Balvanie Single Barrel

Lant63

Pretty simple here, which is better 12 or 15? Also are they worth the price you pay? I know this is subjective so we will say in comparison to other single barrels out there. Looking forward to everyone's responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are very good I always pick up the 12 ...not badly priced in Aus $. Picked up the Caribbean cask on the weekend for $114 which is my favourite ...don't see it to often so grabbed a couple.

12 or 15 ...I2

• Like 1

I thought the 15 yo bourbon barrel was better than the 12 yo Bourbon. I think they discontinued the 15 though. Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

I'm not sure the sherry cask is worth the extra 30-40 bucks though. Both are very good though.

• Like 1

I thought the 15 yo bourbon barrel was better than the 12 yo Bourbon. I think they discontinued the 15 though. Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

I'm not sure the sherry cask is worth the extra 30-40 bucks though. Both are very good though.

I think you are right, the only 15 I've seen is the sherry.

The single barrel 15 year is definitely not consistent. But that's the rub with single barrels. Some are great, some are just ok. The 12 is a better go to. Don't hold me to this because I haven't had much of it since it became regular production, but the 14 year Caribbean Cask is one of the better low priced scotches IMO.

• Like 1

I like the 15 better. Have a few bottles from different barrels. Pretty consistent to me, some online folks say they are not consistent.

Depends on price for value opinion. Up here its $180cdn. Not worth it imo. Id rather have the Abunadh or Glenfarclas Revival for almost half price if I want a sherry hit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was at a hotel in Boston this week. I ordered a double 15 balvenie sherry last night. Waitress must have been confused. She poured 6 shots in the glass and charged me $14. Was a good night!

• Like 1

I prefer the Doublewood.

Single barrel 12 is nice.

The Caribbean cask is ex Cuban Rum, but they can't say that or they couldn't sell their whisky in the US.

I prefer the Doublewood.

The Caribbean cask is ex Cuban Rum, but they can't say that or they couldn't sell their whisky in the US.

Thats interesting. It is one of my least favorite Balvenies. Where did you hear that about the Cuban rum, and why wouldnt it be allowed?

I prefer the Doublewood.

I don't believe it's Cuban rum casks any longer.