Watches: Indulging yet another hobby...

On 5/20/2017 at 9:53 PM, canadianbeaver said:

If you guys see my my previous posts, I love a nice watch. I wore my fanciest watch in a pool on a business trip with mr beaver earlier this month in Hawaii. The crystal got all steamy. To the company it has gone and it is going to cost equal to a box of stogies to fix.

Moved to the next watch posted but needed new battery, so I thought. Nope. Needs some kind of repair. Shite!

Wearing an Apple black thing given to all on our recent biz trip. Driving me nuts. Tells me to stand, walk, breathe, looks goofy and needs power plug in all night. Cannot give it away or stamp it with my foot in frustration, since must must wear it at any company event to show my appreciation and match mr beaver's men's model that night.

:cowpoop:

If you have the readies, there is a cunning alternative: the H. Moser Swiss Alps.  Impeccable Swiss craftsmanship and credentials, and it looks enough like the Apple to confuse the issue.  As an added bonus, it really only does tell the time -- no badgering, hectoring, nagging.  The only issue is the CAD35,000 price tag...

Swiss_Alp_Watch_Zzzz_5324-0207_Soldat_Wh

• Like 2

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very old.... Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

and..... vintage... Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This just came in today. Orient Mako II USA.

1 hour ago, gweilgi said:

If you have the readies, there is a cunning alternative: the H. Moser Swiss Alps.  Impeccable Swiss craftsmanship and credentials, and it looks enough like the Apple to confuse the issue.  As an added bonus, it really only does tell the time -- no badgering, hectoring, nagging.  The only issue is the CAD35,000 price tag...

Swiss_Alp_Watch_Zzzz_5324-0207_Soldat_Wh

Company will probably get sued by Apple for patent infringement.

"We patented a rectangular black watch with rounded corners!"

• Like 2

Fortunately the Chopard watch I show above will be ready by end of week. Cigars will be glad their smokin' arms will be dressed again.

Bvlgari might take a couple more weeks. 

:ok:

CB

6 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

Fortunately the Chopard watch I show above will be ready by end of week. Cigars will be glad their smokin' arms will be dressed again.

Bvlgari might take a couple more weeks. 

:ok:

CB

B.Zero1?

Two new acquisitions: 

Seiko SNZF17J1 - one of the best, inexpensive Sub-type divers

GinsengSeiko_SNZF17J1IMG_2331_zpskiq18th

and Unimatic Modello Uno. Lovely design, just crisp and beautiful, purity of design, with a high level of finish. The rubber strap is very nice but I don't like it. Also came with a high quality, classy Nato. Have already ordered an aftermarket 22mm Hexad Oyster bracelet with ratchet diver clasp. 

GinsengUnimatic_ModelloUno_IMG_2332_zpsv

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

Nice! I really want one.

Have had it service 4-5 times over the years and refinished once.  I should've replaced the dial, but at the time I did not think it was warranted.  Great watch; understated and timeless.  Have a croc IWC strap with deployment clasp from Mark XII, but haven't swapped it for that several years.

There are a few online retailers that sell IWC for great prices, obviously it's still expensive in relative terms.  My favorite new one is the new Aquatimer.  Pictures do not do it justice, but boy is that one hot with white dial.  Spent a lot of time in Singapore going watch shop to watch shop and that is on that really stuck out.

IW329004.e6d710dc5dcdf4167b5f92f8899082c

• Like 1

Have had it service 4-5 times over the years and refinished once.  I should've replaced the dial, but at the time I did not think it was warranted.  Great watch; understated and timeless.  Have a croc IWC strap with deployment clasp from Mark XII, but haven't swapped it for that several years.

There are a few online retailers that sell IWC for great prices, obviously it's still expensive in relative terms.  My favorite new one is the new Aquatimer.  Pictures do not do it justice, but boy is that one hot with white dial.  Spent a lot of time in Singapore going watch shop to watch shop and that is on that really stuck out.

IW329004.e6d710dc5dcdf4167b5f92f8899082c0.jpg

Unfortunately I can't justify buying an IWC as they lose too much value. That Aquatimer is interesting..I'll have to check it out in person. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

Does anybody own an IWC Pilot Flieger? Or any IWC for that matter?

I have a number of IWCs Great watches 

My Benz C63s actually has an IWC clock on the dash?

3 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

Unfortunately I can't justify buying an IWC as they lose too much value. 

Really?  You just have to buy them for a good price to start with.  My Flieger Chrono is worth more now used than I paid for it new.  Granted that was almost 20 years ago and from KL and I have spent probably $1500-2000 in servicing over the years...  An IWC you won't lose your shirt on; I don't find they lose much value from experience.

Rolex's newest offerings are pretty nice.  The rose gold and steel Yachmaster is a terrific watch for an "investment".  Very sought after colors for Asian market and they are biggest buyers for fancy watches.  You'll have an audience if you want to sell it.

Oh, and here's the above Unimatic looking much more serious on a MilTat Hexad Oyster bracelet with diver ratchet clasp. Great watch. Wish it had a bit more drop on the lugs but this is about a happy as it gets.

UnimaticModelloUno_IMG_2348_zpsyit7o5r2.

My father's Patek Philippe which he somehow had since long before I was born is a watch icon in our family. Not sure which brother has it since they have not worn it yet... we'll see.

Some beautiful watches displayed on the thread. Alas, I wear a Seiko G-Shock. Automatically adjusts itself using the atomic clock radio signal everyday and is accurate to less than 1 second. (I've checked it against our atomic wall clocks & the clocks on my computers.) Automatically adjusts for US daylight savings time. Solar battery will hold a charge for a month even if left in the dark after it is charged up. So, I've never needed to change batteries. Multiple functions including time in various  locations around the world for stoggie purchases. Good to 200 meters under water. Have used it under tough conditions with high shock, including shooting very powerful handguns (.500 S&W). I actually got it as a sports watch, but now that I no longer have to wear suits for work, use it all the time. Cost less than $100 US. The one 'irritating' thing about the watch is that I've had it more than 10 years and it shows no sign of decline in any way. I've thought about getting a new watch just for the heck of it, but there's really no good reason to do so.