wider on-topic conversation range is good fuel for a thriving community.

I don't know if I just suck at searching or if it's the search engine but many times when I search for something that I know is here somewhere I very often get "no search results found". I'll use a few key words or phrases then just give up. Sometimes I will move to google and it will actually find it for me.

You don't suck at all Clint, sometimes if you can't find something it simply could mean that the topic has never been raised. :)

A couple of points. Wikley's post is brilliant, I must say.

Why does one post? Me, to edify, engage and amuse. I could care less if the search function existed! All that there is to know about cigars can be found with research, and if that is true then forums are unnecessary. That is unless they are something more. Are they?

Forums represent a field of engagement. The tone, tenor and content, and the repetition make it exist.

The search function is for encyclopedias. Forums are about people interacting with other people, not machines.

FoH would be a weaker place if not for those who tirelessly mentor. If you feel differently, go right ahead and continue to complain! Better yet just post a link to your last complaint.

-the Pig

• Like 3

I have several interests in addition to cigars (e.g, photography, scuba diving, sax playing, weight lifting, etc.) and am on forums (fora?) for each. I have found that rather than consider the two types of posters identified by the OP as being mutually exclusive, they form a continuum that some of us progress (or regress) through over time. When I first become engaged in some new endeavor like smoking CCs, I know very little and therefore have all the questions about all the facts, variables, etc. that affect our wonderful hobby that the veterans have figured out years ago. It can border on neurosis. How important is the type of humidor, the proper rh, the way to light a cigar, how long to age, the different violas and brands and box codes and, and, and... And eventually you figure out what's important to you and what is not, and you can sit back a bit and just smoke. That is, until you get exposed to some new phenomenon and regress back to analysis mode. Anyway, that's how it goes with me, so I always try to respect the analytical types and am thankful when they expose me to a new neurosis I need to tame. And I respect the respectful veterans who are willing to share their knowledge and experience, especially when they give respectful guidance about what things, in their opinion, are not worth worrying about. Overall this forum has been an outstanding resource and much more civil than some of the others I frequent.

• Like 2

When I started up with cigar forums, friends with more experience advised me to : Light up, enjoy, enjoy one another, ignore the b.s... Time on earth is a luxury.

Your trip is short. Dig what you dig.

Light up, enjoy, enjoy one another, ignore the b.s...

Trying to understand blends, vitolas, flavors, terroir, etc, all things commonly discussed on cigar forums (that justify their existence) is BS?

A hobby for which you do not want to give your time and your reflection is only a habit, IMO.

^ No, no. I may have phrased that oddly. I was hoping to convey that it is key to ignore inflammatory crap and enjoy what you love- i.e. the cigars and everything that surrounds them...I mean by 'dig what you dig' is diving in to what you love.

• Like 1

It sometimes seems that those with the most related knowledge to contribute to a post do not have the time to post on it, while the ones with nothing but crap tend to have all the time in the (online) world.

I understand the rant but also know what translates to some as offensive may have been fully misconstrued by the lack of smileys smile.png

The world does need more smileys. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

To me, cigar nirvana more like enjoying a sublime culinary experience than being in the zone athletically. There is time to drift in and out of the sensations, and periodically reflect on it as it's happening, trying to tease out the nuances, then drifting back into the experience.

They're not usually.

But for me, to really experience "cigar bliss" (happens maybe once or twice a year if I'm lucky) there is absolutely no thinking involved.

Get what youre saying Clint. Absolutely! But in these transcendental moments, it is always the smoke the takes the lead, switching off thinking (or better say pondering), the rest of the outside world and sets oneself into this magical mood. It is never the 'thinking' that would distract from a great smoking experience.

So, for me, it is always a very effortless exercise.

• Like 1

Get what youre saying Clint. Absolutely! But in these transcendental moments, it is always the smoke the takes the lead, switching off thinking (or better say pondering), the rest of the outside world and sets oneself into this magical mood. It is never the 'thinking' that would distract from a great smoking experience.

So, for me, it is always a very effortless exercise.

I have to agree with this. Not being snotty, but it is difficult to understand deep thinkers, lets call them 'ponderers' unless you are one. Or, perhaps if you know one intimately.

There are all "types" of people out there. We are as different inside as we look outside, human characteristics notwithstanding. Believing that everyone in life is the 'same' as you, I believe is a profound mistake. I don't mean this as in superior or inferrer, or having greater or lesser human rights... I mean it as in equal, the real mathematical meaning, as in exactly the same. No two people are the same, therefore no two people are equal.

Smoking a cigar, like listening to good music "frees" the mind to wander and create. It is actually an aid to thinking, and does not interfere with it. The TV for example, in my case, interferes with it. The TV is mind numbing, and when I don't wish to think, I watch TV... I watch TV in the evening when I want to switch my brain off. I actually do it as a preparation for bed, so that I can sleep.

Smoking is a cerebral event for me, or at the very least, that is its highest elevation. That is the reason it is not a habit. A habit is something that you do almost unconsciously, typically to satisfy some sort of craving. Smoking is not that, not for me anyway.

Smoking is a "zone." It is a great time to think and ponder. It is one of the reasons that I like it so much. Smoking is complementary to deep thought, at least for me!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 4