insane rock fishing

Ken Gargett

That's pretty nuts. I imagine those guys have lost a fair amount of flesh from their knees from getting bowled over. When I was much younger and fitter my mate and I would make knee pads out of tyre tubes to put over our wetsuits when spearfishing off rocks but I doubt we would of risked some of those places those guys were fishing from.

That's pretty nuts. I imagine those guys have lost a fair amount of flesh from their knees from getting bowled over. When I was much younger and fitter my mate and I would make knee pads out of tyre tubes to put over our wetsuits when spearfishing off rocks but I doubt we would of risked some of those places those guys were fishing from.

i've been knocked over while on the rocks at waddy and other places far too many times but i try and be as careful as i can and usually at least know they are coming. but that is beyond me.

stupidiest thing i have ever done was go under a huge fallen tree in rapids in a river in nz but i had an 8 1/2 pound brown trout on the line and it was either break it off or follow it it under.

in retrospect....

but i caught the thing and it remains probably my most treasured fish (i tell people that i also nailed it first cast). that is sort of true. i nailed first cast that landed in the river. i did have one that missed the river. my guide and i had it all planned. the fish would head up stream and we were good. tire it out and bring it in.

fish had not read the script. took off downstream (never understood why far more of them do not do this - a lot more would escape) and we had to sprint a good 400 metres over gravel and boulders till we hit the rapids. where it got fun.

• Like 2

Yep, fallen trees in rivers aren't good I reckon. I have little to no experience with fresh water. To be honest it scares me after water skiing on the Murray river in Vic and seeing a lot of snags sticking up. Great catch with trout though. Congrats.