Is your decision to purchase blind a  premium box of skinnies (aged or current), influenced by construction concerns?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A watched a mate of mine last night try to get a decent draw out of a discontinued skinny (Partagas Connie 2 from the look albeit I didn't ask). 

The cigar had a knot dead set in the middle between the band and the foot. The worst place for a knot as you are unable to trim away the offending section.  The look of frustration was palpable but he was gracious as it was a gift from the mate sitting next to him.  He was given another....and albeit he struggled through it, the draw was a fight to the end. 

How many tens of thousands of Cuban cigar lovers have walked away from Skinnies over the last two decades becasue of poor construction issues? 

It is human nature not to be taken as a fool constantly. If you drop serious coin on a quality product, you are entitled for a level of satisfaction from that product. Yes, cigars are hand made and we can expect a certain amount of variation. However when it comes to skinnies from that late 90's to mid 2000's, far too many have been found wanting in terms of acceptable construction. Some will argue otherwise, I have seen enough boxes to roll my eyes and shake my head in frustration. 

Habanos has all but given up on the skinnies as a sales leader. They cite trends in the market. 

To me they have the argument wrong. They killed skinnes through shoddy construction and poor quality control. They lost a market. 

So for a little poll. 

Is your decision to purchase blind a  premium box of skinnies (aged or current), influenced by construction concerns?

No, because I love the little devils and I've never had a plugged one.  Note:  I've only been smoking them since 2012, so my sample size is pretty small.

I said yes I had actually asked for your advice on a box of monte4 from 99 not skinnies per say but I took your advice and sampled a couple then bought the rest as the sample size was excellent and all worked out but buying blind from that time frame is a risk I had not known that until finding this forum and various others but now I'm way more weary about those years no matter the size... as for them killing the skinnies because of poor quality I agree 100% easier to mass produce a straight forward fat shorty then Lonsdale lancero and others

One of my first CC purchases was a box of Cohiba Lanceros (on a different site).  80% of them were absolutely plugged and unsmokeable.  Disaster.

So yes.  I love skinnies, but I'm not buying them blind, and plug risk is something I always keep in mind.

Can someone remind me again where the skinnies end and the jawbreakers begin?

thanks. 

Im really only exposed to the lanceros and similar sizes. And my go to size is the lgc mdor 2 which is a lovely lonsdale. 

Are both of these still considered skinny?

I dont currently have any Skinnies older than 2010. But I have more draw issues with thin gauge smokes than the bigger ones. I have a box of PLMC thats like a mine fied. Sometimes you can feel it before, sometimes you cant. Sometimes you can salvage the stick, sometimes you cant. I refer a light easy draw, so when a stick is really plugged it bugs me extra. 

No. The reward is (was) well worth the risk... although it's always preferable to inspect boxes before buying (that's why I like buying from our host). But I can understand those who would not buy smaller rg cigars blind.

• Like 1

I voted "no", with the thought in mind that a "skinny" is a sub 40 ring gauge cigar. For me the decision to not buy blind is mainly a personal preference. While I don't like much over 50 I also don't like much under 44. I'm willing to make exceptions in some cases (Behike 52, etc), but as a general rule I prefer the corona, corona gorda, robusto range. 

I voted yes but that's only based on my experience with older stock. Newer boxes I haven't had an issue with.

I voted "No" because all the skinnies I have bought have been from our host.  Member since 2012. I think I started

smoking in 2009 0r 2010.  Went to Carib. with girl friend and bought some Cuban smokes there and wala hooked.

Beleive it but never had a plugged skinny from Rob.  A few tight draws but no fault of our host most likely

it was the way I stored them in my humi.  When / if Rob ever puts more skinnies up (other than LGC #4) which

I have quite a few of I'll jump on them like "white on rice".  Love to see some Cohiba Esp. or more Monty. Esp.'s

even Porr. Lar. skinnies.  In the mean time love the Punch / punch size same  Upmann 46, so on and so

on........

Definite yes for me.  I haven't had too many issues with recent production, but pre 2010 or so I view as a definite risk without a vendor OK on construction.  The Cervantes vitola in particular for me has been bad enough to the point that I generally shy away from them.  

I've actually had very few problems with the sub-40 gauge panetelas.  Most of the tent pegs I've come across have all been 42 or 43 gauge.

I said yes. I try to do my best to not be disappointed. That's why I buy from our host. As unblind as I can get. And haven't been disappointed yet.

1 hour ago, stogieluver said:

No, because I love the little devils and I've never had a plugged one.  Note:  I've only been smoking them since 2012, so my sample size is pretty small.

You're doomed now, cursed yourself for a box of plugged ones ;)

Not overly concerned. My source, though a generally shady nordic buccaneer, always keeps it 100 with the cuban leaf :2thumbs:

• Like 2

Love the skinnies, always have. 

I'm not sure I could really venture a guess as to why HSA has generally moved away from them other than popularity. Sure, there were definitely construction issues in the late 90s/early 2000s, but I have a hard time ascribing the decline in their popularity solely to a few bad years. The trend toward larger cigars has been ongoing for 30 years, and I think the increasing demand in North America during that time has simply resulted in a focus toward larger RG and cutting of skinnies in a (probably misguided) attempt to streamline the marcas. 

I am a firm believer, however, that every single model within a marca is someone's favorite. There is so little additional cost to produce different vitolas within a marca I just feel that "streamlining" the marcas is just plain unnecessary and flat-out dumb. In the case of many of the recently discontinued skinnies, many of them were regular smokes for many people. I know this because I used to see Party SdC, Party Charlottes, ErDM Grandes De Espana, LGC MdO #4, Punch Ninfas on the shelf at LCDHs. And I would see them move, albeit slowly. Now--no way, Jose. The only thing you'll find under 38RG now is Boli Tubos #3, Upmann tubes, Cohiba Panetelas/Exquisitos and an ERDM Demi Tasse--if you're lucky.

I have no idea why HSA feels the need to discontinue much of anything. Outside of eliminating redundancies (which they haven't even done--see Party Aristocrats, Super Partagas, Mille Fleurs, PCE & the 5 RyJ marevas!) And if they can produce 15 different REs every damn year they can certainly darn well produce Party SdC in limited quantities. They sell slow enough to be able to easily coordinate production to sales and insure quality.

I always think back to the pre-embargo days when there were dozens of vitolas of all sorts for each marca, not to mention the hundreds of different marcas. Obviously, the Cuban cigar industry was doing just fine before this 21st century "streamlining" attitude.

• Like 4

I voted yes, I still remember watching my dad struggle through a box of 2000 cohiba lanceros. I honestly swore off the smaller stuff early on in my smoking experience. That was driven by 2 main reasons: 1) I thought I got more "bang for my buck" with the bigger vitolas (obviously have changed my tune) and 2)the construction problems I've come across in skinnies, both NC and CC alike. 

Now, I actually prefer skinnies but absolutely agree with others that buying blind is a major risk and prefer either from our host or trustworthy friends who can inspect the box prior to purchasing. 

I voted no, only have tried the pl montecarlos, slightly tighter draw for the few I've smoked but I would say as expected, and enjoyable in their own way.

The missus smoked one as well and quite enjoyed it..

Skinnies are the key for getting the ladies to try our hobby imo.

• Like 1

I voted no because I feel that, currently, that isn't too much of an issue. Have had a few skinnies with a half decent draw, but then again I've also had the same happen with larger ring gauge cigars.

No. It's really not an issue anymore, since there's nothing in the lineup that I really need in a sub-42 RG. Cohiba Lanceros are too expensive for a moderate income with family obligations. Monte Esp and Monte Esp #2 are the only other options. The LGC #4 is no longer the sweet/floral cigar that lured me in years ago. Since I really hate underfilled cigars (especially with the thicker wrappers these days), I've sworn off robustos. I won't go larger than a 46 RG. I box of cigars can look flawless and smell great, but everyone can still be underfilled. My occasional purchases these days are mostly limited to PCs and TPCs (excluding bargain blends and Monte's).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kuma said:

I voted "No" because all the skinnies I have bought have been from our host.  Member since 2012. I think I started

smoking in 2009 0r 2010.  Went to Carib. with girl friend and bought some Cuban smokes there and wala hooked.

Beleive it but never had a plugged skinny from Rob.  A few tight draws but no fault of our host most likely

it was the way I stored them in my humi.  When / if Rob ever puts more skinnies up (other than LGC #4) which

I have quite a few of I'll jump on them like "white on rice".  Love to see some Cohiba Esp. or more Monty. Esp.'s

even Porr. Lar. skinnies.  In the mean time love the Punch / punch size same  Upmann 46, so on and so

on........

Totally agree.   Faith in the Prez eliminates most of my concern.  Now, getting them someplace else would make me change my vote.  That's why I wouldn't go elsewere.  ;)

I voted No for the simple reason that I have not had a bad skinny yet. My first skinny was a Cohiba Siglo V Tubo  2009. It got me hooked on skinnies. One of the best cigars i have ever had. I wish I had more but Cohiba's have all but disappeared at the moment.