Review: Romeo y Julieta Reserva Cosecha 2008 (Churchill)

Jun 16 2016

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Cosecha 2008 (Churchill)

P1040318_1.JPG

Vitals:

• Vitola: Churchill
  • Measurements: 7inches * 48RG

A 2012/13 release using tobacco from the 2008 harvest.  So technically a 5 year old cigar.  The major distinction being the leaves used were aged, not the finished cigars themselves.  I can only assume that the filler, binder and wrapper are all from the same year as well.  (2008)

Pre-Light Notes:

Appearance: Milk chocolate wrapper, slight grain on hte wrapper.  Small veins, nice roll

Aroma at cold: Sourdough.  Cocoa and the foot.  Roasted nuts on the wrapper

Draw seems firm.  Paired with Cava

Start time 3:22PM EST

Reviewers notes

My style of cigar reviewing is “open”.  I try to jot down what I’m experiencing with every draw.  When you see a “//” consider that a break in between puffs.  What I leave out in fancy prose is made up with observation.  Consider each segment a play by play.  This style works for me. I hope you enjoy it.

Cava= I took a sip of Corodniu Imperial Brut Cava

First Third.

I toast the foot carefully, it lights easily.

First puffs have a tanniny feel with a slight cocoa finish //  perfect draw // hints of fruit // bready/biscuit notes // woodiness, not cedar though // woody, some mineral hints // good burn, nice smoke production // tanniny mouthfeel, like a dry Italian red wine // cocoa // bitter fruit hit (unripened plum) // a bit more of that bitter fruit // I’m hoping for RyJ Cherry trademark flavours, not present yet I am sad to report // nutmeg & fruit // some cedar notes on the finish // a bit of Cava to cleanse the palate

P1040326_1.JPG

// sourdough with a hint of sweetness // faint sourdough on the next 2 draws // nice cedar notes, very crisp // some cocoa on the finish is nice // ash is salt and pepper, good burn line // very fruity hit!  Not bitter at all, almost floral // Cava // woodiness and cocoa // cedar again, almost cherry..almost…  // ash is leaning..with my luck i’ll be wearing it // cocao again // more cocao!  // still too early in the cigar but this first third isn’t showing me too much, it is a smooth cigar though // fruit again  // mmm nice draw, hint of anise and some fruit, almost has an effervescence to it.  Though I’d venture that’s a mineral note on the finish giving me that impression.  I taste something similar in the RA 2015 EL (Club Allones) // almost finished this third, contemplating ashing out… we’ll see // my next two puffs are the same fruity/mineraly notes, not bad // good floral hit now, time for some Cava

P1040336_1.JPG

// stronger cocoa flavour, very nice // ash still holding on...going to go for it.  // very mild nutmeg flavour // somewhat chalky / mineraly flavour now // thus far, the blend seems very accessible in that it wouldn’t turn off the average smoker // cocoa // experienced RyJ Churchill smokers may not recognize this cigar // two draws, exactly the same: cocoa // wow..that mineral fruit combo again // fruit again, reminds me of some Juan Lopez’s I’ve smoked // last draw before i tap the ash is fruity again, not that RyJ cherry I’ve come to expect, but pleasant nonetheless // bye bye ash //

Time: 3:58PM EST

Second Third

First draw is...nutmeg!  // Cava // dry cocoa notes // nutmeg again // more nutmeg but with a cedary finish, burn is going askew.  A bit windy now, maybe that’s at play?  Might touch it up..we’ll see // some bready notes // i must say this cigar is somewhat on the mild side, I’m enjoying it but it’s not what I’m used to in an RyJ Churchill, fresh or aged  // a double puff yields more cocoa

P1040344_1.JPG

// slight burn correction with my lighter, palate correction with a swig of Cava // more cocoa // cocoa again after a more aggressive burn correction // mineraly taste returns with fruit on the finish // baking spice // back to woody flavour // bread and fruit, very chalky mouth feel // a little cedar makes an appearance //  cocoa again // burn correction needed // sharp cedar note, still no “cherry” // sourdough // mild cocoa // overall a mild cigar up to this point.  Easy for someone not really into cigars to get into, so far, this is not reminding of an RyJ Churchill, no cherry, no cinnamon // a rich tobacco note follows my tirade // Cava // chalky // cocoa again // cedar notes // burn evening out on it’s own now // cocoa again, with a charry note on the finish // more sharp flavours //

Time 4:22PM EST

Final Third

A swig of Cava to start this final third // a bit of fruit again // fruit again // fruit and mineral hit // a more robust tasting draw, very rich tobacco // fruit //

P1040347_1.JPG

// next two draws yield more fruit, very crisp on the finish too // fruit seems to be the overall profile thus far // wow, very rich draw! But still mineraly and fruity, almost like a soda // same as before // rich cedar draw , cigar becoming bolder // Cava

P1040348_1.JPG

// cocoa with dark chocolate on the finish // fruit/mineral combo // same // anise //

Some cocao, mineral finish // burn still solid // cedar // tapped ash // sharp cedar notes // found a void in the cigar (pic below)

P1040350_1.JPG

// very nice fruit hit,very bold, like a Shiraz wine // Cava // cocao returns // big hit of fruit again // correct burn // cedar notes // very sharp cedar now // charry taste // next few hits are a bit on the strong side, nothing too interesting, // back to cedar/woodiness, pleasant // last few puffs are charry// going to stop

P1040352_1.JPG

FIN 4:49PM EST

Conclusions

Where you see me mentioning the taste of “fruit” think of a plum, but not too sweet, on the dry side with some “fizz”.  This cigar was quite enjoyable though not the most dynamic of cigars.  Given the type of release, a Reserva, I expected an elevated RyJ Churchill.  What I smoked was a very good cigar, but it was not indicative of its’ pedigree.  The flavour profile was very good, the body, medium, which makes it accessible to the novice smoker or the one looking to buy a “blingy” box of cigars.    I have to look at this cigar from two angles.

• As a Reserva release of a famous cigar and how it might compare to an aged, standard release of the cigar.
  • On it’s own merits, with no reference to the original.  A stand alone high end Habanos release.

As a Reserva version, IMO this really does not share much with the regular production RyJ Churchill of a similar vintage. I’ve smoked about a half doze 2008/2009 RyJ Churchills.  The Reserva did not remind me of an aged version.  Having smoked the Monte 4 Reserva, I could definitely taste the Monte 4 on steroids. Brilliant cigar.  

So how was it its' own merits?  Very good!  But not box worthy.  At this price point, this needs to really outperform a similarly aged version of the regular production.   What I smoked seemed like a completely different cigar.  I don’t know how that is.  Is the Reserva tobacco the same tobacco for the production version set aside and aged? Or is it really nice tobacco from 2008 that Habanos wanted set aside for the sake of it at the time and with no clear idea of where to use it?  ;)

As I was smoking this I clearly wasn’t tasting the original cigar but it did remind me of a similar smoking experience.  This cigar reminded me of a 1985 Davidoff Dom Perignon that I smoked a few years back.  It had a similar body and tasting notes.  The big difference was the Davidoff was more complex, but the flavours were muted. Where this one was the opposite.  Please don’t go and buy these as a modern day substitute for the Dom P.  Especially on my word!  This is just my observation and partly why I probably won’t slam this cigar as much as  I think I should.

Given the duality of my observations, I’ll go with two scores.

• As an RyJ Churchill.  I give this an 84.  A very good cigar, but nothing like its original.
  • As a “high end” Habanos offering.  An 89.  It has some very enjoyable flavours and could potentially mature into something more grand in another 5+ years.  The price though holds it back from garnering a mid 90’s score.

This is of course, just my opinion.  I’d be interested in hearing what others think.

Thanks for reading.

BW