Hello From Australia

martinr

Greetings and welcome Martin!

Great intro and interaction. Glad to have you ok.gif

Thanks Habana Mike, its great to be here. Seems a nice place to sit, relax, read and chat.

Appreciate all the warm welcomes!

Trust me you will! Nice to meet you Martin.

Thanks JohnS ! Looking to order a couple of these brands with my next order of singles.

yes.gif

• Like 1

well last night didnt go to plan.... i had planned to have my first Cuban! but it didnt pan out that way....the weather wasnt great....but had stopped raining, by the time the kids were in bed after brushing their teeth and reading them a bedtime story.....or so i thought.... Oliver my youngest boy (3 in a week and a 1/2's time), decided he wasnt tired....so he woke up his older brother and both of them came out for some milk.....ok all sorted, milk drank and nicely tucked into bed again. only for Oliver then to come out to the lounge saying he needed to build me something from Lego...nice thought, wrong timing! :-) .. long story short, he went to bed happily with a promise that he would build me something nice today. So we will see what he comes up with.

All kids in bed and i hear Oliver finally fall asleep around 9:50, only an 1 hour 50 past his bedtime.....oh well, some nights are like that, well by that time i didnt have a good hour or so to sit and relax with a cigar....so i postponed till today.....so now im hoping things may go more to plan today.....we shall see.....

Plan is to start on the Quintero Breva :-)

So had my first Cuban Cigar last night....previous to that they were just a couple of european cheap cigars.

So what did i think..... it was the Quintero Breva that i had..... and for the most part i enjoyed it thoroughly.... for the most part...

I sat outside and took my time cutting and lighting, enjoying the unlit smell and the feel of the cigar. Though i think i need a better cutter....to be honest i just picked up a fairly cheap one. It took me a while to light it using matches and even then not sure that i had it full lit correctly as i wasnt getting a great deal of smoke on the draw. Although i think i might have been drawing to softly aswell.

I will say though, the cigar seemed really smooth, nothing harsh at all about the smoke though i must admit i didnt taste alot of flavours....but it didnt taste smokey like the cheaps ones i had tried. Throughout the course i had to re-light a few times....i dont know if this was because i didnt light it properly to begin with ? or i was taking it too slow between draws.....or because it was cool and slightly windy outside in addition to the above. in any case i enjoyed the 1st third despite the teething problems with lighting.

In the 2nd Third i started to draw firmer on the cigar and got a good amount of smoke and was really enjoying the cigar. however towards the very end, i guess the last 3rd, say the last 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 inches.... because i had enjoyed the cigar so much i didnt really want it to end and so kept smoking to the end until i was down to say 1 inch or slightly less ? not 100% sure....but i didnt enjoy it much at all, the smoke was getting hotter and tasted quite smokey..... and towards the end i think i was rushing the finish.... im not sure if taking it slower would help....or if its just that i dont enjoy a cigar right to the end as it gets hotter on the draw....and alot stronger. It left a really smokey taste in my mouth that wasnt there for the previous 2 thirds.

overall i did enjoy it, i think i have alot to learn and practice on and so would appreciate any comments or advise....?

lastly, how do you then cleanse your mouth to remove the smokey taste ? i enjoy the cigar but dont enjoy the aftertaste of smoke in my mouth that lingers when you then eat or drink. As it was time for bed, i brushed my teeth (3 times) and whilst it did help it didnt 100% remove it, and when i woke up this morning i had a really dry mouth and the taste of smoke was quite strong. I dont really enjoy that so much. Is there someway to stop this ? or is this just a part of cigar smoking ?

Look forward to any comments or advise you might be able to give.

Hope your all having a good day!

Cheers,

Martin

The aftertaste is part of cigar smoking. I reduce by chewing a whole mouthful of Premium crackers and then swallowing so it kinda scraps down my throat. Followed by a hot cup of tea, brush my teeth and mouthwash. Next morning I hardly notice the aftertaste.

Thanks Fuzz i'll have to give it a try, crackers, tea, brush :-)

are all cigars hot towards the end of the cigar ? say the last 3rd or even in the last inch or so...? by hot i mean the smoke.

Or am i drawing too hard ? or too fast ?

kinds feels like a waste if i stop too far out from the end, but i really dont enjoy that hot smoke.

It does get hotter toward the end, as the burning end if now a lot closer. If your lips are burning or your mustache has erupted in flames, it's a good sign you've nubbed it too far.

Thanks Fuzz..... :-)

At what point to most cigar smokers call it a day on a cigar ?

I heard Ken, in a recent video, explaining that the hot finish is more of an issue with newer cigars. Meaning that if you smoke something that has a little age on it, there is less chance of that hot last third.

EDIT: Here's the video - he mentions it at around 3m30s. I've found the same to be true, and you don't neccesarily need 20 years on it either. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeh the aftertaste is part of it , as for cleansing I'm usually drinking a beer or sipping a single malt so that helps too If not as you've mentioned brushing , also mints /gum helps . Have plenty water (or more beer) I find food of sorts helps too . A mate was saying that he eats an orange works for him I havnt tried this. I found it a little annoying too at 1st as my idea of a cigar was at the end of a long day sitting down relaxing beer food then shower bed then the taste etc next morning reminds u of hiw hung over u now are hahaha .as u become a more frequent smoker and your palate adjusts I think it's not as noticeable cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk