Your favourite dish in Havana?

I got stumped Monday when asked what was my favourite dish in Havana thinking.gif

The ribs at la terraza Prado 309 came to mind.

The squid in ink at Templete I have always enjoyed.

Sushi at Santy is truly memorable.

I will move this to the Travel section when done but to assist other members, can you please list:

Your favourite dishes in Havana and at what restaurant/paladar

I am sure it will help a ton of members as well as putting something new on our list to try next time we are there thumbsup.gif

Anything Octopus and Ceviche will serve me well in Havana ...

Santy's is perfect for that. El Templete is also good but the Ceviche portions are getting smaller by the day and prices larger ...

La Terraza is a must !

I have found a new paladar by chance that came with an old friend and chef .... and I highly recommend it for its seafood and bbq dishes.

7 Dias in Miramar right by the sea and close to Karl Marx cinema :

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/cuba-2016-paladar-7-dias-in-miramar/

Nino

who is looking forward to 4 days in Bay of Pigs pretty soon having some excellent crab, conch, snapper, prawns and the occasional rum & cigar before continuing to HAV and Hector's farm ...innocent.gif

• Like 2

La Guarida, swordfish tacos. I have gone on about these in the past. Mini tacos with tender swordfish with a sliver of hot pepper and a lovely crispness to the taco shell. Fantastic. I’ve had them 4 or 5 times now and great every time. Slightly hotter last February than usual but still great. The best dish I’ve ever had in Cuba and one of the best I’ve had anywhere.

VIPHavana. Great tapas, my favourite dish there is the patatas bravas, just the right amount of heat and spuds perfectly cooked. Simple and lovely. Great selection of tapas there but make sure you get the patatas bravas.

Chef Ivan Justo. Shredded lamb on a bed of mashed Malanga. The lamb can be slightly dry but a nice crispy skin. Goes great with the Malanga.

La Terraza, I know I’m going against the general opinion but I haven’t liked the leg of lamb at La Terraza. I tried it a second time as I had heard so much about it and I like lamb. Maybe I was unlucky both times but to me it was tough, stringy and tasteless. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see a three-legged dog on the Prado after I left. As I said, maybe I was unlucky.

The place has a lovely view but it tries to squeeze too many punters in with chairs and tables too close together. Plus I don’t know about anyone else but that fan they use as an exhaust at the barbeque, the sound from it makes me nauseous.

I have to give a mention to Otramanera. Nowhere else in Havana have I eaten where every dish is so consistent. La Guarida can be great but some of the dishes I’ve had there I’d never order again or were let down on the night.

Everything in Otramanera, both times I’ve been there, pork, chicken and 6 or 7 styles of fish, has been very, very good.

• Like 2

It might sound pedestrian....but I am a fan of simple foods done well....and as such really enjoyed the chicken, rice and beans at El Ajibe

Chef Ivan Justo. Shredded lamb on a bed of mashed Malanga. The lamb can be slightly dry but a nice crispy skin. Goes great with the Malanga.

La Terraza, I know I’m going against the general opinion but I haven’t liked the leg of lamb at La Terraza. .

The place has a lovely view but it tries to squeeze too many punters in with chairs and tables too close together. Plus I don’t know about anyone else but that fan they use as an exhaust at the barbeque, the sound from it makes me nauseous.

I have to give a mention to Otramanera. Nowhere else in Havana have I eaten where every dish is so consistent. La Guarida can be great but some I’ve the dishes I’ve had there I’d never order again or were let down on the night.

Everything in Otramanera, both times I’ve been there, pork, chicken and 6 or 7 styles of fish, has been very, very good.

Andy :

Agreed on La Terraza too tight and that noise ...

Ivan Justo : Forgot to mention the best dessert for me in Cuba : Their Tres Leches !

Fully in agreement as to Otramanera, only drawback there is that they only have 2 smoking tables .. but best paladar by far in HAV.

• Like 1

Lots of good options were mentioned but here are mine

La Terazza - Grilled Langosta

Santy's - anything

7 dias - also suprised me with the best stuffed pepper

La Guarida - eggplant tartare

Dr Cafe - Malanga Puree

Habanera - Coco and curry shrimp rice

Ivan Justo - that damn tres leches....