Philc2001

Marquee Quandry For My Next PC

Recommended Posts

I've been in a quandary of late, I'm seeking a PC to fill a certain and specific void. I hesitate to ask for recommendations because a lot of times people recommend what they like or what may be popular, but for me smoking is an acquired taste and although I only smoke 2-3 cigars a week it is a passion that I enjoy in solitude like few other luxuries. As with scotch, I like certain flavors and have acquired a certain taste over many years. For example, I love Aberlour a'bundah and generally prefer the Speyside single malts in wine finish over just about any other whisky. I will drink others, of course, but when I want one tumbler that really finds that spot, I reach for my favorite dram.  

In cigars I've been a Punch whore for over two decades. Thankfully, I put hundreds of Punch cigars down years ago in my winefridgador and a couple of 300-count humis, which have lasted and carried me through some lean years. Now my supply is mostly exhausted, but thankfully I'm in a position to restock.  My two favorite cigars of all time were the Punch SS#2 and SS#1, in no specific order though I am a sucker for the lonsdale format. Of course, it won't come as a surprise that the Punch Petit Corona del Punch was also my favorite PC, and I smoked  a lot of them. The last 50 cab I had was from 2002, I bought two of them when they already had a couple of years of aging. I put one down for a long nap while I smoked through the other cab. I recently finished the second cab, after nursing them for several years since they went extinct. Now I am really aching for some more PCs.

My other favorites (besides the rest of the Punch line - churchills, monarcas, RS11, RS12, coronas) are the MC Esp.#2, #2, #3, #4, #5, BBF, Inmensas and Party Lucys. Oh sure, I've smoked others, but my taste buds are happiest on a steady diet of these cigars.    

It's a longshot and I may be dreaming of a long-lost romantic period, but I would love to find another PC that has a similar rich almost rancid barnyard aroma profile. I know it sounds somewhat disgusting, but I find it intoxicating. I'll keep trying, but if you understand what sort of profile I am talking about I welcome your recommendations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H Upmann and Bolivar PCs are the only PCs left for me. The M4 and bargain blends don't do it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's quite amazing, nigh on unbelievable, how many Punch marca releases were discontinued between 2009 and 2012. I sympathise with your situation, after all, it's not like an aged Punch Coronation can replace a Punch Petit Coronas del Punch or Royal Selection No.12. (Or can it?...nah, probably not!)

Don't feel out of place for desiring that overwhelming barnyard aroma, that is, in fact, highly preferable and sought-after. I'm currently enjoying some 10 year-old H.Upmann Petit Coronas, they possess the qualities you've suggested, but if you like Punch, you may have to invest in some Punch Punch and Punch Double Coronas and do some of your own long-term resting all over again!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Phil, to solve your quandry it seems like you either need to Marty McFly yourself back to the early 2000s or start broadening your horizons. I don't know anyone with a Delorean. Sorry. 

Kidding aside. I haven't been smoking cigars that long and sadly, I never had a chance to have a Petit Corona Del Punch. From your post I am not sure if you are asking for suggestions but you can't go wrong with what was suggested above. H Upmann and the Bolivar PCs are really good from what I have had. 2 of my go to smokes at the moment. Not a PC but Party shorts are pretty consistent performers too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2016 at 11:49 PM, JohnS said:

It's quite amazing, nigh on unbelievable, how many Punch marca releases were discontinued between 2009 and 2012. I sympathise with your situation, after all, it's not like an aged Punch Coronation can replace a Punch Petit Coronas del Punch or Royal Selection No.12. (Or can it?...nah, probably not!)...

I thought the same thing. It's also amazing that even after the massive Punch consolidation that occurred the remaining vitolas didn't really benefit much if at all. I recall like it was yesterday hearing that the BP, SS2 and RS11 were all being cut leaving the PP, and how hopeful I was that that the PP, getting all the attention, would now be super reliable. How wrong I was. 

Speaking to the Mareva vitola, I think there are pretty much 2 that are the standouts at the moment: HUPC and Boli Tubos #2. It may just be me, but all the recent Boli Tubos have just been killer and the #2's been just a touch better than the BPC. 

The one cigar I wish existed would be a Mareva with the El Principe blend. I don't think I've ever had an El Principe I didn't wish was a bit longer!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ThePolskiOgorki said:

Well Phil, to solve your quandry it seems like you either need to Marty McFly yourself back to the early 2000s or start broadening your horizons. I don't know anyone with a Delorean. Sorry. 

Kidding aside. I haven't been smoking cigars that long and sadly, I never had a chance to have a Petit Corona Del Punch. From your post I am not sure if you are asking for suggestions but you can't go wrong with what was suggested above. H Upmann and the Bolivar PCs are really good from what I have had. 2 of my go to smokes at the moment. Not a PC but Party shorts are pretty consistent performers too. 

I've accepted that the Punch marca is history, what else can I do? But you guys know what it's like, when you find a really terrific taste and you develop that taste for several years, and then suddenly it's gone... well, it's difficult to fix your cravings.  For example, if you're a big fan of Macallan single malt whisky, you may be able to drink a Jameson or Crown Royal, but you will still crave a good Macallan. 

So, I'm on a mission to find suitable alternatives, and I will just have to train my palate to a different flavor profile. It's not like I haven't had other good cigars, I have had marvelous cigars particularly in the MC line, and some Partagas. But I still crave that awesome rich, aged Punch Super Selection flavor and aroma that my mind is fixated on. Oh well. Next!

By the way, I have a box of BPC on the way, and I would have liked to get some of those PLPC from yesterday, but I didn't want to commit to a cab of 50 before I taste them. So, I'll keep my eye on the 24:24 thread and see if I can pick up a some boxes across the different marcas and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I thought the same thing. It's also amazing that even after the massive Punch consolidation that occurred the remaining vitolas didn't really benefit much if at all. I recall like it was yesterday hearing that the BP, SS2 and RS11 were all being cut leaving the PP, and how hopeful I was that that the PP, getting all the attention, would now be super reliable. How wrong I was. 

Speaking to the Mareva vitola, I think there are pretty much 2 that are the standouts at the moment: HUPC and Boli Tubos #2. It may just be me, but all the recent Boli Tubos have just been killer and the #2's been just a touch better than the BPC. 

The one cigar I wish existed would be a Mareva with the El Principe blend. I don't think I've ever had an El Principe I didn't wish was a bit longer!

I agree. The H.Upmann Petit Corona is possibly the most under-rated Marevas of them all, I love that flavour profile, especially aged. And, you know I'm with you on a San Cristobal de La Habana Marevas cigar being a possibility  (although unlikely).

47 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I've accepted that the Punch marca is history, what else can I do? But you guys know what it's like, when you find a really terrific taste and you develop that taste for several years, and then suddenly it's gone... well, it's difficult to fix your cravings.  For example, if you're a big fan of Macallan single malt whisky, you may be able to drink a Jameson or Crown Royal, but you will still crave a good Macallan.

It's not just the Punch marca. Of the 12 local brands, only Por Larranaga has more than 3 choices (four). Think of the Ramon Allones marca, especially with how popular it is amongst cigar enthusiasts. How fortunate are we that we have the LCDH Superiores release. It's quite amazing that this marca has only 3 regular production choices too. (Gigantes, Specially Selected and Small Club Corona).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may know what you mean by "rancid barnyard" if you mean what I call "pungent barnyard and manure."  It's quite exquisite!

I've had luck finding it mostly in custom rolls, which are not often rolled in PC size.  I've also, crazily enough, found quite a bit of that element in La Flor de Cano Petit Coronas.  Sure they're short filler, but they have character, which many cheap havanas simply don't have.  

PLPC are immaculate once they've had a few years to age.  Very little barnyard, but I love the character of the PL line - definitely reminds me of farm life.  Have you thought about the Le Hoyo line? They need some time, too, but I've definitely had some fleeting barnyard in this Des Dieux I'm finishing up right now.  And it smokes very well for a '14.

Finally, the Partagas Shorts are typically a safe bet - grab a cab over a dress box if you can.  They seem to be consistently slightly better that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may know what you mean by "rancid barnyard" if you mean what I call "pungent barnyard and manure."  It's quite exquisite!

I've had luck finding it mostly in custom rolls, which are not often rolled in PC size.  I've also, crazily enough, found quite a bit of that element in La Flor de Cano Petit Coronas.  Sure they're short filler, but they have character, which many cheap havanas simply don't have.  

PLPC are immaculate once they've had a few years to age.  Very little barnyard, but I love the character of the PL line - definitely reminds me of farm life.  Have you thought about the Le Hoyo line? They need some time, too, but I've definitely had some fleeting barnyard in this Des Dieux I'm finishing up right now.  And it smokes very well for a '14.

Finally, the Partagas Shorts are typically a safe bet - grab a cab over a dress box if you can.  They seem to be consistently slightly better that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.