Does Presentation matter to you with Whisky?

ChanceSchmerr

Bahaha! You do realize that this one line completely nullifies everything you just said right?

Yes, it's why I made the statement and the concession.

Though I think the main reason I'm more attracted to the idea of it is because it also very well reviewed, very hard to get and universally coveted.

Don't experienced whiskey drinkers go to the store with options in the back of their minds of what they want or would buy? I know I do. Enthusiasts read and know about it before they even make it to the store. They know how old it is, if it's ndp, nas, how it was matured, mashed etc. etc. Of course noobies consider packaging, just not sure what difference proving that point here makes.

I really don't give a crap about the packaging.

On the other hand if I am spending a lot of money on a bottle, I like it to look nice.

But if it doesn't (like a Society bottling), that's OK too as long as the whisky is top notch.

Generally speaking ( not just whiskey ) I don't mind nice packaging. Obviously, nice is subjective ( for me, fashions come and go, but classic never goes out of style ). The artwork on cigar dress boxes come to mind.

I guess I have more of an "issue" when the packaging starts to become the focal point and overshadow the actual product. I'm reminded of a tequila company who, a few years back, introduced a new tequila in a crystal bottle. For me it just seemed the bottle was stressed a bit too much, with the price reflecting that exclusivity.

I agree with members who feel that packaging / marketing does have an impact on consumers - otherwise there'd be plain packaging for everything! If nothing else, perhaps a well considered label might show that the producer actually cares about their product.

Don't experienced whiskey drinkers go to the store with options in the back of their minds of what they want or would buy? I know I do. Enthusiasts read and know about it before they even make it to the store. They know how old it is, if it's ndp, nas, how it was matured, mashed etc. etc. Of course noobies consider packaging, just not sure what difference proving that point here makes.

Ha! How many "experienced" cigar smokers buy ELs or REs or other fancy limited humidors or books without trying the cigars first?

Hype and packaging, often trumps anything else....

IDK how many?

The thread is about whiskey, not cigars. Try not to complicate the matter by confusing the two.

Your non-linear comparison didn't quite match up to your rash conclusion.

Then again, possibly I was talking about REAL enthusiasts? Meaning not the ones just trying to build a collection or impress others.

IDK how many?

The thread is about whiskey, not cigars. Try not to complicate the matter by confusing the two.

Your non-linear comparison didn't quite match up to your rash conclusion.

Then again, possibly I was talking about REAL enthusiasts? Meaning not the ones just trying to build a collection or impress others.

The comparison is fine. What exactly does a "REAL" enthusiast look like? Are you real or fake? Am I? Does building impressive collections automatically mean one is a fake enthusiast?

What was rash about my conclusion? Was it rash that I agree with the majority if posters? Is it rash that I had the gall to type out my opinion? Is it rash that I believe your post to be narrow minded, and your second post to be confrontational?

Deep thoughts and reflections.....

• Like 1

Wow...ease up people...its a good topic for discussion lets not ruin it... we are all here as friends ....as for specification as to what type of buyer you are... well one should never assume to much ....we are all there for the taking wink.png

The comparison is fine. What exactly does a "REAL" enthusiast look like? Are you real or fake? Am I? Does building impressive collections automatically mean one is a fake enthusiast?

It's a pretty simple point if you stop and think before lighting your hair on fire.

There's a difference between a collector, noob, and what's in my opinion the real enthusiast: one that buys whiskey to drink it.

There's nothing narrow minded about that, certainly no more narrow minded than this ultimatum:

"Hype and packaging, often trumps anything else.... "

I buy whisky to drink. Lots of it.

I do like when I hold a bottle and admire while drinking a dram, but I also enjoy many indie bottlings that are pretty plain.

A nice bottle, or even a little booklet gets the child in me excited a little like the small enjoyment from reading the cereal box as a kid.

Can't see myself ever buying the Macallan M though

• Like 1

It's a pretty simple point if you stop and think before lighting your hair on fire.

There's a difference between a collector, noob, and what's in my opinion the real enthusiast: one that buys whiskey to drink it.

There's nothing narrow minded about that, certainly no more narrow minded than this ultimatum:

"Hype and packaging, often trumps anything else.... "

Ok spicy. Whatever you say....lol

Of course noobies consider packaging, just not sure what difference proving that point here makes.

My point was/is:-

Does packaging matter to you with whisky?

Initially it (packaging) did matter. As a 'noobie.'

But became less important as I became an enthusiast.

I learned a little from my dad at first.

Then I started to read.

I am not that experienced.

I feel like I have decent palate.

I feel my mates think I am a whisky wanker.

I like being that guy that is fairly conversational about whisky/ey, because I am interested in it, and it makes for interesting conversation.

I Rye saying, 'the small enjoyment from reading the cereal box as a kid.' Is the best analogy we have yet! The Powers Johns Lane release 12 year old, came with a big pamphlet with the history that folded out into a big map and I was pretty stoked with it!

Then the Gordon & Macphail bottling of the 2001 Scapa is super plain, with a little Viking ship. And it just looks so ''matter of fact" it's awesome.

As a paychologist by trade, I understand people like bright sparkly stuff. Packaging is everything. At first.

The difference in proving that point, is, the point of the thread.

My opinion is gospel.

Slainte

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

Of course noobies consider packaging, just not sure what difference proving that point here makes.

My point was/is:-

Does packaging matter to you with whisky?

Initially it (packaging) did matter. As a 'noobie.'

But became less important as I became an enthusiast.

I learned a little from my dad at first.

Then I started to read.

I am not that experienced.

I feel like I have decent palate.

I feel my mates think I am a whisky wanker.

I like being that guy that is fairly conversational about whisky/ey, because I am interested in it, and it makes for interesting conversation.

In Rye saying, 'the small enjoyment from reading the cereal box as a kid.' we have the best analogy yet! The Powers Johns Lane release 12 year old, came with a big pamphlet with the history that folded out into a big map and I was pretty stoked with it!

Then the Gordon & Macphail bottling of the 2001 Scapa is super plain, with a little Viking ship. And it just looks so ''matter of fact" it's awesome.

As a paychologist by trade, I understand people like bright sparkly stuff. Packaging is everything. At first.

The difference in proving that point, is, the point of the thread.

My opinion is gospel.

Slainte

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...

It matters to me, but it isn't the deciding factor. I love when a brand or company takes the time to refine every aspect of their product and presentation. A well thought out presentation of the product that stays true to the history of the brand is nice to see. However if the product tastes like crap, then it gets downgraded to cooking whiskey.

Not really.

It catches the eye and generates the initial curiosity to find out more, entices you to pickup the bottle, have a read - maybe even leading to a purchase to have a go if interest is piqued.

The colour of the spirit is more important to me than the presentation but ultimately, it is the rarity or quality of the spirit overall for its selling price that matters to me.

These are the criteria for me to decide what I would like to keep buying for drinking or for stashing.