Does Presentation matter to you with Whisky?

ChanceSchmerr

A lot of talk always about presentation with cigars. Fancier box/bands = higher price = better smokes?

What about with whisky?

I have this debate often with a friend and fellow brother in my local Whisky Society. We have similar whisky tastes, although he does enjoy Canadian Whisky a bit more than I do, aside from that we're on the same page.

However, to him the presentation of the whisky (the box, the bottle, the art) makes a big difference. He typically steers away from whiskies such as Laphroaig because of their plain, simple can design. I argue that it doesn't matter what the can looks like, it's the whisky in your glass that counts. He agrees to a point...but still passes over the Laphroaigs when he buys something (at his own admission), being happy to pick up such bottles as Glenfiddich Age of Discovery, with flowery art on the box and a big marketing story to go along with.

To each their own, but for me - I don't care if it's sold in a brown paper bag. If the whisky is stellar, I'll buy. Some of the finest whiskies I've had came in plain industrial-style labels like the old Signatory bottles. The old Brora releases from the mid-2000s were famously austere....and such ridiculously good whisky.

Your thoughts?

The presentation I prefer is a two part combo.

1. A lot of it

2. In a glass

I'm more concerned about the taste although I do sometimes fill empty bottles with honey when I run out of mason jars. It makes for a unique package to give to friends.

• Like 2

Agreed on the above point!

I learned my lesson relatively quickly on buying whisky based upon the presentation. I bought a bottle of Dalmour in customs and my god it was bland! Isle of Jura are selling well and I bet a large proportion of that is due to marketing.

I'm not that impressed by presentation, although I admit sometimes it gets my attention, for example, Hibiki (the unique 24 faceted bottle), Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique, Remy Martin XO Cognac (again, a unique bottle shape).

On the other hand, some companies like to present their brands in a traditional, non-ornate manner, which I quite like too. For example, Hendrick's Gin and Cherry Heering, which both look like they come out of medicine jars!

P.S. I realise I've sidetracked the conversation in mentioning other Alcoholic spirits, but in summary, whisky presentation doesn't sway me one way or the other. I like my Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

The only thing that's important about the presentation is that it contains an age statement.

You can dress up 3-year old spirit in all the gold, silver and meaningless wanky names you like, but it's all cheap sham.

Single Malt. Plain bottle. Age Statement. All you need.

• Like 4

The only thing that's important about the presentation is that it contains an age statement.

You can dress up 3-year old spirit in all the gold, silver and meaningless wanky names you like, but it's all cheap sham.

Single Malt. Plain bottle. Age Statement. All you need.

yep the more crap put on the packaging makes them look nasty to me ..like Ghurkha cigars that is D grade marketing I just turn the page.

• Like 1

On the other hand, some companies like to present their brands in a traditional, non-ornate manner, which I quite like too. For example, Hendrick's Gin and Cherry Heering, which both look like they come out of medicine jars!

Ahh, but John, don't you see? That is fancy packaging! It stands out from the crowd and gets your attention.

Marketing doesn't care about the people who just care for the taste of the whisky. They are targeting the people who buy with their eyes.

Personally, I'll buy my regular tipple of choice, but on occasion I will buy something that catches my eye. Though, if the packaging looks gaudy or overly ostentatious, I'll pass right by.

• Like 1

Of course the whisky itself is by far most important. That said though, I do appreciate what e.g. Compass Box do with their labels. They obviously put a lot of thought and effort in their labels and boxes and I usually appreciate the result. If the whisky was crap I of course wouldn't buy it but if it's quality whisky I do like a well designed label.

I enjoy packaging that isn't over the top simple, and is also clever and attractive.

I also want details - age statements, distilling dates, bottling dates, cask type maturation etc...

My favourite presentations are Scotch Malt Whisky Society (although their independent bottlers, and not a distiller)

I also like the Balvenie Single Barrel Series, and the Laphroaig Cask Strength bottlings in wooden cases.

Presentation is everything. And those that say it isn't, aren't in touch with how much it affects their retail choices. We all taste with our eyes. In saying that, whisky/ey, like cigars, is heavily research influenced, as well as peer influenced. But initial, or impulse, choices are all presentation based.

I personally am attracted to the apothecary type bottlings, with old school labelings, such as Balvenie. They are the coolest.

Overall though, distillers with cool presentations are Sullivan's Cove, Nant, Powers, Scapa, Suntory, Lagavulin, and fond of Tyrconnell too.

Whoever is in charge of Bruichladdich packaging needs a stern talking to. Cause that **** is whack.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 2

Agree with Jer above. Of course the whisky is the most important, but we are all influenced by packaging and storytelling. Ardbeg Supernova, Bowmore Devils Cask, Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix, Arran Illicit Stills, Balvenie Tun 1401, etc....people buy bc its a cool story/packaging. If the whisky is excellent, bonus.

I actually like plain packaging for whiskey. I like the old school round straight bottles (like Basil Hayden minus the metal strap.

Although most stating that we purchase with our eyes is true, It's not necessarily good indicator of what is inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presentation is everything. And those that say it isn't, aren't in touch with how much it affects their retail choices.

I was going to argue with this.

Then I got distracted by a shiny thing. So I bought it. Which sort of proves your point.

But, seriously. Age statement. Say it proud. Say it shiny. Call it "Macallan Beige", or "Talisker Light Drizzle", by all means, but just tell us what's in the effing bottle and how old it is.

• Like 2

I was going to argue with this.

Then I got distracted by a shiny thing. So I bought it. Which sort of proves your point.

But, seriously. Age statement. Say it proud. Say it shiny. Call it "Macallan Beige", or "Talisker Light Drizzle", by all means, but just tell us what's in the effing bottle and how old it is.

Haha true.

Sent from my iPhone

My preferred packaging is a fantastic whiskey wrapped in something hideous, with a sister product with a horrible reputation. This marketing results in the whiskey being available and inexpensive, while "trend chasers" dig for inferior malt at a higher price.

Examples:

Old Gran Dad: the generic blend has a reputation as being best served wrapped in a paper bag on the curbside, but the bonded and 114 products are fantastic for their price (granted, the 114 has been found out and is now scarce).

Glen Grant: the popular bottling is garbage destined for nightclub mixed drinks, but the Speyside malts are unique and subtle. Slap a Macallan label on it and this would sell like crazy, but the Glen Grant label ensures I can find this on the clearance shelf.

You know, thinking about the whole suggestion of the power of packaging..... These companies that have invested plenty into marketing their new fandangled NAS whiskies as desirable stuff..... and I have had zero interest.

Their silly names and stories of fabled legend make me laugh.

As an example, Macallan changed their age statement whisky to bullshit names and fancy labels. I've never bought a bottle. It's not out of protest....it's that I have no interest. I'm insulted that they think they can charge me more for less.

Some of my favourite distilleries have gone the same way which disappoints me - Talisker, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich....

I still buy NAS, and I'm not trying to turn this thread into a NAS debate.... I'm just saying that fancy packaging and marketing doesn't sell me. Quality product does.

I had to jump on the NAS bandwagon, Rob. Basically, I agree with ayepatz. Tell us how old it is. Also, I feel like a toddler having their favourite lolly taken away and having a substitute forced on me. We all know that doesn't work! Plus, these companies 'coincidentally' seem to always bring out NAS products with appealing packaging. I feel like my mum is telling me, "come on Johnny, have this bright shiny Macallan bottle with no age on it!" all over again. Excuse me, whilst I go upstairs and pour some Macallan 12 tonight!

• Like 1

You know, thinking about the whole suggestion of the power of packaging..... These companies that have invested plenty into marketing their new fandangled NAS whiskies as desirable stuff..... and I have had zero interest.

Their silly names and stories of fabled legend make me laugh.

As an example, Macallan changed their age statement whisky to bullshit names and fancy labels. I've never bought a bottle. It's not out of protest....it's that I have no interest. I'm insulted that they think they can charge me more for less.

Some of my favourite distilleries have gone the same way which disappoints me - Talisker, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich....

I still buy NAS, and I'm not trying to turn this thread into a NAS debate.... I'm just saying that fancy packaging and marketing doesn't sell me. Quality product does.

How do you know, if you've never tried. Your first foray into this realm will be decided heavily by packaging.

But, since you are so far down the rabbit hole, and have research and experienced what you like, you will prossibly make a sound selection.

Also, some of your mates may say, "hey mate, you have to try 'whatever it is' because it is amazing/different/inspired." And this may persuade you.

But there will be those occasions where you want to try something new, and you may just be influenced by packaging.

At the end of the day though. The average punter or novice is who they are after. Their purchases outweigh the enthusiasts 100 fold!

Sent from my iPhone

For what a bottle of whisky costs these days, mate.... I don't want to be a pioneer discovering the next amazing tipple.

I'm happy to trust reviews and tasting notes from trusted and reputable sources / critics, and take their recommendations. I don't have the budget to experiment - it's got to perform right off the bat.

Do I always like what reviewers recommend? Absolutely not..... But I can say that every single time I've tried something that is unanimously condemned, my expectations are suitably met.

I'm really being honest dude - in relation to whisky, fancy packaging does nothing, zero, nada to pique my interest. It's quite the opposite these days actually.... Fancy packaging makes me wonder what they're trying to cover up!

Haig Club anyone?

I will concede that Karuizawa and Hanyu packaging intrigues me, and if it wasn't for the price of entry I would definitely go for it!

I will concede that Karuizawa and Hanyu packaging intrigues me, and if it wasn't for the price of entry I would definitely go for it!

Bahaha! You do realize that this one line completely nullifies everything you just said right?