The Beer Wishlist thread

SofaKing

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

okay, being a "young person", you can presumably do polls on this thing. may i request you put up a new thread with a poll. you may wish to amend the wording a smidge. basically, do you prefer to

Based on the amount of posts, rarities, and ooos and ahhs I see in The FOH beer thread I thought a wishlist thread might be of interest. We are spread all over the USA with access that others may ne

I'm a sucker for the HTF/ impossible to get stuff. Hell, about a month ago I made it my mission to find Pliny the Elder. After about the tenth liquor store I went into that didn't have it in the coole

we are in complete agreement in keeping beer (and wine/fizz etc etc) out of the light. no question.

so put the bottles in the dark.

tins give off a horrible metal tinny taste. seriously, you don't get that? i've drunk thousands of beers - bottles/cans/darwin stubbies/kegs - you name it. every single beer from a can has that telltale foul tinny note.

Do you avoid draught beer, then?

• Like 1

Another Kiwi beer label that I'm enjoying at the moment is Panhead. I love their Hardtail Henry Stout and their Pale Ales. I am also enjoying a local drop from down my way - Mornington Pale Ale.

tins give off a horrible metal tinny taste. seriously, you don't get that? i've drunk thousands of beers - bottles/cans/darwin stubbies/kegs - you name it. every single beer from a can has that telltale foul tinny note.

I agree with ya there Ken, I dislike any beer in a can. Can't remember the last time I drank any in a can, always bottles.

sorry, do not care who or what (and a beer made the lord god bruce himself would fare no better), if it is in a tin, they do not care about their beer. why the hell would you put serious beer in a can?

all you can taste is that awful metal tinny taste no matter what the beer.

Not sure what is packaged in Oz however great strides have been made in aluminium packaging amd is the preferred packaging. No tin taste can be found in the majority of high end producers. As stated previously kegs are no different. I would say its similar to the glass/synthetic vs. Cork argument in the wine world.

• Like 2

I don't drink the mass produced beers out of cans when possible. But I purchase over 50% of my beers in cans and then drink it out of the correct glass for the type of beer. I think the process of actually drinking the beer straight from the can seems to have an effect. I drink a lot of Pale Ales and IPA and stout. Many of the imported US beers seem to come in cans. I haven't noticed any problems with the taste but for many of them I don't have a bottle version to compare with. I also drink Kolch out of a can but found my favourite German wheat beers still come in bottles but are much better again on tap - Hacker Schor, Weihenstephen, Franzikaner and Paulaner.

I do notice a difference though with local mass produced beer like Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught that they seem to taste different out of a can - whether that's because I'm actually drinking it straight out of the can I'm not sure. Could be an interesting experiment in how much environment, smell and visual appeal contribute to our overall perception of taste. I've recently been watching a TV show featuring Heston Blumenthal who took up the challenge to create space food for an astronaut in the International Space Station and similar questions were raised.

Not too long ago I had the chance to try an Auburn Ale House Golddigger IPA. That is now a go to beer, great and very consistent for an IPA.

post-25986-0-00195200-1463267203_thumb.j

Do you avoid draught beer, then?

I do.

I avoid green and clear glass.

And threaded brown bottles, too.

Ever had any? I visited the brewery last summer, was a glorious experience. I think over a 2 day visit my buddy and I drank through something like 22 bottles. It was heavenly! Jean Van Roy is a deal of a nice guy as well.

Nope. Just got into beer. I've never seen a bottle before.

Mike, this thread is a great idea. Good thing I have your address. party.gif

Pipeworks - Ninja Vs Unicorn

Surly - Abrasive

SOS

TH - Any IPA from them really.

KneeDeep - Breaking Bud

3 Floyds - Zombie Dust or Alpha King

Man, I could go on and on...but I'll stop.

Now I'm thirsty!

• Like 2

Focal banger. One of the few I haven't been able to get my hands on.... Yet.

Should be a little easier to get once the new brewery opens up in July. I believe they are going to focus on more FB production there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2016 at 10:39 PM, TypicalSituation said:

Cantillon makes an excellent lambic and gueuze, but there are plenty of others that are right up there... Tilquin, boon, 3F name a few. For American wild ales, crooked Stave, Russian River, allagash, jester king, almanac, and Upland all make excellent wild ales as well

Cantillion and 3F are definitely a notch above Tilquin and Boon. All are great but I drink Tilquins and Boon as everyday guezes and Cantillion and 3F when I want to get fancy.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, HH123 said:

Focal banger. One of the few I haven't been able to get my hands on.... Yet.

Just had it for the first time Tuesday night.  Was good.  Had it along with Heady Topper.   Was  glorious IPA night.

Ninja V Uni is all over the place here in Central IL.  It's good stuff.    I have a couple bottles of ZD that a Chicago buddy sent me.  Went to Dark Lord Day at 3F this past year.... was a good time even though it was 40 and raining the whole time.   Alpha is good stuff too.  Their Alpha Klaus Porter is great in the winter.    If you ever get the chance def hit up 3F brewpub.... food is damn good and beer is all over the place... plus their distillery should be opening.  

Nothing to special...

ISO your in state only distro beer (IPA, IIPA, Stout, Belgians & Wilds/Sours... Anything really)

FT Michigan distro (MI Only, wide distro or HTF MI depending on what you got)