What is your average ageing time for cigars since 2012?

What is your average ageing time for cigars since 2012?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say usually my cigars will sit for 2-4 years but I prefer the method of taste and decide. When I get a box, I like to taste one at 6 months (if they are that young), one more stick (usually) at 1 year. Then depending on the last experience, at two years and so on...

When I feel I found the sweet spot for that box, it becomes part of my current rotation. I have to admit, some cigars from 2014 must be close to their sweet spot already . Anyway, I think tasting the progression of flavors through time is part of the CC life experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't a 30 day rest after airplane ride option? I went 1-3 years only because that's my patience threshold at it's maximum.

Is the reference point the date found on the bottom of the box, or from the time they hit your humidor?

Box date, the man said.

• Like 1

My experience has been as follows.

1) smoke one after they accumulate & gauge youthfulness

2)smoke another in a few months...repeat every couple months with a single

3)make decision to smoke or age at 1 yr mark

4)keep sampling a single periodically and make decision on smoking or laying down for longer periods of time.

5) if the wait is difficult, You can buy aged boxes for ones that need 4-5+ yrs to hit sweet spot. Skip the waiting..$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 to 3 years for most but I will try cigars from my boxes during that time to see their progression. If after 3 years there still have not hit their stride, I will keep them down longer.

Now believe it or not the only cigars I will keep down longer are my Limited Editions.

I try to keep my Cohiibas down for 5 but that is a laugh. My box of 2013 is down to 5 sticks

Even after 45 years of CC smoking the only rule of thum I can think of is don't burn your thum...

With this new Havana light leaf they grow today the "dumb" period has all but disappeared, so there's no waiting on isle 1. I would say don't deny yourself a smoke because you want them to age more. The only reason I have aged cigars is I'm crazy and have more cigars than I can smoke in two lifetimes.

Cigars aren't like wine, they're unpredictable.

We just don't know if the cigar we're smoking today will be better tomorrow....we just hope it will be!

I have found the above to be very true. For whatever reason, it seems the current productions don't need nearly as much down time as they once did, with a few exceptions. I vote 1-3 years as a good general rule

Water in cigars I can quantify. Age in cigars I cannot, not as it relates to taste anyway. I want a cigar to 'cook-off' in my humidor for at least a year but it has nothing to do with the age of tobacco and everything to do with the migration of water.

I smoke what I want, when I want to smoke it but typically I have boxes that are older and already acclimatized so that there is no need to test newer boxes.

-Piggy

• Like 1

I don't really age on purpose - it's a side effect of buying way more than I smoke. Still working through my 2009/10 acquisitions at this time.

By and large I have the same aging plan. I do agree with Garbandz about the Cohibas and PLs, so I make sure to let them stew for at least 5. Everything else is in play after 18 months for me. In my spreadsheet they get highlighted green after 18 months and they are no longer off limits.

Water in cigars I can quantify. Age in cigars I cannot, not as it relates to taste anyway. I want a cigar to 'cook-off' in my humidor for at least a year but it has nothing to do with the age of tobacco and everything to do with the migration of water.

I smoke what I want, when I want to smoke it but typically I have boxes that are older and already acclimatized so that there is no need to test newer boxes.

-Piggy

Good stuff. Moisture content has a huge effect of my cigars. A lot of rough edges go away with proper RH. Any cigar that's too wet will be off no matter how old it is. IMHO. I did once see a list of Marcas and the best RH for each but that seems too anal for me.