best ever western

Ken Gargett

my interest in this was fired up when i recently read a report describing 'once upon a time in the west' as not only one of the great westerns but great movies of all time. had the chance to watch it the other day. certainly thoroughly enjoyed it but not sure one of the greatest movies of all time. but it is a cracker. and that opening makes it a classic for me - three blokes meet charles bronson at the train "we only brought three horses, looks like we are one short". no, says bronson, "you brought two too many".

also because i see 'high noon' is on this weekend.

wondering what others thought. so many to choose from - so many great john wayne movies (chisum, el dorado, searchers, red river, sons of katie elder, rio bravo, man who shot liberty valance and more), the clint eastwood classics (good/bad/ugly - how good is that), can you count blazing saddles, the magnificent seven, shane??, wild bunch, pat garrett and billy the kid (soundtrack from dylan - how do you top that?).

thoughts?

• Like 2

I actually liked Tombstone...the only movie that I thought Val Kilmer played a good role in ...

Pale rider with Clint Eastwood was good as well .

westie, we have very different western tastes. thought pale rider was about clint's worst!

I always liked The Cowboys with John Wayne, i remember watching this when it came out I think in the very early 70's and loved it as kid, probably because the movie was about boys growing up into men.

The Outlaw Josie Wales, is probably the best Clint Eastwood western.

westie, we have very different western tastes. thought pale rider was about clint's worst!

It was Unforgiven not pale rider.... thanks Shlomo ...with Gene Hackman right.

• Like 1

I find it hard to name one favourite western as I am constantly changing my mind but I find The Wild Bunch is the one that I can watch over and over again.

I always lean toward Clint's westerns when I am in the mood to watch one. I think The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, along with The Outlaw Josie Wales are my two favorite from him. I just watch the Magnificent Seven the other night and got to remember just how good that movie is as well.

If I had to add two more, to make a top 5, I would most likely put Unforgiven on the list. Lastly, as a comedy, I really enjoy Maverick with Mel Gibson, not sure why, but I've seen it a ton of times and will usually watch it whenever I see it is playing.

On a side note, I've only watched it once, but I enjoyed Tarantino's new movie, The Hateful Eight. I need to watch it a few more times to see where I would rank it. It won't make the top 5, but to me, it was fun to watch.

GB&U for the soundtrack alone. Never got John Wayne, always looks like he's acting, if that makes sense. Clint seems more naturally tuned into the whole thing.

BTW - Westworld is a cracking film. Go Yul!

There's nothing like a great western! Ken, I concur that Once a Upon a Time in the West is a great film, a Spaghetti Western homage to John Ford's classic westerns. Director Sergio Leone was an Americanophile, although he didn't want to make another western after The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, the very success of that film meant that his gangster magnum opus, Once a Upon a Time in America, had to wait until the 1980s.

The first film to stand out in the Western genre, in my opinion, was Stagecoach in 1939. It was made in arguably Hollywood's greatest ever year (Gone With the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Wizard of Oz, Young Mr. Lincoln, Wuthering Heights), John Wayne was the lead due to director John Ford's insistence, it set the use of Monument Valley on the Arizona-Utah border as an iconic setting of many great westerns thereafter and it influenced Orson Welles in creating Citizen Kane (he watched it about 40 times, claiming it was a perfect picture).

I will categorise the great westerns, in my opinion, according to chronological decade below:

1930s: Stagecoach

1940s: The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, Red River, The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

1950s: High Noon, Shane, Johnny Guitar, The Searchers, Rio Bravo

1960s: How the West Was Won, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, A Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch

1970s: El Topo, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Blazing Saddles

1980s: The critical and box-office failure of Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate in 1980 meant that no major Hollywood Studio was brave enough to make a major western during this decade. Clint Eastwood was lucky to make Pale Rider in 1985.

1990s: Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven

2000s: 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit

2010s: The Hateful Eight, The Revenant

What a tough question Ken! It's like asking hwich of your children you love most..

For me I am torn between a few.

1) The Good The Bad and The Ugly

2) Like Westy I truly love Tombstone, brilliant cast, Kilmer as doc Holiday made that movie.

3) Rio Bravo a classic. Probably not so action packed as the others but it stands out for me and I still watch it to this day.

I lean towards Clint and the spaghetti western genre mostly. Here goes my attempt at a list in order:

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

The Outlaw Jose Wales

Once upon a time in the west

For a few dollars more

A fist full of dollars

Unforgiven

Django - Tarantino version

Shane

High Plains Drifter

Sure I've missed a few of my favs. I also remember enjoying the Trinity films when I was a kid but haven't seen them since.