latest catch

SlimOne

Hey I just wanted to share my latest catch with all of you.

I went pickerel fishing last weekend up by North Bay. The pickerel weren't the only thing biting unfortunately.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Black flies. The worst of the bites were where you normally wouldn't oust bug spray.

regarding the other post Pickerel are very good eating. A nice white flacky meat. Also know as walleye.

worth every one of the bug bites.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever eaten pickerel

Pickerel is a great fish for eating. When I was growing up in Manitoba we used to fish for Pickerel and cook it up the same day. Was out that way visiting family a few. Weeks ago and had a great Pickerel dinner at a local restaurant one night.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, pickerel are much closer to the northern pike family, not walleye, which are actually a large perch.  Both are delicious.

I might also add that I actually prefer eating small northerns to walleye.  Not everyone agrees.  Lots of guys just don't want to deal with the "Y" bones while cleaning northerns. Try it sometime.

Mike

pickerel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of a stillwater guy but had some great bass fishing this weekend on Lake Sara IL. Low pressure had the fish hungry. This one was the biggest , guessing 3-4 lbs? 18" net. All on 7" rubber.

20160702_111244.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 4:53 PM, foursite12 said:

Actually, pickerel are much closer to the northern pike family, not walleye, which are actually a large perch.  Both are delicious.

I might also add that I actually prefer eating small northerns to walleye.  Not everyone agrees.  Lots of guys just don't want to deal with the "Y" bones while cleaning northerns. Try it sometime.

Mike

pickerel.jpg

I'm one of those that disagree with Northern. Walleye and Perch oh yes. Good stuff. Northern, pain in the ass. Teeth in their gills, covered in slime, loaded with y bones, pain to clean, mean as hell, hard on tackle and nets. Used to bring them home for the neighbor that would take the ones between 2-4lbs and pickle them. So long as I didn't have to clean those toothy bags of snot I did not mind. 

• Like 1

Grew up a couple of hours northwest of North Bay and miss the lakes and rivers there furiously. Walleye (as a kid we always called them Pickerel) are very fine eating. The local breakfast joint here in BC has one mounted on the wall at about 11 lbs - nice chubby thing, though for the life of me I can't imagine it was caught anywhere near here - will have to ask the proprietor.

Spring caught Northern are not so bad, sure they are a bit of a pain to clean but battered and fried they are good eats. Ate quite a bit of them ( when the Walleye were not biting) while at a geological survey bush camp on the Churchill River in Saskatchewan. Fresh protein was at a premium since our supplies only came by float plain once a week. The trick is to keep only the medium sized ones so there is less fuss with the cleaning.