I caught up with the lads this afternoon on the deck. Laz told me about "Abuelo" rum of which I have never tried. Needless to say I said that while a picture may be a 1000 words, an actual drop of the bloody stuff would be better. He promises to make due upon my return from China. 

There are so many great rums in the world. 

Abuelo...have you tried it?

Your favourite rum right now?

Have a great weekend! :spotlight:

Abuelo.png

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

El Dorado 12 is a nice sipper from Guyana. Pair it with at least a medium strength cigar, otherwise it will overpower the cigar.    

This... Cheers!

Never tried it, but I really like Diplomaticos and ED 15 which is my go to rum in the summer.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I caught up with the lads this afternoon on the deck. Laz told me about "Abuelo" rum of which I have never tried. Needless to say I said that while a picture may be a 1000 words, an actual drop of the bloody stuff would be better. He promises to make due upon my return from China. 

Abuelo.png

great minds.

i have very recently chased just this rum.

told it is not in australia. 

and is this in the right section? shouldn't you know better?

I have tried the Abuelo. Very tasty with a drier profile. My current go to is the Diplomatico Reserva.

• Like 2

Diplomatico is good stuff, for my everyday rum it would be a toss up between Zaya and Ron Miel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, irratebass said:

for my everyday rum it would be a toss up between Zaya and Ron Miel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I, too, am a fan of Zaya.  I like it just a little better than Zacapa and its about half the price of Zacapa at my local liquor stores.

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Abuelo.png

One of the best rums I've ever had, and really this was my first high end rum as well.  My wife is Panamainian so we travel down there about ever two years or so, when we do we bring as many bottles of Abuelo as customers will allow, or slightly more:ph34r:.  We're down to one unopened bottle right now, maybe we're ready for another trip!

4 hours ago, sepp said:

I have tried the Abuelo. Very tasty with a drier profile. My current go to is the Diplomatico Reserva.

3 hours ago, jcorona said:

El Dorado 12 is a nice sipper from Guyana. Pair it with at least a medium strength cigar, otherwise it will overpower the cigar.

ed12.jpg

Yup to both!  These are my two current favs. I find them to be more complex than the Z rums for about the ssme price on both. Plus the El d 12 is one of the only true 12 year rums not a solera. Their 15 is good too but I prefer the 12. 

Ron Zacapa 23 for sipping and Havana Club 7 for mixing are my two "go to" rums.  When in Cuba I like bringing back as many bottles of Ron Santiago de Cuba and Legendario as I can bring back.  I'll pick up a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva and El Derado 15 for sipping just to switch it up every now and then.

First for me is Diplomatico ,Matusalem is next.Zacapa,and Flor de Cano for honorable mention

If I remember,Ron Abuelo is Puerto Rican,and has added flavors........

1 hour ago, garbandz said:

If I remember,Ron Abuelo is Puerto Rican,and has added flavors........

i think you are refering to Ron del Barrilito, which i like by the way but tastes completely different to the Abuelo range.

I prefer the 7yo Abuelo a tad over the 12yo which seems a little bit too dry and woody to me. A bottle of the Centuria is still waiting for a special ocasion, somebody visiting Bavaria the next time ? 001biggrin.gif

Presidentes_small.jpg

wrong focus 001blush.gif

Never tried it, but I really like Diplomaticos and ED 15 which is my go to rum in the summer..ff38e43a9d7ed6b6d0081343a9b4d48e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Never heard of it, and I like dry rums.

Favorite sipper is still Barbancourt 8 Yr.  Bought a bottle of Kirk n Sweeney 12 recently and while good, it's not what I was hoping for.

9 minutes ago, earthson said:

Favorite sipper is still Barbancourt 8 Yr. 

Yeah, I also like Barbancourt, and consider it more cognac-like, if that makes any sense. I find Zacapa and the like much sweeter - good all around drinkers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sepp said:

Diplomatico Reserva or The Reserva Exclusiva?  What' s the difference?

On the Ron Abuelo, if you like very dry rums, it's not bad.  There are others with much more flavor and smoother.

El Dorado 12 is nice and so is Zaya.