New in-wall Humidor setup

superconductor71

19 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Very, cool setup. I have a single 20 gal fresh water tank now, and have had much larger in the past. Never took the dive into saltwater, but I know how expensive and time consuming a hobby it can be.

Thanks!

It complicates things to the zillionth degree.  When you start getting into calcium reactors, protein skimmers, auto top off systems, metal halide and LED lighting, reef control systems not to mention just the yearly upkeep costs in replacement bulbs, 6 stage RODI water filtration system replacements, monthly Salt, it becomes the most expensive hobby out there.

Since i've taken down the tank and replaced it with this humidor, my electric bill has gone down $300 a month.  No joke.  That's a box of Epicure #2's from our host a month ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is marvelous! Great job to you and your brother. I would love to have something like this set up in my home. First I need to get my own home of course. And enough dough to fill it. But I might consider hiring you and your brother to do it (I'll fly you over, no worries). So wait for my calk in the next 10-20 years :lol:

all kidding aside, this is very inspirational indeed

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2016 at 2:02 AM, SloppyJ said:

That's awesome! I would have kept the tank though :)

Was it a 180g?

Hey thanks.....sorry for the late reply.

No way....after having the tank up for the better part of 10 years it was a money pit with all the maint. costs and time.  It was a 90g breeder size.  I'm thrilled with how things are now.

3 hours ago, superconductor71 said:

Hey thanks.....sorry for the late reply.

No way....after having the tank up for the better part of 10 years it was a money pit with all the maint. costs and time.  It was a 90g breeder size.  I'm thrilled with how things are now.

I hear ya!

I have mine on a controller and an auto top off so it's not too bad. Unless I add coral or fish, the only thing I have to do is change the water and clean the skimmer 2x a month. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I hear ya!

I have mine on a controller and an auto top off so it's not too bad. Unless I add coral or fish, the only thing I have to do is change the water and clean the skimmer 2x a month. 

I had all that as well....all the bells and whistles....calcium, phosphate, carbon reactors....all automated, temp controllers, LED controllers along with the controllers to simulate wave movements. All into it for so many years.....

But like boat ownership, there comes that day where you can't get rid of it fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

That's just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Envy levels off the chart.

Much appreciated....I'm getting great enjoyment from it to be sure. Adding a new box adds a whole new level of pleasure, to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk