Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

ThePolskiOgorki

I have done a little reading up on this scotch and I don't know of any other products that are sauternes finished so I am sort of intrigued. I like whiskeys with some sweetness and I am just curious if anyone has given it a go. It is rather insanely priced in Canada at $123. Is it that good?

I received a bottle as a gift a few months ago. It is a nice whiskey. If you enjoy sweeter whiskeys may be a good pickup. That being said I wouldn't say its much than the Glenmorangie 10 or Macallan Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

It's ok.  At about $80USD a bottle would I buy it again, probably not.  A bit sweet, smooth, think of a fine honey with a smooth wheated whisky behind it.  If I'm going for high dollar I'm going bourbon, or Japanese whisky.  The Scotch market has killed it for me with doing the NAS stuff, and charging a premium for it. 

In a flight tasting,eight of us found it to be the least liked of three,the fave was the sherry finish.

The Port finish is not like it was years ago, back then Glenmo Port finish was the only one on the market,and a real winner.

too bad they screwed it up.............

• 2 weeks later...

I love it and here's some interesting info as I just returned from the distillery.  

The parent company that owns Glenmorangie also happens to own the same winery that makes Chateau d'Yquem, so there's a fairy large possibility that it is aged in those barrels.  Also while at the distillery I picked up a bottle of their 15 year old distilled in Sauternes which if you can get I would try to.

On 8/23/2016 at 5:32 PM, MIKA27 said:

If you like sweetish I also highly recommend Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban, fantastic.

Completely agree, Quinta Ruban is cheaper than Nectar D'or but that port cask finish offers unforgettable experience. If you like Quinta Ruban, next step up would be Glenmorangie Companta - amazing but 2 or 3 times as expensive. It was limited release, but you probably still can find it. I thought it's a marketing gimmick but was proven wrong.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Siberian Bear said:

Completely agree, Quinta Ruban is cheaper than Nectar D'or but that port cask finish offers unforgettable experience. If you like Quinta Ruban, next step up would be Glenmorangie Companta - amazing but 2 or 3 times as expensive. It was limited release, but you probably still can find it. I thought it's a marketing gimmick but was proven wrong.

Still have half a bottle of Elanta.. Which is incredible. That bottle was absolutely worth the money! Any idea how it compares to Companta?

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try Elanta, Ethernut, but now that you mentioned it I just have to have it! Companta is quite unique, but it's not port or sherry casks finished. Here is a quote from Glenmorangie marketing fluff: "... careful assemblage of spirit extra matured in Grand Cru casks from Clos de Tart and those of a lusciously sweet fortified wine from Côtes du Rhône". I had it head to head  against one of the best sherried scotches IMHO - GLENDRONACH 15 YO REVIVAL and Companta won by being smoother and tastier, it simply melts in your mouth.