Pappy

WhiteMamba

I know it's a long shot but I have a good friend who has been searching for a bottle of pappy van winkel. Does anyone know or have any ideas of where I might be able to get some?

Have you looked on eBay? You're not going to find any at retail anywhere, as you probably know. If there is any in eBay, it will be beyond stratospheric prices. Not worth it, imho. People are paying for the hype right now.

You'll probably have to squeal like a piggy to get any.

That was the one decent thing about working in a wine shop, I was guaranteed a bottle of Pappy every year (if I decided to take it).

Make friends. They release both the real stuff and the 12 year old (i think) once a year, in very limited quantities. Go down to the largest couple liquor stores in your area and ask if they ever get any in. If so, they will typically have a list, or you can get on their mailing list.

These lists are often hundreds of people long, and only get knocked down by maybe one or two dozen a year, but its the only way I know to do it. My old man has a half dozen bottles of the younger stuff and a few of the older from this method. He's made friends with all the local distributors, so gets calls on stuff all the time, rare 4 roses, **** from japan, etc. I think it all tastes like diesel fuel, so I don't mess with it.

I do however use the same method to regularly score rare crafts beers. Pliny the Elder, and Younger, beers from Ninkasi brewing and all the big guys here in CO come around all the time. You just have to know the right people......

Even if you were to get it at retail, most shops hold it for their best customers.

You might get lucky and find the new guy who doesn't know but considering how profile Pappy has gotten it's usually locked up if it's going to be in the store for any amount of time.

The good thing is that the Van Winkle family doesn't like the gouging and if stores are reported to be over-charging they will discontinue selling them the whiskey. But if you're buying in the gray/black market you'll be paying market value.

Binny's store outside Chicago said it comes out in fall. You wait in line after you find out when the store gets it in. Probably have to call to find out process. Then they sell 1 bottle per person until it runs out. At least that is what I was told.

However, I thought I read somewhere that within the last few years something had changed with the booze. Either a different blender making it or different still. Can't recall, so maybe someone here remembers if this is a fact or not. As with many things I thought I read the current stuff is different than years ago.

Good luck in the hunt!

Kbb, the bourbon that made Pappy famous was distilled at Stitzel-Weller, nothing being bottled now is from that stash. It's all at Buffalo Trace now. Bottles of the 23 year sold about 5 years ago were the last of that SW batch.

Pappy is just a barrel selection of what could otherwise be WL Weller, Buffalo Trace or any other product distilled and bottled there. That's a bit of simplification, however.

I know it's a long shot but I have a good friend who has been searching for a bottle of pappy van winkel. Does anyone know or have any ideas of where I might be able to get some?

If your friend would rather pay more instead of waiting years on a list: wait for fall, find the release list online (each state gets a different release date), search Craigslist (SearchTempest is my preferred tool) for someone trying to make a quick flip, pay their exorbitant price. (Please insist on a safe public meeting spot!). I've seen the 23yr being flipped right after release for ~$1,000 (only a $750 markup). However, the supply drops/price rises not long after release, and by this time of year the 23yr is being offered for ~$2k (not sure anyone is buying at that price, but that's what sellers are offering).

If they're even more willing to part with $ (and come on, we're already talking stupid amounts!), they can find any number of speciality shops willing to send them a bottle for $2,500.

Personally, I'd never be a buyer at those prices, as I'd rather have 10 great bottles of scotch, but to each their own!

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm more of a scotch guy myself but figured I would see if anyone here had any inside info. After all you'll never know if you never ask.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm more of a scotch guy myself but figured I would see if anyone here had any inside info. After all you'll never know if you never ask.

Considering secondary prices, the best you might get is a sample. Some places/states have Pappy lotteries. That will be your best bet.

Kbb, the bourbon that made Pappy famous was distilled at Stitzel-Weller, nothing being bottled now is from that stash. It's all at Buffalo Trace now. Bottles of the 23 year sold about 5 years ago were the last of that SW batch.

Pappy is just a barrel selection of what could otherwise be WL Weller, Buffalo Trace or any other product distilled and bottled there. That's a bit of simplification, however.

Good info here. The last PvW to contain the S-W juice was 2013 and only the 23 year expression. A bit oversimplified as there are so many other factors at play, but absolutely true, it is the same mash bill.

The liquor store in McCarren Airport in Vegas has all them for sale or did just a few weeks back. Check with them...

How much inflation?

Buy on ebay and run the high risk of getting a recycled bottle of 'fake' Pappy. Stuff if highly overrated IMHO.

• Like 1