What is your average ageing time for cigars since 2012?

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would have this question asked of me almost daily and it is a tough one to answer. Mostly it is asked by those new to Cuban cigars who are seeking a "rule of thumb" to go by.

My general response is 1-3 years (box age) but the exceptions to the rule are many and detailed.

So in order to cut through the detail, just a simple question in the poll in order that new members can get a "feel" for how long they should put down their cigars to achieve a very good result.

I put "2012 onwards" as a critieria simply because I feel that 2012/13 was turning point for many cigars (production). As important as 2005/6 to my mind.

Thanks for your help!

I voted 1-3 years. Since joining this site I have spent a small fortune buying many boxes with the hopes of stashing them away for at least 2 years. While I may break into a box a few times a month, I'm going to try my best to realize my goal, however unrealistic it may seem.

• Like 1

Cohibas always were starting to come around at 5 years.That is still my goal for them.

Por Larranaga want 4 years minimum.

Other marcas seem to get good at 2 plus years.

Big ring Partagas and R.Allones need 3 plus years. My 12s are still a bit raw.

ask me again in two years.........

• Like 1

I voted 1-3 years. Since joining this site I have spent a small fortune buying many boxes with the hopes of stashing them away for at least 2 years. While I may break into a box a few times a month, I'm going to try my best to realize my goal, however unrealistic it may seem.

What he said.

1) flavours

2) mechanics

Aging a cigar changes its flavour ... If these changes are what you are looking for then by all means age your cigars ... If you don't like what they change to then smoke them fresh .

Mechanics ... Draw burn etc ... Should all be in place by three years .

Derrek

• Like 2

Depends on the marca, but 3-5 years for most.

^^^ this is a general rule of thumb for me.

My answer is 1-3 years only because I began buying CC's in late 2012. I plan on aging most of my stock 3-5 years, minimum, as time goes by, God willing and the creek don't rise.

18+ months seems to be the point where no youthful character remains for me. Earlier this year I had all the 2014 boxes (well, at the time) froim the OHS shipped out to me. will likely do the same next year for the 2015 code boxes.

• Like 1

Initially I thought as a newbie to the CC world that this question would apply to me especially since 95% of my stock is from 2012 onward. However knowing the effects of aging on cigars would certainly help answer this because you could project how things will improve with some extra time. However the majority of my stock has been approachable after a short acclimatization period. There are some exceptions and I certainly enjoy an aged stick.

However given my limited experience 1-3 years makes sense to me based on 9 out of 10 boxes (at least) are enjoyable now.

I don't really age on purpose - it's a side effect of buying way more than I smoke. Still working through my 2009/10 acquisitions at this time.

Same here. I tend to go on buying sprees every few years, so I tend to have "year gaps" between the sprees. Right now I am smoking a lot of '07-'08s. But generally, what I smoke tends to be 4-5 years old.

1 to 3 is a pleasant smoking experience, 3-5 is where things start to get interesting. In an ideal world to my tastes I'd be smoking from 5 onwards.

I use to like Choix w age but 2014 stock was really good fresh so no aging needed for them, 2014 better than 2013/2015 IMHO

BTO coded Cohiba was excellent fresh in 2013, no aging needed and have gotten better since, 2014/2015 Cohiba has been hit and miss fresh but I am in the minority enjoying ARG 2015 Sig 6 fresh

Like Rob, I enjoy Regios fresh rather than w age

PL Pics have definitely benefited from age and are becoming fantastic sticks in the making

2013/14 La Fuerza was great fresh and still continues that trend for a change of pace profile cigar

I still think the PLPC, RASS, Quai need time more than others

I also subscribe to the theory of trying a cigar from your new box to get some idea of how its smoking, you can continue to smoke from that box if you like it or atleast have a reference of how it was when you revisit the box after aging

So to answer the question, I smoke em fresh and I age boxes at the same time, buying multiples of the same box helps in that process

• Like 3

I don't really age on purpose - it's a side effect of buying way more than I smoke. Still working through my 2009/10 acquisitions at this time.

This pretty much explains my accidental process of aging.

I chose 4-5 years.

I said 4-5 years, but I can do that because I have built up a nice stockpile over the past 10 years.

As many have said, it is dependent on the marca. In my experience, smoking Cohibas with less than 5 years of age is wasting them. I like my Hoyos young and fresh. I find Montes and Bolivars to be great with a year or two but I like them even better with more.

• Like 1

I put 1-3 years, but would really like to get that to "5 or more" and so have been going deep when I can to hopefully stretch out that average, but there are so many sticks that are good within the first year that it's tough to do! :cigar:

I do really enjoy those 4-5 year old pacific regionals when they come out, and that combined with some Anejados helps keep my mitts off the new releases. :P