Storing full boxes

• 4 weeks later...

So I got my coolidor all setup.  I have the Coleman Extreme 150 quart cooler and 62 RH Boveda packs :

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtreme-150-qt-Cooler-Green/21947771

I currently have 5 full 25 count boxes of my favorite habanos marcas in the cooler, with 4 of the 62 RH Boveda packs.  I plan on increasing this to 6 Boveda packs as I fill up the cooler.  It has been 3-4 days since I set this up, but am concerned about the RH.  My hygrometer is definitely calibrated.  I am showing a steady temperature of 71 F / 22 C , but the RH shows a low 52 RH.  Do I just need to wait this out or should I be concerned about this low RH?  What can I do?

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:59 AM, dangolf18 said:

Got my first vacuum sealer. Hopefully I did this right. Do y'all leave any air or let it vacuum seal shut completely? ae91b089fb4bc6a84dd86e63d8b38977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size bags are you using?

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I would use smaller coolidor if you only store 5 boxes. Its  easier to get the humidity correct since you dont have so much free space.   

Yes but I wanted "One Cooler To Rule Them All"!  I am consistently adding boxes so I will probably have 15 or so boxes over the next few months.  I can always add more Boveda packs correct, if the RH doesn't stabilize & if I still have plenty of room left in the 150 quart coolidor?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ElReyDel757 said:

Yes but I wanted "One Cooler To Rule Them All"!  I am consistently adding boxes so I will probably have 15 or so boxes over the next few months.  I can always add more Boveda packs correct, if the RH doesn't stabilize & if I still have plenty of room left in the 150 quart coolidor?

If you add a few more Bovedas it should stabilize faster....and they should last longer.

Interesting...

For me, I use x3 zip lock bags (just your regular ones) with boveda packs (65%) to store all my overflow boxes. place them in a temperature controlled bar fridge at around 18'C. Humidity fluxuations are very low with the 3 zip lock bags..(which is nice).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have read opinions on storing cigars in their Tubos, removing Tubo cap, loosening Tubo cap, etc.  For a 15 pack of Cohiba Robusto Tubos, should I just place the full cardboard box of Tubos in my coolerdor, or remove the Tubos and not put the cardboard packs in there?

On 5/21/2016 at 2:59 PM, dangolf18 said:

Got my first vacuum sealer. Hopefully I did this right. Do y'all leave any air or let it vacuum seal shut completely?

The lid is a little bowed in.  You let it run too long.  You'll have to hit the seal button earlier and don't let the machine go all the way to the automatic sealing time.  When you open this one, you'll notice the cigars got a little pressed.  Probably aren't irreparably damaged, but I prefer to not have an extreme "box press" on my cigars after long term aging.  It can often affect the draw.

A little air is totally fine.  Your benefit with vacuum sealing is in the sealing, not the vacuum.

OK forgive me up front.. I haven't read the whole thread but must say, +1 for Coolerdor and Heartfelt beads! Easiest cigar storage I've ever had and trust me, I've tried it all.. The Forum turns the photo sideways for some reason but the cooler sits on end and you can see my 65% Bead Bag hanging. I only have to add water around monthly. I've rearranged the Coolerdor since I took this pic. Years ago Renuzit (home scent company) sold a little fan that accepted a scent pouch and a D Cell battery (not pictured). The fan kicks on every 15 minutes and runs for 5 minutes. This was perfect for circulating air in the Coolerdoor. I set it on the bottom and let it turn the heavy humid air that settles there. Works perfect.  Toward the bottom right of the photo you can see a little bone colored plastic thing behind the Por Larranaga box. Thats a wireless humidity sensor. I keep the main display on my nightstand where I see it daily. It'd be hard to change from this very simple setup. *scratches head* ..looks like I have some extra room in there.. Hmmmm :-)

IMG_2451.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaxG said:

couple How do you moisten the bags?  I bought beads for my wineador  and bags and the water just rolled off. Ended up just putting the beads in a tray. 

I will hold the bag in my hand and pour water from a measuring cup right in. Yeah some rolls off but most goes in. Doesn't take much. Alternately, with the fan in the coolerdor (described above), if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just put a little water in a small tulip Four Roses Bourbon glass, close it up inside and let the fan circulate it into the beads for a few days till the water is gone.

1. Get a bigger cooler than you currently need.

2. Wipe it out.

3. Get more beads then you currently need & spray them with distilled water.

4. Put your boxes in

5. Put it in a cool place like a corner in the basement.

6. Get an electronic hygrometer sensor & remote readout if you are a worrier.

7. Enjoy your cigars

You can make it more complicated  than that like I have but really that is all you need.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I guess this would be the right place to ask this question.  I have just ordered my first box from this last weekends 24:72, and only have a desktop humidor as of right now.  It holds around a hundred cigars.  My only option is to remove the cigars from the box and put them in the humidor, right?  Also, when would be the right time to decide to move to a cooler or tupperdor? 

16 minutes ago, achiappetti said:

I guess this would be the right place to ask this question.  I have just ordered my first box from this last weekends 24:72, and only have a desktop humidor as of right now.  It holds around a hundred cigars.  My only option is to remove the cigars from the box and put them in the humidor, right?  Also, when would be the right time to decide to move to a cooler or tupperdor? 

Buy a cooler and chuck the desktop in there until you start filling the cooler with boxes. No need to wait until later. If you ever decide that this is not the hobby for you, you still have a perfectly good cooler in the end.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Buy a cooler and chuck the desktop in there until you start filling the cooler with boxes. No need to wait until later. If you ever decide that this is not the hobby for you, you still have a perfectly good cooler in the end.

Thank you.  I take it you mean to have desktop in cooler and the box in there as well? This way, when (and I say this as a certain, "when,") I get more boxes there is no need to have to figure out where I will have room.  Sounds good.  I believe this is the hobby for me.  It has brought so much joy to my life and my interest continues to grow.  Thank you for the advice!

On June 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM, ElReyDel757 said:

So I got my coolidor all setup.  I have the Coleman Extreme 150 quart cooler and 62 RH Boveda packs :

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtreme-150-qt-Cooler-Green/21947771

I currently have 5 full 25 count boxes of my favorite habanos marcas in the cooler, with 4 of the 62 RH Boveda packs.  I plan on increasing this to 6 Boveda packs as I fill up the cooler.  It has been 3-4 days since I set this up, but am concerned about the RH.  My hygrometer is definitely calibrated.  I am showing a steady temperature of 71 F / 22 C , but the RH shows a low 52 RH.  Do I just need to wait this out or should I be concerned about this low RH?  What can I do?

I would suggest filling the cooler completely, even if it's just with empty boxes.  That way there won't be as much air entering and exiting the cooler when you open it, and it should be easier to maintain the humidity once you establish it. 

• Thanks 1