Revealing Cigar Number Four of the 2016 FOH Blind Tasting Competition.

Reviewers are falling like flies. :D

Congratulations to all those that have kept going. By God if anyone has put in all the 5 picks and got all 5 wrong...I will send a small prize to them. You deserve it!

8 memebers picked the winner. 

Welcome to the Por Larranaga Picadores RAE DIC 14 

Well done to those who picked it party.gif 

Looking at the comp, It is a pretty open field with two members on 3 picks out of 4....and a host on two.  Let's see who takes this out! 

Nominations for Cigar Number 5 are due by Friday the 5th of August. I will put up a thread later today for your reviews. Please ensure that you e-mail your results to [email protected]

For those who nailed cigar number four!

A $25 credit for any cigar you pick right to be used on a box (or sampler) purchase over $125 (USD/AUD) from the carts or 24:24 stock. This must be used within 20 days of the winners of that round being announced. It can not be applied to orders you have already made. To make it easy, you have until the end of July

I look forward to your reviews on Cigar number 5!

FOHBT1.png

BT42.png

Argh.

Was torn between the SLR Regios and the RyJ Ex4. I didn't think El Pres would hit us with 3 RyJ in a row, and it was just devoid of any RyJ flavors for me, but it did have a similar sweetness to the SLR Serie A, so I had to go with that. Couldn't be the ERDM or the Connie 1. The PL was the wildcard. Never having had one, it did me in--but I definitely didn't get any PL character from it. It was fairly mild to my taste.

• Like 1

Well, pulled that one out of nowhere. I thoroughly enjoyed the cigar, having plenty of touch and go sweetness to my taste. I was torn between a Regio and the PL, and although I've never had a Picadores, I decided the FOH crew could not be evil enough to choose another SLR after doubling up the RyJ. I prevailed in my own psychological battle. 

Congrats to those that are currently running their A game.  i was unfortunately hit with the man flu for the past week so i couldn't test run #4. Saying that i would have picked it to be a corona extra of some sought so not much better any how :)  Amazing effort Gents.

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Argh.

Was torn between the SLR Regios and the RyJ Ex4. I didn't think El Pres would hit us with 3 RyJ in a row, and it was just devoid of any RyJ flavors for me, but it did have a similar sweetness to the SLR Serie A, so I had to go with that. Couldn't be the ERDM or the Connie 1. The PL was the wildcard. Never having had one, it did me in--but I definitely didn't get any PL character from it. It was fairly mild to my taste.

Educate me...why couldn't it have been the ERDM (my guess BTW)?  #Always be learning.  Thanks.

Cheers!

Bill

Two in a row!!!! Picked this one perfectly. Not smoked many but it was just as I remember them.

The last one though. That was a complete blind guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I put this next to the Picadores I have and it looked nearly identical to it, but when I smoked it I got way more transitions than I've gotten in Picadores before.  The Picadores I have aren't nearly as complex as this cigar was.  Maybe the ones I have need to age a year.  Gives me hope that my Picadores will do same thing as some Connie 1s I've had.  Gain more complexity with age.  0/4--ugh.  I'm just plain bad. Going to just smoke Garcia Vegas from now on!  

Was certain this was the ERDM... but alas! 'Twas not to be. Strange thing is that I've had a few Picadores before but this didn't ring a bell for them. Must be time to revisit and see and what I missed.

Oh well, one more chance at redemption!

On 7/10/2016 at 5:14 PM, billh1 said:

Educate me...why couldn't it have been the ERDM (my guess BTW)?  #Always be learning.  Thanks.

Cheers!

Bill

For me, it was just too sweet & rich for ERDM. A bit stronger as well. At least for me. Certainly was mild overall, but I think the ERDM CS is a very delicate cigar and not sweet at all. A mild honey sweetness, herbal and a bit earthy. I've always found it mild but distinct--something I respect quite a bit despite my preference for stronger, richer cigars. Mild with distinct flavors is a tough act to pull off these days but ERDM typically does a decent job of it. 

Same w/ the HUC1. I find Upmann just has such a unique aroma I can usually spot it straight away. Possibly one of the most distinct aromas among all Habanos. Ruled that out as well. 

My not ever having a Picadores certainly handicapped me here. I really didn't like either the SLR or the RyJ choice, but it had some in common with some recent SLR so I went with that. For the record, I didn't think it was a good cigar. 86-87 maybe.

Gah! I was positive this was a VR. Tasted like cocoa powder to me. But then again I was positive that RyJ Beli was a Sancho Panza. Oh well, I'm just happy I've gotten all my guesses submitted in time this year! Still got one more shot at another $25 discount I guess!

• Like 3

0-4 for me, but I was never going to be a threat.  Will take a nice stroke of luck to avoid the goose egg, considering cigar #5 is a vitola I have virtually no experience with.  Can't say I didn't get my money's worth, though.  I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

For me, this one was more about knowing what it wasn't and also guessing solely by the first third since it took a hard downward turn after that.  I've smoked the final cigar, but haven't put pen to paper.  I'll post what I remember in the near future.  Also, a huge congratulations is in order for our two forerunners DrunkenMonkey and RickHendeson!