Ben Hur Remake - Trailer

MIKA27

The Trailer For The Ben Hur Remake Looks Pretty Great

Believe it or not but It’s been 91 years since the original Ben-Hur, which was such a brutal production that people actually died whilst making it. Thanks to the wonders of modern technology and occupational health and safety regulations the 2016 version is a lot less brutal, but is looking just as epic — although not quite to the level of the 1959 remake (it did win 11 Academy Awards, after all).

Ben-Hur is the epic story of Judah Ben-Hur (Jack Huston), a prince falsely accused of treason by his adopted brother Messala (Toby Kebbell), an officer in the Roman army. Stripped of his title, separated from his family and the woman he loves (Nazanin Boniadi), Judah is forced into slavery.
After years at sea, Judah returns to his homeland to seek revenge, but finds redemption. Morgan Freeman and Rodrigo Santoro also make appearances.
The film is based on Lew Wallace’s novel, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ — which is well worth a read. I highly recommend watching the original, too — if you haven’t already.
Ben-Hur will be in cinemas August 18, 2016.

Some things are better left untouched I think. It is disappointing that the major film industry is seemingly lacking in original ideas at the moment. The number of reboots/remakes/ridiculous sequels being pumped out at the moment is frustrating.

People will watch this and make up their minds which they prefer, I know I did with Poseidon Adventure.

I watched the remake and threw the disc in the bin. I now ONLY watch the original. :)

The issue these days is that there are hardly ever anymore 'Epic' movies being made. Look at the original Ben Hur which was 3 hours and 45 minutes, I bet the remake wont be anywhere near that. Thats half the issue IMO, stories are no longer told.

I personally would happily sit and watch such a length movie at the cinema anytime. I know there are others that would not.

People will watch this and make up their minds which they prefer, I know I did with Poseidon Adventure.

I watched the remake and threw the disc in the bin. I now ONLY watch the original. smile.png

The issue these days is that there are hardly ever anymore 'Epic' movies being made. Look at the original Ben Hur which was 3 hours and 45 minutes, I bet the remake wont be anywhere near that. Thats half the issue IMO, stories are no longer told.

I personally would happily sit and watch such a length movie at the cinema anytime. I know there are others that would not.

understand but i will still avoid it on principle.

agree re stories though. that said, the original intent with lord of the rings was possibly a single movie though more likely it was to be split in two. thankfully they did not.

• Like 1

Sometimes remakes are outstanding. A few examples include Scarface, The Thing, True Grit, 12 Monkeys, The Departed, Ocean's Eleven, The Maltese Falcon, Some Like It Hot, True Lies and Heat.

However, having seen Ben-Hur, the 1959 William Wyler version, many, many times, I can't quite come around to watching a remake.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes remakes are outstanding. A few examples include Scarface, The Thing, True Grit, 12 Monkeys, The Departed, Ocean's Eleven, The Maltese Falcon, Some Like It Hot, True Lies and Heat.

However, having seen Ben-Hur, the 1959 William Wyler version, many, many times, I can't quite come around to watching a remake.

You learn something new everyday I did not know The Maltese Falcon & Some Like It Hot were remakes!

You already did, mate! Lol

1959 version is a re-make of MGM's 1925 silent epic.

• Like 1

understand but i will still avoid it on principle.

agree re stories though. that said, the original intent with lord of the rings was possibly a single movie though more likely it was to be split in two. thankfully they did not.

I love those old long epics, not least for the Intermissions, where you'd hear the composers cutting loose without the restrictions imposed by the visuals.

I love those old long epics, not least for the Intermissions, where you'd hear the composers cutting loose without the restrictions imposed by the visuals.

sound of music, mary poppins, born free, even where eagles dare - as a kid i remember the intermission whenever someone would take us to the flicks. i thought that was standard. can't recall the first time i saw a movie without one but i do remember being quite disturbed and thinking something was not right. imagine if they did it today!!

• Like 2

sound of music, mary poppins, born free, even where eagles dare - as a kid i remember the intermission whenever someone would take us to the flicks. i thought that was standard. can't recall the first time i saw a movie without one but i do remember being quite disturbed and thinking something was not right. imagine if they did it today!!

Probably get better movies and overall satisfaction all around. 115 minutes is pretty much standard, after that you risk loosing audience attention etc. I think if they had an intermission people could take a break, refill the popcorn tub, use the restrooms etc and take a seat for another extended time. Think theaters would make a bit more off of concessions as well. Would love to see them bring back intermissions. I think the last one I remember was Jeremiah Johnson.

I have the same memory of the intermission as a youngster. If I can recall, in Australia, these began to be phased out in the early 1980s.

I have the same memory of the intermission as a youngster. If I can recall, in Australia, these began to be phased out in the early 1980s.

john, i'd have guessed early 70s (but then qld is always at least a decade ahead of you blokes).

think it varied a lot depending on the cinema.

john, i'd have guessed early 70s (but then qld is always at least a decade ahead of you blokes).

think it varied a lot depending on the cinema.

You'd remember rolleyes.gif I personally don't mind going to the movies and watching a long flick. Wish they made them again and perhaps allow a small break. Not that I need it, moreso those who complain after 90 min movies. What kind of story can one cram into 90 or 120 mins?

The old Stanmore theatre still had intermissions up until 1985.

The old Stanmore theatre still had intermissions up until 1985.

Yes, I went to the old Beverly Hills cinema, which was an independent old-style cinema near the inner-west suburbs of Sydney in the past, and they had the intermission and traditional choc-top/popcorn refreshments available aplenty during the break for their patrons. It was different time.

The Roxy in Parra was similar. Old style independent cinema, before they closed it down and turned it into a nightclub in the early 2000s.

I remember going to the Valhalla cinema in Glebe to see art-house or banned films. No other cinema in Sydney would have dared to screen Salo, the Three Colours trilogy or Caligula (except maybe those seedy Club X cinemas).

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, David88 said:

I'm going to see this either tonight or over the weekend but haven't read any reviews yet. Have any members been to see it yet? 

Not as yet David - I will watch it but surely this won't come close to the classic.