the perfect night for it. 25 years tonight. long live the king. 

played against him (okay, i played cricket against him but that is a technicality). for me, as great as JT is, this guy is the greatest of all time, no question. 

• Like 1

i must say watching it brought back many memories. even though i have always considered him the pinnacle, i had forgotten just how good he was. as tough as anyone who played the game, capable of the biggest hits, a pass as good as anyone, clever kicking, elusive and perhaps most especially i do not think anyone has ever had anything like the vision he had. would see things earlier and wider than anyone.

there was nothing he couldn't do on a football field and nothing that he didn't do! 

I can't bring myself to watch it. If you must choose a best ever Origin performer, he's the man.

Off to endure more Origin pain now, hope we see an open game. Cheers Ken

3 minutes ago, soutso said:

I can't bring myself to watch it. If you must choose a best ever Origin performer, he's the man.

Off to endure more Origin pain now, hope we see an open game. Cheers Ken

if it makes you feel better, a lot of it is him for the broncos and australia and even valleys in brizzy. he was extraordinary. it really is worth watching what he could do - fast forward the origin stuff. 

mate of mine catching up with him for a school firsts reunion this weekend. 

but i'll be surprised if your mob don't get up tonight. very hard to fire up when you have won the series, playing away. i've tipped your mob. mind you, players like thurston never go onto a field accepting a loss. 

Actually...I was telling Fuzz, while we were watching the game, "I wonder how Ken's Saint Luis Rey Double Corona was progressing tonight" due to substantial amount of (good and bad) stress the game caused fans of both sides!

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Actually...I was telling Fuzz, while we were watching the game, "I wonder how Ken's Saint Luis Rey Double Corona was progressing tonight" due to substantial amount of (good and bad) stress the game caused fans of both sides!

john, i'm far far less stressed when we have already won the series. had that been a decider, i probably would have shredded the cigar many times over. 

i think that overall, nsw didn't deserve to lose 3-0 (not that i would have minded if they had) but without what really was the most appalling ref'ing display i have ever seen, they would have. and yes, i include the grasshopper. i have various theories but won't change the result. but it is a lot easier to cop when it doesn't change the series. with that pair, the wallabies could beat the all blacks. among so many decisions (the inglis shoulder charge? spare me), that fifita try? it never occurred to me it would not be overturned (actually, that isn't true - the way the game was going, every chance). smith had to tell the refs the rules - to no avail, of course. under the laws of the game, that was a qld penalty. refs don't get to reinterpret as they might wish it to happen. just crooked. 

as for the earlier comments about gallen, disagree. gallen deserved to go out as what he is. a thug who was a solid player with a huge heart who made the most of relatively limited ability but whose play and conduct, on and off the field, has always been a blight on the game. but sport rarely works out as it should and he is far from the only player who is a grub. which does not excuse him. 

the cigar? spectacular. and had it with an appleton 21 year old rum. enough to make the performance of the dodgy brothers and their whistles seem irrelevant. almost. 

Disagree that NSW deserved that game. Even with the refs so deep in their pockets they barely made it. Almost comical. You know the refs were bad, when even one-eyed blues commentators like Gould and Johns were saying the calls are wrong.

What was with the atrocious Channel 9 telecast? Were they so embarrassed by the calls, they wouldn't show any replays?

Gallen and other Blues teaching kiddies what sportsmanship is all about by walking off at Cameron Smiths speech.

Wankers.

• Like 1

It puts a smile on your face doesn't it. That last act by Gallen and the Blues just gives a whole new generation of Queenslanders another reason to hate that Blue jersey.

.....just in case they were forgetting  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dimmers said:

Disagree that NSW deserved that game. Even with the refs so deep in their pockets they barely made it. Almost comical. You know the refs were bad, when even one-eyed blues commentators like Gould and Johns were saying the calls are wrong.

What was with the atrocious Channel 9 telecast? Were they so embarrassed by the calls, they wouldn't show any replays?

Gallen and other Blues teaching kiddies what sportsmanship is all about by walking off at Cameron Smiths speech.

Wankers.

dimmers, apols, i expressed that badly. certainly didn't mean that they deserved that game. they did not. 

what i meant was that if you look at how they performed over all three games, which was not too bad, they probably deserved to come out of it 2-1 down. but bar the refs in that game last night, they would not.

gallen continues to set the bar as low as possible. calls qld bad winners and then does that. a vile human. i really hope any team other than cronulla win the comp and if i was mal, i would not find room for gallen in the aussie team at the end of the year. that would really piss off nsw. 

frustrating to see izzy in the qld dressing room (shows he was all about the money - playing for the filth, let alone afl) and knowing that he could have been in the team all this time. 

• Like 1

one other thought. there is a huge positive out of last night, and not just the motivation the grubs provided. now nsw will keep daley as coach. he will tinker with the side at best. he could not coach kids into a lolly shop. really is a plus for qld. and hence, they will tinker rather than fully revamp. and qld have shown time after time that, given some fairness, they will win every time. 

Come on, ken. Inglis made no attempt to wrap his arms around Dugan. Blatant shoulder charge and deserves his 3 week ban. Fifita deserved getting sent off and should be getting more than a 1 week ban (though unsportsmanlike display by Cooper bouncing the ball off Moylan's face). And what about Parker's elbow to Tedesco face?

Ken, I'm really glad the cigar was spectacular. I think I'm objective enough when watch Origin to know when a heavy penalty count and on-field melees add a certain amount of 'theatre' to the contest. Seriously, I was just laughing at the end, as there was no other way to make sense of the refereeing, the Cooper-Moylan try incident (ball propelled into the opponent's head) and Fifita's reaction, was Jennings offside or not for Fifita's try and what does 'passive offside' mean...surely you are offside or onside. Finally, the melee that occurred after Jennings' winning try...what was that all about?

9 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Ken, I'm really glad the cigar was spectacular. I think I'm objective enough when watch Origin to know when a heavy penalty count and on-field melees add a certain amount of 'theatre' to the contest. Seriously, I was just laughing at the end, as there was no other way to make sense of the refereeing, the Cooper-Moylan try incident (ball propelled into the opponent's head) and Fifita's reaction, was Jennings offside or not for Fifita's try and what does 'passive offside' mean...surely you are offside or onside. Finally, the melee that occurred after Jennings' winning try...what was that all about?

What I found more interesting was Wood's celebratory fail and Jennings look back after his try, wondering why isn't anyone congratulating my winning try?

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

What I found more interesting was Wood's celebratory fail and Jennings look back after his try, wondering why isn't anyone congratulating my winning try?

True...that was all hilarious, you couldn't script it! 

39 minutes ago, JohnS said:

John,

Never give in to your enemy. Never pander to their view.... ever.

The refereeing was excellent last night. This was the first game in several years that Cam Smith didn't referee and look at the penalty count. Fair and just.

NSW only problem is Laurie Daley. We need to punt him immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Come on, ken. Inglis made no attempt to wrap his arms around Dugan. Blatant shoulder charge and deserves his 3 week ban. Fifita deserved getting sent off and should be getting more than a 1 week ban (though unsportsmanlike display by Cooper bouncing the ball off Moylan's face). And what about Parker's elbow to Tedesco face?

fuzz, seriously? even the always biased (and i have no problem with blokes who have played for their state being biased) nsw commentators remarked how absurd it was. as they said, he can't just disappear. he turned to avoid the collision but there is nowhere to go when dugan runs into him. and if you turn to try and avoid the collision, you can't then use your hands. hey, souths play the broncs this week so i am all for inglis copping a suspension but that is a farce. gallen took out a bloke off the ball in his last club game but no penalty there, otherwise he would have missed the game. it was incredibly dangerous but different standards again. anyone who thinks all this is honest is fooling themselves. 

there has never been, and will never be, an origin where losing fans don't complain about the refs, but they have never been as bad as last night. but that is half the fun, and not really a problem when you have won the series.

as was pointed out in one report, no one mentioned nsw's first try. the pass to gallen was clearly thrown from 2 yards behind the ten metre line. he catches it a metre ahead of the line. or are we just used to nsw getting their first try from a forward pass? twice in the series. 

i missed the parker incident in general play, as did the refs, but it was picked up later and he will be justifiably pinged for it we did see that brave maloney whack him from behind after the nsw last try. and yet no action.

cooper and the ball in the face? wow. yes, surprised the try wasn't reversed. he dropped the ball on the bloke's face from about 6 inches. it would not have hurt a butterfly. you big sooks from the south have really hit new lows if that is a problem. if ql come out armed with balloons next year, i assume it will strike fear into the hearts of the sooks? 

9 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Laurie Daley, without exception, he is known as the nicest guy in Rugby League. Is he just too nice to coach State of Origin Representative football?

daley does come across as a nice bloke and he was one of nsw's best ever. brilliant player. but too nice to coach? i would simply argue he is too hopeless to coach. clueless. long may he reign. 

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Laurie Daley, without exception, he is known as the nicest guy in Rugby League. Is he just too nice to coach State of Origin Representative football?

Hi John, what Ken said is sadly true.

Having coached sporting teams, I'd concur that at all levels, you must be willing to put (nice) feelings aside and make hard calls in the best interest of the team. Yes, NSW needs someone tougher than Daley, someone willing to leave aside Farah too.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

cooper and the ball in the face? wow. yes, surprised the try wasn't reversed. he dropped the ball on the bloke's face from about 6 inches. it would not have hurt a butterfly. you big sooks from the south have really hit new lows if that is a problem. if ql come out armed with balloons next year, i assume it will strike fear into the hearts of the sooks? 

Yes, reverse the try! And penalise them the match, plus the previous one for unsportsmanlike behaviour! :P

8 hours ago, Dimmers said:

Wankers.

Yep disgraceful...just shows what he is really made of