Bug but not a Beetle

For the first time, I found some bugs in 2 boxes of cigars. A box of Monte 4 and Ramon Alones Superiores. They aren't , or don't appear to be tobacco beetles. Their more like tiny gnats. There are no holes in the cigars. Any ideas on who these little buggers are .

Wood mite. They show up every now and again when the local humidity spikes. I have not found any damage thus far.

• Like 1

definitely a wood mite... they are a nuisance but they are harmless. As of yet I've found no consistent way to avoid them, since I have all cabinet and desktop humidors.

Liberal application of a standard insecticide should take care of it.

ha that will work ....if it is cold outside where you live open the box for half an hour or so and they will fly away ok.gif

Vegemite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Only in the Southern Hemisphere. Depends where you live, could be Marmite.

Vegemite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Only in the Southern Hemisphere, otherwise Marmite.

Neither. AussieMite, OzeMite or MightyMite. We have a lot of mites down here. tongue.png

1393387337300.jpg

343920-cde99562-9e90-11e3-86e6-6b2856d2c

44017160-4a7a-432b-9245-d7e91ef801a0.jpg

• Like 1

How do you eat the above said spread / jam....?

Spread them on crackers or bread if not mistaken.

i used to be fed this stuff when i was a kid and my mom normally mix this in porridge. Back then it was Marmite.

Mostly used as a spread, though, I have seen some people put it in a glass of hot water to drink. You don't slather it on like peanut butter or jam, but used sparingly. Can also be used as an ingredient in cooking. It is an acquired taste.

Personally, I think it should be banned by the UN as a biological/chemical weapon.

• Like 1

Ha! I know some vegetarians who used to load up on this stuff in the 70s, back in the days before "gourmet" fake meat!

• 1 month later...

Wood mite. They show up every now and again when the local humidity spikes. I have not found any damage thus far.

This answer just saved me from a heart attack. I found some of these guys in my desktop humidor the other day and my cigars are now sitting in the freezer.