Just finished a bottle of RL Seale's.  Neat bottle, but not a fan of the spirit.  Recommended by an employee.  There are much better for the coin.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

El Dorado 12 is a nice sipper from Guyana. Pair it with at least a medium strength cigar, otherwise it will overpower the cigar.    

This... Cheers!

Never tried it, but I really like Diplomaticos and ED 15 which is my go to rum in the summer.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2016 at 5:29 AM, Warren said:

When we were talking about rum on Friday I remembered I had some of this at home. Has anyone ever tried this and what do you think of it.

The name always reminded me of Rob.:P

20160618_192001_resized.jpg

This used to be a great Rum before Patron bought the rights and started mass producing in Guyana instead of where it used to be craft made in Anguilla.

Plantation 5yo from Barbados is my go to day to day rum. Perfect body, heat and sweetness for sipping yet cheap enough not to frown on as a mixer. Took a bottle to a blind rum tasting one time and it beat out pretty much all the other, higher priced offerings. Koloa was another in the tasting and it came out with high marks as well.

Plantation also makes some nicer high end rums like the XO, Grande Reserve and vintage single casks from across the Caribbean.

Zaya, Zacapa and Zafra all have nice expressions with some differing characteristics that I enjoy. Angostura 1824 is pretty tasty.

Used to drink a fair amount of Brugal until it got overpriced and overproduced. Cruzan's Gold is a great mixer for the price range.

Not a big fan of the Agricoles (Clement, Barbancourt, St. James, et al.) ...too dry and hot. 

Spiced rums - rather shoot myself!

El Dorado is nice but a bit peppery to my taste, same with Diplomaticos. I've enjoyed both though don't find myself reaching for them often. Pampero is also a similar style as these.

Flor de Cana has some nice rums though again on the drier side for me. Appleton's never really done it for me either.

RL Seales, Doorly's, Pussers same.

Goslings Black Seal is the go to for a Dark & Stormy.

Deadhead wins the prize for interesting bottle but horrible swill!

Not even going to go in to the Cuban rums.....except to say the current domestic Matusalem is a poor representation of what used to be produced on the island.

To the original post, I've had the Abuelo and didn't think it anything to write home about. I'd probably go for a Bacardi 8 before that.

Yes, I'm a bit of a rummy ;)

• Like 2

Not much on the rum lately. Big big big into bourbon and whiskey. That being said, I had some stuff down in Adelaide a few years back that they still proofed with gunpowder.  Good go it was tasty and had a hell of a kick.  If I didn't know better I'd think it was someone's sugar cane based moonshine hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

Kirk & Sweeney 18. Delicioso!

I also enjoyed the Zacapa XO, but it's so expensive. Going to try the Zacapa 23 next.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2016 at 11:18 PM, irratebass said:

Diplomatico is good stuff, for my everyday rum it would be a toss up between Zaya and Ron Miel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

On 17/06/2016 at 11:23 PM, ShortFatHokie said:

I, too, am a fan of Zaya.  I like it just a little better than Zacapa and its about half the price of Zacapa at my local liquor stores.

On 17/06/2016 at 11:33 PM, Gunson said:

Lovin Zaya. Found great price in Pa.

All this talk of Zaya (This has been discussed on the other thread) - Can't get it here in Australia, would love to find a place that actually ships to OZ. 

• Like 2

Had a Diplimatico tonight was nice a bit a a change up from zacappa does any one know what the XO is like ?(Dip) that is 

Love my Whiskey no questions asked but I still feel Rum pairs better with cigars let me know your thoughts

4 hours ago, OZCUBAN said:

Love my Whiskey no questions asked but I still feel Rum pairs better with cigars let me know your thoughts

Yep, agreed.  That said, I do enjoy a sweeter bourbon or portwood-finished whiskey from time to time, but the synergies tend not to be as powerful as between rum and a Habanos cigar, to my taste.

• Like 3

On June 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM, sepp said:

I have tried the Abuelo. Very tasty with a drier profile. My current go to is the Diplomatico Reserva.

The Diplomatico Reserva is my partner for cigars in the summer. I also enjoy El Dorado 15 year old. We put a dent in the Zacapata 23 year old supply at Ajay's BBQ yesterday.

• Like 1

Interesting no one has gone for Edmundo Dantes or Ron Santiago de Cuba. Are those two all hype?

1 hour ago, GavLew79 said:

Interesting no one has gone for Edmundo Dantes or Ron Santiago de Cuba. Are those two all hype?

They probably don't have much sugar added to them post distillation, seems people only like the adulterated rums such as the zacapa and diplomatico types. 

24 minutes ago, Onelove said:

They probably don't have much sugar added to them post distillation, seems people only like the adulterated rums such as the zacapa and diplomatico types. 

hard to find many rums, at least gold and dark versions, that are not "adulterated" to some degree. i suspect the makers would prefer to think of it as "crafted".

2 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

assume you mean the cuban ED and not the montecristo from guatemala? i managed to get a bottle of the edmundo dantes 25 years a few years back, thanks to the efforts of some very good cuban friends. brilliant rum, though when i see the price per porcelain bottle now, i almost choke. 600 to 800 euros a bottle! holy crap. needless to say, i paid nothing like that, though it was not cheap. i would put the original 20 anos santiago marginally ahead of it, both behind the isla del tesoro. 15 year ED also very good. 

i have a theory, which i have never been able to confirm, that santiago actually makes the ED. they are both from santiago. ED is tiny, tiny production - surely not sufficient to sustain it economically, even at those prices. they have to be making other rums or being made by another producer and then labelled accordingly. the latter seems most likely and ron santiago the obvious candidate. 

Cheers chaps, verh informative. Anyone for HC Selccion de los Maestros?

4 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

Cheers chaps, verh informative. Anyone for HC Selccion de los Maestros?

One of the good unadulterated ones, Appleton's 12 yr expression (Jamaica) is another. Most of the Cuban and French Caribbean representations are also not loaded with sweeteners.  

• Like 1