Current production cigars with a caramel note?

We received an e-mail this morning looking for any current production cigars with a caramel note. 

When I think of caramel, aged Por larranaga come immediately to mind. 

I can't think of any current production "young" cigars with that note. Maybe the recent TOS Dip 2's but that is a stretch.

If you have any recent experiences or recommendations, let me know :thumbsup:

When I think caramel I think rich sweetness but not as rich as molasses. It doesn't make my notes often but iirc I've had it on aged Monte 2s. I'll have to take a look. Off the top of my head nothing recent production and/or young.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Por Larranaga Monte Carlo. The April 2014 box I have has really started to show the deep caramel flavors that my late 2015 (November I think)box  is just starting to show on the fringes now. 

This. I too have a box of '14 PLMC and they express much more in terms of caramel than my current cab (early '15?) of PLPC. The PC will show more over time, I'm sure, but I was quite surprised when I lit up the MC and found myself saying, "Ah yes, caramel." 

When I think caramel I think rich sweetness but not as rich as molasses. It doesn't make my notes often but iirc I've had it on aged Monte 2s. I'll have to take a look. Off the top of my head nothing recent production and/or young.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd say nothing young as well. I've had that flavor come out in Monte 4's that had 3+ years on them. But it was a flavor that was very subtle throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a pretty thorough discussion on this topic recently, including the debate about whether caramel is even a flavor:

'Course it is - I've got it as a vape flavour!

I'll shut up now...

• Like 3

I really don't get this type of question.

Cigars are highly inconsistent

Taste is highly subjective

IMO, age is necessary to bring out subtle profiles and flavors in tobacco

This reminds me of folks that drink coffee based mutations that are mostly ice, syrup, and whipped cream...but don't like the taste of coffee.

I'm still searching for a cigar that tastes like bacon

Not everyone is a super taster

Again, one has to define "caramel". There is a huge difference between the french "crème caramel", the burnt sugar on crème brûlée, the caramel layer found in Mars or Twix bars…

I started to smoke PL Montecarlos 15 years ago, and never had one, young or aged, that offered anything that could be compared to "caramel", except if you believe that honey and caramel are the same thing.

Again, one has to define "caramel". There is a huge difference between the french "crème caramel", the burnt sugar on crème brûlée, the caramel layer found in Mars or Twix bars…

I started to smoke PL Montecarlos 15 years ago, and never had one, young or aged, that offered anything that could be compared to "caramel", except if you believe that honey and caramel are the same thing.

I agree there are differences in the type of caramel.

When I think of caramel I think of the brûlée type. I get those flavours from the El Principe.

1 hour ago, Smallclub said:

Agree, 'caramel' is quite unspecific. But such is 'woody' or 'spicy' or 'herbal' or 'floral'. At least it gives you a very coarse idea of the basic characteristic of a cigar. A caramel-cigar almost never is a woody (oaky) or earthy (forest floor) one.

But if one is specifically looking for 'caramel' in a cigar then, I agree, it needs further specification (or simply having a twix).

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm still searching for a cigar that tastes like bacon

At least I once found notes of roast goose in a cigar.... but then again, I think it's kind of caramel anyway... haha.

• Like 1

I think Caramel is a much more defined flavor than "Spice" or "Herbal". Regardless of what we think we are tasting, our taste buds and mind are working together to place the flavors of the cigar into an inventory of known flavors/smells.

Rich, whole, wild flower or mountain honey has some similar flavor characteristics (to my palate) that caramel has. Again "Rich Sweetness" 

Of course no cigar actually taste like caramel or honey or drift wood, but there are cigars that trick many of us into "tasting" those flavors. I get chocolate and cream from Montes, but many people say its coffee and cream.

I love SCDLH Principes, one person mentioned those here, many people say the taste like molasses to them. For me its S'mores, without the chocolate, every time. All burnt marshmallow and Graham cracker, from start to finish. We all have different taste buds, but are in a very similar range flavor wise. "Rich Sweetness" Obviously burning tobacco is the main flavor/scent, but there are oils/compounds within that tobacco that when burnt give off flavors and aroma compounds similar to things we've tasted/smelled before.

• Like 1

Is the author looking for "current production?" or did he really mean "currently available?"  If the latter, then the PL Encantos you mentioned are about as certain a target as he'll get.

5 hours ago, Scrubber said:

I agree there are differences in the type of caramel.

When I think of caramel I think of the brûlée type. I get those flavours from the El Principe.

Taste is definitely subjective. When I smoke El Principe I get a deep dark fudge brownie note with molasses hints, but not caramel.

But a truly delicious smoke!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I think Caramel is a much more defined flavor than "Spice" or "Herbal".

No, mean it exactly as I said it, and as SC alluded to: Like floral, which may cover "roses to violets", caramel can cover a wide array of different flavours. And that actually seems to be part of the problem of these recurring discussions, because everbody has a different notion of "his" typical caramel in mind.

Can go from light, sweet, vanilla-like, buttery, creamy-fudge or toffee or shortbread notes (some have mentioned honey-ish, Graham cracker, etc.), over the heavier "Mars-bar"-type caramel, over Crème brulée to the darker, malty (some say nutty, some molasses, ...), even slightly peaty hard-drops (lending over to chocolate notes) or even the bitter caramel, which you can find in a stout such as e.g. Guinness. Quite distinctive aroma notes if you ask me, but all caramel-based. Perhaps not as undefined as "herbal", I agree, but still - very different...

That's because the underlying caramelizing reaction(s) producing a mixture of different substances, mainly depending on reaction temperature and sugar basis, which can go to even a beginning pyrolysis ("burnt" sugar). As opposed to e.g. vanilla, which is a single, exact chemically defined molecule, 'Vanillin', caramel is not. Added substances in the production process, such as cream or butter contributes to further differences (including protein-based Maillard reaction) in the final product, that we eventually perceive as being "caramel".

5 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Taste is definitely subjective. When I smoke El Principe I get a deep dark fudge brownie note with molasses hints, but not caramel.

But a truly delicious smoke!

I agree with this.  I've read reviews and reviewers and had similar cigars and had a totally different experience.  Flavor is HIGHLY subjective, some people have better ability to find subtle nuances in their smoking experience, and others don't.  

I have exceptional vision and can see small details at a greater distance than most people, but lousy hearing.  The same principles and experiences apply with regard to smell and taste.  

PL PL PL- Montecarlos are approachable far ealier than PLPC or Encantos and have light caramel overtones. PLPC and Encantos have a darker caramel character. The older the better on both, but at least three years on the PLPC and five on the Encantos.

Got a late start with Picadores, got my first box recently. With a year on them they are closer to Montecarlos than the other two i.e.- light caramel. Time will tell where they settle in a few years.

I get vanilla, mild nutmeg, subtle twang, some lemon peel, sweet earth & cinnamon from the Encantos. Ill revisit and keep an eye out for caramel. Ill tell the wife not to bother me, Im doing important research!