Mistreated and dried out smokes.

So I did a bad thing and let my cigars get dried out. I was just getting into Cubans and then life happened. Bought a house and my son was born, there went the smoke budget. Got the opportunity to chase work within my company so I jumped on it. Sold all my NC's, packed the few CC's I accquried in a wineador and off I went. I did good upkeeping them till after 3yrs and 3 moves across the country I landed in Texas. They then went into my garage and sat in there for two 100°+ summers. A couple of months ago I dug them out and brought them in. A few of the singles cracked and split, but most survived, especially the ones in boxes. So I've been rehydrating them and smoking them, everything seems fine but I'm pretty much a noob. On other forums guys told me to toss them cause they were garbage. What do you guys think? Most of them are from 08 so have a bit of age. Are they ruined or just aged cigars?

• Like 1

Smoke them, they just never will be what they could've been. If you like them, great! Just let it be a lesson you wasted what could have been an 8yo habano, sux?

• Like 1

I don't know how NCs behave when they have dried, but habanos are very resilient. They may have lost all or part of their oils, but they're still smokable. It's up to you to decide if they're enjoyable or not. The guys who told you to toss them are probably NCs smokers.

• Like 3

Yeah it's kind of hit and miss on the oil. I just don't have much experience with the cigars original tastes, I hardly smoked any beforehand. So I don't know if they are tasting like normal aged cigars, from what I understand they lose alot of flavor for the first several years then have a rebound after quite a few years? I didn't have alot of expensive stuff, only thing I'm butthurt over is my box of Boli Petit Belicosos.

And because a good post is worthless without pics biggrin.png

That's some good selection you got there. If you're thinking of trashing them, just send them my way. I'll enjoy them for you. ???

On a serious note, CC can be revived but slowly. I would keep them at humidity level of 60 then slowly increase it to 67 to 68. That's just me though, others may have difference of an advice.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah I've just used 65% Heartfelt beads, no hurry. Been smoking them while waiting for boxes from here to arrive and rest. The Quinteros taste awesome, chunked a bunch of Fonseca Cosacos, they had spotty white mold issues and wasn't a fan anyways. Thanks for all the input fellas

Maybe they didn't dry out as much as you think. The average humidity in most of TX is somewhere between 55%-80% through most of the year. I'm sure West Texas is a bit drier, but I'm not sure how much. If your sticks were packed away in cedar in the garage, I would think they are still ok.

Half of this is 90% mental. Mix a few fresh cigars in with a few of the old ones and smoke through them blindly. See if you can tell the difference.

• Like 2

I've revived some old sticks my dad gave me. Just let them sit in my humidor for a year (deep and hidden), kind of forgot about them, realized it had been a year, smoked a couple.

Some were still mildly flavorful, others pretty gone. All smoked ok but with loose draws.

Just some input. To further echo: if you like em, smoke em.

Yeah I think y'all are right....I'm smoking a Monty4 now. Medium, thick smoke, coffee and hints of chocolate, slight pepper in and out. Great smoke by my book. I'll just keep smoking and enjoying them.

This happened to me a while back, but luckily it was only with a single cigar lol. It was a RASS that I carefully allowed to rehydrate for about 6 months. I have to say, it was quite horrific! I felt ill after attempting to smoke it.

But, I agree with those who said that you should smoke them if they seem ok, and throw them if they don't taste good.

Had a box of Siglo VI and a box of RaCF travel across the globe for over a year. They finally showed up. The RACF didn't quite make the cut most of the wrappers had become compromised and after 2 years of trying to rehydrate them got pitched but the Siglo VI didn't seem too bad. Mostly cracks at the foot of the cigar mostly caused by me trying to rehydrate them too quickly. Maybe the wrapper with the perfecto size was a little bit more finicky. However I've kept the Siglo VI some have been okay some have been pitched a few mils in, some have become more of a Robusto because of cracked wrappers but as with all cigars its about the experience and personal enjoyment. Keep'em smoke'em and if good great if not pitch, life will move on and there will always be another cigar/experience.

• Like 1

I had a few boxes that were in the LAX customs "humidor" for a couple of years before they showed up in my mailbox. I couldn't believe how good they still were. ----sam

• Like 2

I would not consider them compromised at all unless they proved to be so. Instead, I'd consider them as being aged! Good luck!

• Like 2

I have recently just come out of a situation where some of my collection were stored at 55RH for a 3-4 month period. The cigars themselves were mostly wonderful flavour wise, though sadly were prone to splitting as I smoked them. This experience makes me more inclined to say that the problem with dry cigars is not lost flavour but harsher burn and construction issues.

• Like 1

Had a box of Siglo VI and a box of RaCF travel across the globe for over a year. They finally showed up. The RACF didn't quite make the cut most of the wrappers had become compromised and after 2 years of trying to rehydrate them got pitched but the Siglo VI didn't seem too bad. Mostly cracks at the foot of the cigar mostly caused by me trying to rehydrate them too quickly. Maybe the wrapper with the perfecto size was a little bit more finicky. However I've kept the Siglo VI some have been okay some have been pitched a few mils in, some have become more of a Robusto because of cracked wrappers but as with all cigars its about the experience and personal enjoyment. Keep'em smoke'em and if good great if not pitch, life will move on and there will always be another cigar/experience.

RACF are prone to wrapper cracking even under perfect storage - I'm not surprised. I just checked on my box and they were always stored perfectly but a few have minor cracking at the foot.