Cigar Tools Questions

At last, the Boveda's latest 320 Gram pack has just released in the market. I am done with planning for now.

Wineador
  • Whynter CHC-122BD Elite Touch Control Stainless Cigar Cooler Humidor
  • 2x Whynter CHC-122BD Spanish Cedar Drawer
  • Whynter CHC-122BD Spanish Cedar False Front Drawer
  • 3x 3" Stainless Steel Cabinet/Drawer Bar Pull
  • 6x Short Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends
  • 3x Long Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends

Coolidor

• Coleman Xtreme Marine 150 Quart 6 Cooler
  • Kingsford Original Charcoal
  • 3x Custom Spanish Cedar Tray
  • 6x Short Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends
  • 3x Long Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends
Fan
  • 2x Thermaltake Mobile Fan 12
  • Any Dual USB Wall Charger
Humidifier
  • 8x Boveda 320 Gram 84% RH Humidor Seasoning Pack
  • 8x Boveda 320 Gram 65% RH Pack
  • 4x Boveda 320 Gram Mounting Plate
  • 2x Boveda 75% RH Hygrometer Calibration Kit
Hygrometer
  • 4x SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer
Cigar Case
  • Custom Leather Single Cigar Case
  • Custom Leather Cigar Cutter & Lighter Case
Cigar Cutter
  • Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar Cutter
  • Any Cotton Swab
  • Any Rubbing Alcohol
  • Any Graphite Lubricant Spray
  • Any Soft Chamois Cloth
Cigar Lighter
  • FOH Travel Cigar Lighter
  • 2x FOH Refill Fuel Cell
  • Any Triple Refined Butane
  • Any Plastic Paper Clip
  • Any Compressed Gas Duster
Cigar Ashtray
  • Stinky Cigar Original Ashtray

Nice plan.  Your enthusiastic plans should include, at a minimum, a tupperdor or coolidor, it seems to me.  You're going to quickly outgrow your 30 ct humidor and I'm not sure I would go with the Boveda storage bags.  Why not just go ahead and get a plastic box with waterproof lid sealable lid and use Heartfelt beads in a tube.  Works like a charm.

Congrats!

• Like 3

Agree with the above.  You will likely be selling / giving away your 30 count desktop within a few months.  If you go to another humidor, get at least a 150 count size.  Remember that humidors never hold as many as the manufacturer states.  In the mean time, start looking at wineadors if you live in a hot climate area.  Word to the wise... Always buy larger than you think you need.  If you stick with CC's, you most likely will outgrow your set-up and will be storing boxes.   Most here have done that at least once.  Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stogieluver said:

Nice plan.  Your enthusiastic plans should include, at a minimum, a tupperdor or coolidor, it seems to me.  You're going to quickly outgrow your 30 ct humidor and I'm not sure I would go with the Boveda storage bags.  Why not just go ahead and get a plastic box with waterproof lid sealable lid and use Heartfelt beads in a tube.  Works like a charm.

Congrats!

A 100L scuba box works well. I've got one at home with a bunch of beads and bovedas inside. For less than AUD$80, it suits my needs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fuzz said:

A 100L scuba box works well. I've got one at home with a bunch of beads and bovedas inside. For less than AUD$80, it suits my needs.

Not familiar with a "scuba box".  What is that, Fuzz?

• Like 1

"I would like to store cigars at between 16°C and 18°C and in a relative humidity of 65 to 70 percent"

you will find that the majority here feel this is too moist...............

Air tight storage reduces the need for added moisture,be aware and adjust.

go ahead and give your present humidor away and get something you can grow into........

btw,you can easily recharge Boveda packs,they last for years.

and good luck with your project.........

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

Not familiar with a "scuba box".  What is that, Fuzz?

An airtight box used to store dirty or wet gear. Has a rubber seal in the lid.

41150-scuba-storage-box-xl.jpg

• Like 4

An airtight box used to store dirty or wet gear. Has a rubber seal in the lid.

41150-scuba-storage-box-xl.jpg

That's mine! Room looks a lot cleaner though...
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone! After I read some replies, I decided to use wineador instead.

P.S. How do you guys get a triple refined butane fuel for torch lighter? Also, I wonder whether I can refill torch lighters with other triple refined butane or not.

Re lighter fuel:  Any triple refined butane will work in any butane lighter (most is made in the U.K. in the same factory under different labels).  The only possible difference I've heard of is that some is bottled at different pressures and could cause larger or smaller flames but I have no proof to that.  I've used Dupont, Blazer, Lotus, Xikar, and Colibri butane and never had a problem with any of it. 

Boveda packs work wonderfully as long as the seal of the container they are in is good.  The humi-bags are awesome and can, in theory, last a year assuming you never actually open the bag and what ever you put inside was at high humidity in the first place. You can easily fit 25 double coronas in their largest size bag.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:54 AM, garbandz said:

"I would like to store cigars at between 16°C and 18°C and in a relative humidity of 65 to 70 percent"

you will find that the majority here feel this is too moist...............

Air tight storage reduces the need for added moisture,be aware and adjust.

go ahead and give your present humidor away and get something you can grow into........

btw,you can easily recharge Boveda packs,they last for years.

and good luck with your project.........

That recharging of Boveda packs is the ultimate life hack.  I'm on my 3rd recharge of some small ones.    Working great so far!  More money to spend on sticks!

9 hours ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Thanks for telling that buddy! Sorry for delaying since I started to make a plan for wineador project. I have a lot of questions about wineador and I really need your help to progress it further (actually, I searched coolidor and wineador on the web during planning but they were not in my mind at that time). First of all, how many Drop in Divider - Short and Long are needed for my setup (I asked it to Forest Price and he said “For dividers, usually 1 long and 2 short per drawer is a good place to start. You can always add more later on if you decide you need them.”)? Secondly, do I need an additional fan for NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler (it seems it is not 100% compulsory thing for most people though)?

Wineador:

• NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler

Hygrometer:

• Cigar Oasis Caliber IV Hygrometer

Humidity Packs (Will be Replaced with 330-Gram Pack):

• Boveda Large Humidor Bag
  • Boveda 75% RH Hygrometer Calibration Kit
  • Two Boveda Large 84% RH Humidor Seasoning Packs
  • Seven Boveda Large 65% RH Packs
  • Boveda Metal 2-Pack Holder

Other Miscellaneous:

• Five NewAir AW280E Spanish Cedar Drawers (With Cocobolo (Hardwood Upgrade) Front, 3" Drawer Pull Option, Vented Drawer Option)
  • One NewAir AW280E Spanish Cedar Drawer with False Front (With Cocobolo (Hardwood Upgrade) Front, 3" Drawer Pull Option, Vented Drawer Option)
  • Twelve Drop in Dividers - Short
  • Six Drop in Dividers - Long

P.S.

• I will order custom wineador from Custom Wineador™ Creations.

I don't think you need the 84% seasoning kits.  You can just wipe down the interior of the drawer with distilled water and be done with it.  You're not going to do damages to the wineador and it'll get it up and running faster. Your divider count seems fine if you're planning on using 6 drawers.  I wouldn't worry about an additional fan for a humidor of this size.  The air should move fairly well throughout and you can always place your boveda packs in different drawers to spread the moisture around.

If you're going the route of the wineador, I'd completely scrap the Boveda option and go with a Cigar Oasis humidifier (specifically the Cigar Oasis "Plus" model).  You'll be able to run the power strip out the bottom of the front (paper thin from the unit to the AC adapter so it won't interfere with the seal on the humidor) and then plug it in to the same outlet as the humidor.  This would eliminate the need for most of the Boveda packs, the calibration kit, and the hygrometer.  I use Cigar Oasis on 2 of my large desktop humidors and they are undoubtedly the most consistent humidors that I have.  You'll lose some space at the bottom for maybe 1 drawer, but you can stack boxes next to the element and run 4 or 5 drawers above.  You also won't need to replace any packs, just refill the cartridge of the Oasis every couple of months with distilled water and you're good to go.

Seeing that you have largely redesigned your desired plan based on advice I will add a little to it. Mine is based on the the considerable knowledge that I have on the development of the wine cooler as a humidor.

Before sinking a lot of money into one of these, you would do well by assessing your ambient conditions; in other words, your needs. Second you can begin to estimate whether said product will work for you as intended in your conditions. Need and want, and certainly contentment with a humidor product should not collide, but intersect.

Cigars and cigar storage preference is largely based upon experience, more personal than professional. Professional helps, when personal breaks down. While I have a number of arguments with many of the statements made above, the personal preference aspects of these arguments separates them into the realm of who is right about what, and what is right for whom and then, who is to say what is right for all? Having posted on this topic hundreds of times, if not thousands, all the caveats and warnings, and even the facts of what works and what does not, will likely not advance this thread... or your decision. Instead I will simply try to merge my experience with some common sense.

In general I would applaud your planning efforts. Unfortunately, in an endeavor largely ruled by hearsay and junk science (such as wine cooler humidor development) I see the likelihood of a mistake being made, outweighs the advantage of a master plan.

While I build what I would argue is the best wine cooler humidor, I find myself hard pressed to recommend it to anyone now knowing for sure that they in fact need it. These types of products are far easier to dress up to look good, to look like they work well then actually function well. Advice is freely given on the topic, often by those who would never think to put a data logger into their systems to even see if it does actually work... Many, many people simply unplug their project once the internal environment spirals out of control. I know this, because many of them contact me for help...

If you are concerned about wasting money, don't waste it! The most cost efficient form of humidor is quite frankly the best for a lot of people. Not everyone mind you, not me, but for many a simple ice chest with a buffered desiccant product, or aqueous salt humidity product will do just fine.

My suggestion is this. If you don't know for certain that you need a fully climate controlled product, don't waste your money on one. Many who do, find that in their attempt to emulate a simple project that they thought worked, they bought a bunch of stuff that as a whole does not work, not for their climate and needs.

Don't let a humidor purchase stop you from enjoying cigars. It is a part of it, and if you chose to you can let it become a dominate force of your interest, but if you do, let your need take you there. Don't go there on advice!!! That is the best 'advice' I can give you.

Best of luck on your smoking adventure!

-Piggy

• Like 3