last cigar that knocked you on your backside?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had the brilliant idea of walking around Manhattan with my wife and a montecristo 520 on a warm Saturday evening.  I was having such a great time I smoked it until it burned my lips only to bec

I didn't realise you were pregnant. Congratulations! When are you due? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually,   Rod (Warrick 5)  god bless him and I smoked an Opus X double corona at a Perth catch up .....when finished, both of us looked at each other and simply said WTF just happened . We were smas

52 minutes ago, dicko said:

R&J cazzie (11 or 12?) felt woozy half way through! flavor/body was actually only med-full very leathery but super strong nicotine wise

Same...a Romeo y Julieta Cazadores during a Sydney get together. I had to really slow down due to the queasiness I felt from the strong nicotine kick. It was nothing that an aged H.Upmann Magnum 46 couldn't fix soon after!

Most memorable was a Cazadores. Just floored me. Felt super sick!

Most recent was last month, which was an SLR Churchill, from 2007. But it was fairly cold in Brissie last month and I started to rush the last third so I could get back inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel ... that bastard has knocked me down a couple of times.

The last Cuban ... I am not entirely sure, but I suspect it was a Bolivar Royal Corona.  I have a habit of preparing cigars when going out: I take off the band and clip it so all I have to do is dig out the lighter.  On occasion, I do not get to smoke the cigar so it wanders into the singles drawer.  Over time, a small collection of anonymised cigars accumulates and every now and then I play "cigar roulette" by picking one and trying to figure out what it is I am setting fire to.  On this occasion, I had myself a brunch-time Pimms and a cigar out on the deck ... and half an hour later, I was green around the gills, dizzy, nauseous and generally feeling like I had inhaled half a dozen raw oysters smothered in raw-egg mayonnaise that had been left to mature in the sun for a couple of days....

• Like 1

I LOL'ed (just a little bit) as it took me a while to recall. I think it was a Thompson Cigar Co Cigar someone gifted me (I'm ashamed to admit) [hangs head low].  But it was a beast.  Reminded me of that line from Snoop Dogs song Gin 'n Juice, "..it made me choke, ain't no joke, I had to back up off it.."

Of course, (and credit where credits due), I think this version suits me better - **NSFW ALERT** (fair warning)

• Like 2

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel ... that bastard has knocked me down a couple of times.

The last Cuban ... I am not entirely sure, but I suspect it was a Bolivar Royal Corona.  I have a habit of preparing cigars when going out: I take off the band and clip it so all I have to do is dig out the lighter.  On occasion, I do not get to smoke the cigar so it wanders into the singles drawer.  Over time, a small collection of anonymised cigars accumulates and every now and then I play "cigar roulette" by picking one and trying to figure out what it is I am setting fire to.  On this occasion, I had myself a brunch-time Pimms and a cigar out on the deck ... and half an hour later, I was green around the gills, dizzy, nauseous and generally feeling like I had inhaled half a dozen raw oysters smothered in raw-egg mayonnaise that had been left to mature in the sun for a couple of days....

A fresh BRC can do that to you. I had one recently (8 months from factory) that kicked like a mule being gelded. When the world stopped spinning I felt like I'd been pickled in formaldehyde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Cohiba Lancero.  Less about the strength and more because i was distracted by the video game i was playing with a friend so i smoked at an ungodly pace without realizing it....until the cold sweat started to turn on...

RA Gigantes. I also drank 4 coffees with it. Chundered. Had to sleep it off. Something I never want to repeat. 

I don't remember what the cigar was specifically, but I can tell you that it was 6 years ago approximately, it was a non-cuban, and I was enjoying it a great deal but had to wrap up shortly. I started smoking a bit faster and soon enough I was feeling nauseous. It was the first (and last to date) time that I had experienced nicotine sickness. I quickly googled what I should do, poured myself a tall glass of water, and lay down on the couch until it passed. Fortunately no one was there to witness my misery or embarrassment!

15 hours ago, foursite12 said:

A JLS1 bit me out of the blue a few weeks back. Not sure what to blame it on but it kicked my ass moving into the last third.

I am not sure what vintage yours was, but recent production of JLS1 have been quite "brutal" but damn tasty. I can't wait to see these evolve. 

21 hours ago, TheLiquidGator said:

An Opus X Power Ranger. It put a whoppin' on me. Could not get out of my chair. A full on nicotine attack. And it was very well aged. Have a few left, but am not in a hurry to smoke one.

Power Rangers, moonshine and a bowl of the winning entry in a Texas chilli cook-off: the three Iron Man disciplines...

:lol:

Serious question though: what is the rate of loss of nicotine content in a cigar?  Is there a predictable and calculable decline in the percentage per year?

• Like 1

Strength (nic content) and youth of a stick aside, quite often it is just a matter of smoking pace. Give your liver time to get the detox done. Needs to keep the balance between nicotine intake and washout.

As we are at it (warning: personal, unsupported view alert!), moisture of a stick can play a role as well, as that influences how much nic is being burned and how much volatilizes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fugu said:

Strength (nic content) and youth of a stick aside, quite often it is just a matter of smoking pace. Give your liver time to get the detox done. Needs to keep the balance between nicotine intake and washout.

As we are at it (warning: personal, unsupported view alert!), moisture of a stick can play a role as well, as that influences how much nic is being burned and how much volatilizes.

I'd honestly never considered the liver before.. nice point! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am not sure what vintage yours was, but recent production of JLS1 have been quite "brutal" but damn tasty. I can't wait to see these evolve. 

OPS Nov 15. And yes, while still awkward and out of balance, there's a lot going on. Just keep the lap belt fastened in case of unexpected turbulence.

A few months ago while I was in Belgium. I had smoked a Siglo VI, then an Edmundo over a period of 6 hours. Lots of food and drink but everything was brilliant.

That is until an hour later when i lit up a Partagas P2 to give our host company having gifted him my second Edmundo. We got on a mini bus about twenty minutes after lighting the final cigars and it was boiling in there. I got nauseas instantly but didn't realise it wasn't the alcohol but rather the cigar.

I felt sick deep down but i knew everything going on around me. It was a very horrible experience, worse than any drink related experiences of past

I only realised the next morning that it was the cigar not the booze to blame because i woke at 4:30 am and with zero hangover. Of course all my friends and colleagues wouldn't have believed me so I kept it to myself.

On 19 de julio de 2016 at 6:08 PM, chris1685 said:

a fresh HDM Epicure #2 did that to me once emoji37.png.

My first ever HDM Epicure # 2 made me throw up a few weeks ago ?.  However, I loved the taste so much that I bought a PSP 25 cab.  I think I just smoked it too fast.  It was rich, full flavored, complex, hints of rye, unsweet cinammon, spicey, pepper, creamy but not sweet, lots of smoke, numbed my tongue & lips.  In short:. Outstanding!

• Like 1