Where to buy spanish cedar in Brisbane, Australia

Bucket23

Does anybody know where to buy some in Brisbane, or even in Australia to then get shipped to Brisbane.

I'm looking at making a floor to ceiling humidor. 2100mm high x 800mm wide x 450mm deep (approximate).

I am building three of these, one for the humidor and two for bourbon bottles and display cabinet. I was thinking of making with pine and then lining the humidor one with the spanish cedar. The alternative is making all three with spanish cedar, but I think it will be too expensive.

I haven't worked out the humidification setup yet (electric or otherwise). Just concentrating on building the cabinets for the den and then I'll work out the rest, i.e. ventilation for the room, etc.

Thanks.

Sounds like a pretty awesome plan...

Dont know if they stock it, but a few places to try...

Big Red Shed at Darra

A Wood Shed also at Darra

David Linton Furniture & Timber at Maleny

Also just a little more info that i learnt when thinking about doing something similar.... i believe Spanish Cedar isnt a Cedar and is more in the mahogany family. There is a maghogany which has the same properties in terms of humidication and smell as red cedar. Buggered if i can remeber which but im sure the wood places will tell you.

I got my custom shelves shipped from Forrest (@ http://wineadors.com) a few yrs ago.

Your exchange rate pain will be much greater now, but the quality is great!

edit - Forrest has shipped many orders to Australia, for folk here as well.

• Like 1

Sounds like a pretty awesome plan...

Dont know if they stock it, but a few places to try...

Big Red Shed at Darra

A Wood Shed also at Darra

David Linton Furniture & Timber at Maleny

Also just a little more info that i learnt when thinking about doing something similar.... i believe Spanish Cedar isnt a Cedar and is more in the mahogany family. There is a maghogany which has the same properties in terms of humidication and smell as red cedar. Buggered if i can remeber which but im sure the wood places will tell you.

Thanks Partriar,

They don't seem to stock it. Will keep looking.

Just do a search, tons of information over the years on spanish cedar and where to get it in Austrailia.

Thanks rckymtn22. I did do a search but only found one place in Sydney, which doesn't stock it anymore. They said it was a controlled species.

Do you know of any inparticular?

In one thread on this El Pres gave the name of the company he used for the walk in FOH headquarters in Brisbane. Read it a long time ago though so not sure which thread its in. You might have to look through all the pages in this section.

Edit: found the old post with a Google search, try Harris Furniture at Sumner Park, if it pans out thank El Presidente.

Thanks rckymtn22. I did do a search but only found one place in Sydney, which doesn't stock it anymore. They said it was a controlled species.

Do you know of any inparticular?

No as I am in Canada. Did come across this posting ... http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122425#entry585334

• 3 years later...