last cigar that knocked you on your backside?

Montecristo Sublimes 2008 EL. Smoked one from a box that I hadn't touched in years. It was rich, very strong. And good god, the the nicotine was abundant. After I laid down the stub, I had floaty stomach, woozy head, the whole nine yards. An enjoyable if challenging smoke.

Wilkey

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had the brilliant idea of walking around Manhattan with my wife and a montecristo 520 on a warm Saturday evening.  I was having such a great time I smoked it until it burned my lips only to bec

I didn't realise you were pregnant. Congratulations! When are you due? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually,   Rod (Warrick 5)  god bless him and I smoked an Opus X double corona at a Perth catch up .....when finished, both of us looked at each other and simply said WTF just happened . We were smas

On 21 July 2016 at 9:48 AM, El Presidente said:

I am not sure what vintage yours was, but recent production of JLS1 have been quite "brutal" but damn tasty. I can't wait to see these evolve. 

Good to know. My recent box is just on the way...

never happened and not looking for it. Snuss made me strong against nicotine haha. I remember those days when I was dipping and after a hard day and lots of strong icelandic tobacco made me feel dizzy...but that's all I had

After all I will definitely be careful with JLS1 and Cazzies ;)

20 hours ago, Ethernut said:

I'd honestly never considered the liver before.. nice point! 

Yes, certainly not to be underestimated: In a regular smoker, depending on constitution and genetic predisposition, the clearing half-life of nicotine from the body is about 30 to 60 min. So quite easy to imagine in how far smoking pace has a considerable effect on the absolute titre. While you are still taking it up during smoking it is already being cleared in considerable amounts from your body.

• Like 1

@Fugu On the uptake side, I assume that most of the absorption comes  through the soft tissues on the inside of the mouth and that the rate  obviously would be increased manifold if we were to inhale.  I'm guessing that the absorption  efficiency is  also increased  through retrohale,  when nasal passages are added?  

Happened to me a few weeks ago after an Oliva MB3. I had jogged 5 miles that morning, I was dehydrated, I had nothing to eat all day and I smoked too fast. Broke into sweats, queasy, light-headed.

I know better than to smoke on an empty stomach, but usually I can sense it coming. 

Party Shorts can be powerhouses, for sure. I had some 1999 Partagas Petit Coronas that I finally sold off, they were way too powerful for me.

Most recent was an Oliva Serie V Torpedo that had an overpowering jalapeno pepper flavor. I had to pitch it after 30 minutes. I have not found the Serie V Melanio to be too full bodied at all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Professor Twain said:

Party Shorts can be powerhouses

I have found that as well.  I do love a good kick in the but from a cigar from time to time.  Another was an AF Anejo recently.  Head was swimming.

3 hours ago, foursite12 said:

@Fugu On the uptake side, I assume that most of the absorption comes  through the soft tissues on the inside of the mouth and that the rate  obviously would be increased manifold if we were to inhale.  I'm guessing that the absorption  efficiency is  also increased  through retrohale,  when nasal passages are added?  

Yep, for sure, depends also a lot on personal smoking habit. Contact with the oral mucosa is the main determining factor in cigar and pipe smokers. I for one, sometimes like to keep the smoke in my mouth for a little longer to savour it and to very slowly exhale. This of course is not a too 'good' habit, neither nicotine- nor in general healthwise...

Saint Luis Rey Regio.  Just a week ago, after a full meal decided to light one with a friend.  No booze with it, it smoked wonderfully all the way to the nub. But when I got up to leave I nearly fainted and was walking around like I was sloshed.  Had to sit down for a bit - then had another cigar once we got back to the hotel 30minutes later. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Lewinsky said:

I can proudly say that I've never been knocked on my arse by a Cuban (well, except when very drunk, but that doesn't count! ;) ) NC's are another matter though. My incredibly stupid decision to smoke a La Flor Dominicana double ligero chisel on an empty stomach led to 2 hours of lying on the sofa and having cold sweats. Never again! 

I had the same experience with the same cigar about 6 years ago.  Still remember it like it was yesterday.   2 hours of deep recliner sitting because I was afraid to move. Lol

• Like 1

On 22/07/2016 at 2:31 AM, Ginseng said:

Montecristo Sublimes 2008 EL. Smoked one from a box that I hadn't touched in years. It was rich, very strong. And good god, the the nicotine was abundant. After I laid down the stub, I had floaty stomach, woozy head, the whole nine yards. An enjoyable if challenging smoke.

Wilkey

I had the same experience about 3 years ago, I sat down to christen the new flat with my first cigar there, ended up christening the porcelain throne aswell!

16 hours ago, FCUBUCK said:

I had the same experience with the same cigar about 6 years ago.  Still remember it like it was yesterday.   2 hours of deep recliner sitting because I was afraid to move. Lol

The last cigar to give me a gut punch of any significance was a LFD Capitulo 2. I've never been sick from a cigar like that, before or since. In fact it somewhat cured me. I haven't got a nicotine buzz in over a year. 

• Like 1

SLR DC.  It was more mild than expected for the first half but I realized by the midway point I had a wicked head buzz.  By the last third I was legitimately cigar tipsy, apparently 100 degree heat, 2 bike rides, 3 large gin and tonics and a Dc are all it takes to test my Constitution.  

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, Jerocco said:

Most memorable was a Cazadores. Just floored me. Felt super sick!

Most recent was last month, which was an SLR Churchill, from 2007. But it was fairly cold in Brissie last month and I started to rush the last third so I could get back inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm.... starting to worry about you frizzy Brissy boys..... Rob come October the Perth boys will toughen you up a little ....J most welcome as always :D

• Like 1

There are many cigars which can do this to me when I'm smoking with empty stomach, the last one was La Escepcion Don Jose.. started to feel dizzy on the first third already but the cigar was so good I nubbed it anyway :lol:

Been thinking about this one for a week.  It has been a while since a cigar has put me on my arse.  But the one I can remember was the afternoon my wife and I got married (8/3/06...yeh, 10 years next week and no, I don't have her a gift yet).  I was still somewhat a "noob" to cigars...I knew what I liked and smoked a bunch of those but hadn't "branched out".  Well, we were in Myrtle Beach, SC and earlier that week had stopped by a "cigar emporium" along Rt. 17.  Being inexperienced as to what the cigar world held in store for me, I asked the gentleman to pick me a few cigars since I had only tried certain ones (Fuentes, Padrons, and a few other odd cigars).  Well, he picked one he called a "pre-embargo" cigar...had my doubts but rolled with it as a noob would do.

So...the afternoon after we got married, I fired up this "pre-embargo" cigar while we were sitting on the beach (95*F and I was half drunk already).  About half way through, my head started spinning, my sweat started sweating, and I felt as if I were going to toss cookies right there in the sand.  Told my wife I wasn't feeling well, went back to the room and passed out on the bed.

When she asked me what made me sick, I told her it must have been the seafood we had eaten the night before.  Never let her know it was the cigar and never tried another one of those "pre-embargos" either.

About a two years ago and I hadn't smoked for about 2 months. Decided to smoke a ERDM Choix Supreme on an empty stomach and after just getting back from a weight lifting session at the gym. Also had already downed a martini. After finishing the cigar I sat down for lunch and man did I start feeling weird. I tried to get up and sit down and I could hardly walk right. As I tried to lay down I nearly passed out and started having the sweats. To this day, I can't believe the cigar that did me in was a ERDM. I've had almost every cigar in the book and that was the only time I nearly fainted. The only other time was when I first started smoking and I had 2 Camacho Pre-Embargos back to back. 

• Like 1

Being an occasional smoker I like to make the most of it usually, which at times has really brought me unstuck. Tackling a young robusto, especially Partagas D4, CORO or BBF have brought me undone on numerous occasions. Partagas 898 are also notorious.