Hey fellas,

I figured a good number of us must be golfers on here. I thought to start a thread where we can talk all things golf...Latest rounds played, reviews on different courses, a WITB, new clubs in the bag, PGA tourneys and all things golf...and cigars as well.

So this is my second summer where i'm talking golf seriously. Last summer I changed my irons for some TaylorMade Rocked Bladez (stupid name btw...) and I bought a new TaylorMade ghost putter as well. I still have my Ben Hogan Driver. Next purchase will be lob wedges, 56 and 60 degrees. i'll try to get a pic up later on.

Plan for this summer is to take lessons, try to get in 3-4 rounds a month on a local par 3 course close to my place to practice my short game, and 1 round a month on a regular course. I hit the range at least once a week as well.

Howbout you guys?

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My entire backyard was converted into a chipping, putting abs driving area. Wife thinks mez crazy... What would she know. Ignore my little munchkin in the background lol

Been golfing since I was 5. Just don't get too play as much these days. I am rocking Nike vaper pro combo irons 4-pw, victory red wedges (46, 50, 54, 58 degrees), vapor pro driver, vrs covert 3 wood

Riaz...enjoy your new found passion When I was a banker I played 2-3 times a week with clients. It was the late 80's early 90's and the thing to do (that...and long lunches). I played off 12 and hat

I used to play quite a bit of golf and would routinely shoot in the 70's. Then I had kids. I think I played one round last year.

Fast forward to this year. I bought my oldest son (now 6) his first set of clubs (5 piece starter set) and took him to the driving range for the first time on the weekend. He did quite well. So I'm hoping to get him out for a few rounds this year and a few more on my own.

To top that off I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up a Taylor Made R15 driver. I was absolutely smoking it in the golf sim at the store. I think someone ought to investigatge them becuase they probably tune those things up about 25% so you think you are hitting it farther than you really will. It worked on me!

Happy hacking!

• Like 1

Been golfing since I was 5. Just don't get too play as much these days.

I am rocking Nike vaper pro combo irons 4-pw, victory red wedges (46, 50, 54, 58 degrees), vapor pro driver, vrs covert 3 wood, covert 2.0 hybrid and a Scotty Cameron long putter.

Handicap seems stuck in the 4.8-5.4 range.

• Like 3

I'm a keen golfer although I don't get enough time since I had my first child 15 months ago (not complaining at all though!)

I play off 6 but always dream of scratch!

I've always fancied doing a Jimenez (rocking a rather sizeable Cuban all the way round) but I actually find it a little distracting for my game!

Anyone else use the course as an opportunity for a smoke?

I'm a keen golfer although I don't get enough time since I had my first child 15 months ago (not complaining at all though!)

I've always fancied doing a Jimenez (rocking a rather sizeable Cuban all the way round) but I actually find it a little distracting for my game!

Yes. I have a cigar clip that I attach to my push cart and I light up at least one cigar during my round. I play horribly lol so it distracts me from all my bad shots! but even as I get better I will keep smoking a cigar on the course until the day the cigar nazi's ban that pleasure for us as well

I'm in same boat as a lot of other people, used to be a better than most golfer (consistent mid 70s, occasionally 60s), but now it's only a few times a year. Love my old Bridgestone J33 Irons, but my Brother in Law now has them. Issue of great contention here! Last round I played was with the old old Ping Eye 2 Irons and man they felt awesome. Short game was way out of whack so I played kind of bad, but I had fun.

I enjoy getting out and playing but don't get around to it much with a toddler. I miss the pirate ship and the alligator :) The windmill was always a pisser too!

...seriously now, I live on a course but only get out to play it about once or twice a year. I live vicariously through all those folks who cart past me while I am in the yard. Good thing is the beer cart will stop by the fence if I am in need of a cold one.

• Like 2

Riaz,

I wish you all the best in your venture as golf can be so much fun, yet so frustrating, and often within the same round or even hole!

I really got into the game in my teens, but I don't play much now that I'm in my forties. So much has changed...when I was working hard on my game, metalwoods were new technology, everyone wanted Ping putters and Ping irons (you know, the square-grooved ones that were banned because of the excessive backspin they imparted?) and players like Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman made the 1-iron and 2-iron an essential part of your golf bag. These are now no longer around, replaced by other clubs.

I do know that you are wise to work on your short game (as a par 72 requires 36 putts, the short game is so important in golf). The other thing, which I could never master, is having a reliable and consistent swing. I wish you all the best this summer.

A friend of mine told me that Seve Ballesteros got very good from developing a consistent swing with a mid-iron (a 5, 6 or 7-iron)...if I get back into the game I would focus on this first for myself and go from there.

Riaz...enjoy your new found passion spotlight.gif

When I was a banker I played 2-3 times a week with clients. It was the late 80's early 90's and the thing to do (that...and long lunches). I played off 12 and hated every minute of it.

I eventually replaced it post bank with Fly Fishing. Same cerebral challenge but didn't have to put up with cheating clients who loved to play for money rolleyes.gif

Few things gauge the quality of a man than a round of golf with him. If he is going to screw you over a shot here or a shot there....he is going to screw you in business ....eventually biggrin.png

• Like 3

So this is my second summer where i'm talking golf seriously. Last summer I changed my irons for some TaylorMade Rocked Bladez (stupid name btw...) and I bought a new TaylorMade ghost putter as well. I still have my Ben Hogan Driver. Next purchase will be lob wedges, 56 and 60 degrees. i'll try to get a pic up later on.

I've still got my Ben Hogan CS3 driver. A couple of years ago, I picked up the TaylorMade RBZ driver (agree that TM really came up with a stupid name with RocketBallZ), but I can't use it for the life of me. Was thinking of picking up a TaylorMade SLDR, as I seem to hit that pretty well when I tried it at the range.

I love the game of golf and it has been a passion of mine since I first played the game 25 years ago. I stopped playing for 8 years when my son turned 7 years old in order to spend my free time with him, coaching sports etc. I got back into it 5 years ago and, for many reasons, enjoy it more than ever. I turn 50 this year and my game is better than ever. I play at least 2 times/week and my son caddies for me during the summer in my regular groups on weekends and in state/regional tourneys during the week.

It truly is a great game and an awesome way to get to know people. Best of luck in your new endeavor!

I am an avid golfer. The big thing im learning from this thread is if i want to continue this passion, I better not have kids!!

You're not wrong. Or...just wait for them to grow up a little and get some of your weekends back!

This is pretty much me as well. Think I've played 5 18 hole rounds in two years. I used to play 100 in high school.... Haha.
  • Like 1

I love to golf as well. Basically hacked around during my university years and always thought a round was good excuse for a walk! Started getting properly interested about 6 years ago, playing a regular social round of nine holes.

From there it was an easy jump to become a member and play in the weekly competition. I love the challenge and play with a regular group, so it's a good crack.

Generally light up a PLPC or similar at the turn after the morning tea ritual!

As my mate (off 36, and never moved) says ' golf is a methaphor for life.... You just gotta swing the club and let it do the talking!'

Great idea riazp!

I can't get enough of the game. I picked up a club 4 seasons ago and haven't looked back. From the moment I struck a solid 3 iron I was hooked. I bought a set of clubs, took a couple lessons and I was off.

Today I am a member of a club in my local area and normally get 2-3 round in a week. I'm in the middle of a swing change so my game isn't quite where I would like it to be. Sticking to what I'm learning instead of reverting back to my old swing is tough at times but I'm trying to stay committed to the change. I bought a set of the new AP2's last week so I'm also trying to get use to those. I play all Titleist except my putter.

I love this game! Looking forward to chatting about it in the thread.

Another golfer here but my days are numbered. Wife has a love muffin in the oven due in October. She's given me the green light to golf once every weekend for the time being... My current set up for the foreseeable future -eternity- Ping i20 irons yellow dot, ping rapture 2 iron, R15 driver (the beast), 913 3w, vokey wedges 52 and 60. I only get to smoke on the course these days or the occasional range time.

My entire backyard was converted into a chipping, putting abs driving area. Wife thinks mez crazy... What would she know.

Ignore my little munchkin in the background lol4df4aec8d49711626aa34a7df6a9e2ce.jpg

She's celebrating you chipping in off the green?

• Like 1

I love the game. Going to the course is my church....my place of worship.

I'm lucky enough to have got my foot in the door back in 2003 to one of the finest courses in the country (Royal Canberra) and have never looked back. The thing that makes my membership even more valuable to me is the list of reciprocal courses I get to play for free around Australia, and the world - the very best in the around! I feel very lucky, and never take it for granted.

Next weekend me and some mates are playing New South Wales Golf Cub and The Australian - both of which are on regular rotation for the The Australian Open tournament.

I play twice a week - Wednesdays and Sundays - in the local members competition, and play off 10, but generally somewhere between 9 and 11.

Play Ping i25 irons, Vokey wedges and Nike Vapor Pro driver. Ping Anser 5 putter.

Fuzz, I'm still waiting for you to be available for a game!

I love the game. Going to the course is my church....my place of worship.

I'm lucky enough to have got my foot in the door back in 2003 to one of the finest courses in the country (Royal Canberra) and have never looked back. The thing that makes my membership even more valuable to me is the list of reciprocal courses I get to play for free around Australia, and the world - the very best in the around! I feel very lucky, and never take it for granted.

Next weekend me and some mates are playing New South Wales Golf Cub and The Australian - both of which are on regular rotation for the The Australian Open tournament.

I play twice a week - Wednesdays and Sundays - in the local members competition, and play off 10, but generally somewhere between 9 and 11.

Play Ping i25 irons, Vokey wedges and Nike Vapor Pro driver. Ping Anser 5 putter.

Fuzz, I'm still waiting for you to be available for a game!

I play off, "Bugger the score, pass a beer and a cigar". jester.gif

• Like 2