Monty 4 vs Monty 5

Similarities? Differences? Which is more consistent? Finally, which has the better and richer flavor profile?

Pretty similar to my taste. Monte 5 is my go-to perla, but between the two I like the #4 and actually really enjoy the #3 and #1 even more. I've actually found the #5 to have the most issues as far as consistency and burn, but recent production (13-15) I'm still quite happy with.

When Monte is on, I just love the flavors that just keep pouring out, and the longer the better. The #5 and often the #4 always leave me wishing they were longer.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with the above. I enjoyed the 5 so much more and had better luck with them. I have a box of 4 and the flavors are muted compared to the box of 5 I have. Out of the 12 Monte 5 I smoked out of a box code AUM/14, only one wasn't impressing. Out of the 8 I smoked from Monte 4 box code RAE/14, none was impressing. Maybe a bad batch? Not sure.

• Like 1

I too think recent production of Montecristo No.5 has been very good. I find the flavours similar...cocoa, nut, leather, coffee, tobacco with the No.5 having a more richer flavour. I guess that may because the minuto cigars tend to be that way, they often pack a punch in the flavour department.

I concur with CigarSeeker, the Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 14 box I'm going through has been spectacular. The Montecristo No.4 MOE Oct 14 has been very, very good too, it's just that those Monte 5's are smoking so well right now!

• Like 1

I enjoy both and find the flavor very similar. I would say that the No. 5 though is far more intense.

As I have been writing this it has got me thinking though. Does the apparent intensity/punch packing of the No. 5 come from it's small size and me expecting less of it? I remember the first one I smoked and it definitely took me by surprise.

Love #4's and #5's ... Over the years I have probably smoked 700 or 800 Monty #4's and perhaps a couple hundred #5's ... Honestly ( for me ) the difference lies in the time it takes to smoke one .

Perhaps the #5's are ready to smoke a year sooner than my #4's .

Derrek

• Like 2

As a caveat to my above post, I do concur with the above comments and say that Monte 5 has been smoking very well recently. I have had more Monte 5 than Monte 4 this year, so it's possible Monte 4 has fallen behind a bit recently. But when both cigars are smoking well, I see little difference between them, and prefer the larger formats when time permits.

• Like 1

I enjoy all of the 42 Gauge Montes, but the the 4s and especially the 5s always leave me wanting for more. (length/time wise) I do not currently have any 5s in stock, but plenty of 4s, as well as 3s and 1s. I also have a couple boxes of 2s, I find their profile a bit different then the thinner parejos, but I am a fan of pretty much anything Monte.

To finally answer your question: Buy the right boxes of either. I have not noticed any marked difference in quality/profile between the two sizes. My RAE SEP 14 4s are smoking very well and consistent to profile right now, but as many have stated above recent batches of 5s are very good.

• Like 2