Quai d'Orsay Corona

I bought my first box of Quai d'Orsay ever in Havana a couple of months ago... Beautiful box (ULA - JUL15).

I do not really know the marca as I had never smoked one before buying - never really was recommended. I thought I'd give it a try at last. I smoke the first one on saturday and I must say I was not really impressed. Although I did not expect a full body cigar I thought it was too mild. It was not bad, just too mild. I realize the flavour profile ("mild & complex") is different from most Cubans but I never really gave that profile a chance in the past - same applies to ERDM, LGC

I'm now thinking it might be a cigar for the really hot summer nights - should pair nicely with a Glenmorangie 10 yo or anejo rum, imo.

SO: those who really enjoy this cigar, please educate me. Are these better aged? Do they become more complex and open up with time???

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

These tend to continue improving with age in my experience. They are lovely citrus and cream and shortbread or even biscotti like.

Try another. The first qdo corona I ever had tasted like hot cardboard. Yuk! I'm glad I tried more because they are certainly one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I liked QDO good enough fresh but really fell in love with them after smoking one 10 years old that I got from a brother here.

Do yourself a favor and try to search an aged one out and make the call for yourself. They may just not be to your liking ...or you will fall in love with them too.

I've heard 5 yrs is the turning point for these. I wish I could help out but all of mine are fairly fresh (2+yrs). I bough a few boxes to bury. Send me a pm in about 3 more years and I'll hook you up. ;-}

-Dan

As stated above, my box just turned 5 and the one I had yesterday was very good. I sampled one every 9 months or so and yesterday's stick was much better than the previous one I tried. Yesterday was a 90 pt cigar, the one prior roughly an 85. Age do these wonders IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what i've been reading around the boards the QD'O are some tasty cigars! I might have to give them a second look.

Back in 2003 I bought some Coronas and Grand Coronas they were very bland and hard draws. I still have 3/4 of a box each the Coronas seem to be coming around the G C nada!

• 2 weeks later...

I think what the boys paired these with in the video is ideal.

Fantastic champagne cigar

Mine are three years old. They came to me with a year and a half and were fantastic right off the truck.

Stronger than I thought and great complexity.

Citrus ginger granita like with its distinct sugar and slight salt

Great smoke!

Super classy

• Like 1

There are many better cigars for the money. A mild cigar that is easily over powered with the wrong beverage. Once they get through the sick period, I see little improvement.

"With your shield, or on it"...

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2016 at 7:28 PM, stigmata said:

I think what the boys paired these with in the video is ideal.

Fantastic champagne cigar

Mine are three years old. They came to me with a year and a half and were fantastic right off the truck.

Stronger than I thought and great complexity.

Citrus ginger granita like with its distinct sugar and slight salt

Great smoke!

Super classy

On 4/15/2016 at 9:00 PM, foursite12 said:

Early summer evening prosecco cigar. Blended by moonlighting French baguette bakers. Like nothing else.

It is truly a cigar to be matched with sparkling wines. The light, delicate shortbread and citrus notes of the QdO pair beautifully with anything bubbly! In my opinion, the sweeter sparkling wines such as Prosecco or demi-sec Champagne do an excellent job countering the drier nature of this cigar though even a good brut pairs well. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...