Lighter recommendations

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new pocket lighter. I've done some searching on the forum but what I've found mostly are discussions around desktop torches.

1. What I'd love to understand is what's everyone's favorite lighter that you can fit in your pocket easily and doesn't cost an arm and a leg

2. Do you prefer torch or natural flame and why

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate the finer things in life, as most of us here do. That said, I have always wondered about spending loads of money on ultra-premium lighters. Especially for a pocket lighter, which by defin

Like most I've used a range of lighters over the years. My Colibri Belmont (single torch) has been going strong for the best part of a decade now, excellent quality for the price and very good ca

For a torch, I second the S.T. Dupont.  Go with the Maxijet (perfect lighter) or Defi Extreme.  Best in the biz, but pricey.  If you're looking for best bang for the buck, I sell a ton of Lotus lighte

4112926f505d72c1de0d3b3614a58b7d.jpg 

I bought a couple of these nearly 2 years ago for ~ $12/each, and they are still going good and strong. This is called Magneto Frosted DABS Torch Lighter. They are a bit bigger than most pocket lighters, but they are solid, reliable, refillable, with a lock, and you can see how much butane is in them.

I gave up on the fancy collibri, vector and xikar lighters, I lose too many or break them, and they usually have very small tanks so they barely last the night at a herf. 

For a torch, I second the S.T. Dupont.  Go with the Maxijet (perfect lighter) or Defi Extreme.  Best in the biz, but pricey.  If you're looking for best bang for the buck, I sell a ton of Lotus lighters and see very few problems.  Much lower return rate than Xikar and they offer a lifetime warranty through select retailers.  Stick to single flame models.  3 and 4 flame lighters are overkill, scorch wrappers and use extra fuel just to light a cigar slightly faster.

For soft flame, IM Corona's are fantastic.  I also love the Colibri Julius, which is a double flame.

As for torch vs soft flame, I would say that torches are far more useful for outdoor smoking and expedient lighting.  Soft flame is way classier and allows you to really take your time with the ritual of lighting a cigar.  But ultimately,  who cares?  It's smoking that matters so decide what you like best and go for it.

• Like 1

Have to agree with ST DuPont . I have had a maxi jet for years and after many lighters previously, and much frustration, this is the last lighter I will ever own. The coin you drop is worth the performance and satisfaction. I never buy expensive cutters or even humidors, but this albeit high priced lighter, is an exception to the rule.

I've gone through so many danged torch lighters I can't even count.  All makes/brands.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a ST Dupont Maxijet and haven't looked back  It's THE BEST lighter I've ever had.  Lights first time every time.  The other one I've just recently purchased is the torch EL Prez is selling for $17 with a purchase on the 24/24.  That lighter never fails, either.  Love it.  Absolutely can't be beat for any price. 

As I always smoke outside, a torch works much better for me and I've been happy with my Xikar Axia which has been going strong for three years now.  The biggest issue I have with it is the protective lid - you need to manually flip this open before lighting it.  While I don't have a problem with this, anyone who borrows it doesn't know this and tries to light it with the lid still down.  Now whenever I pass it to someone I always flip the lid open first.

Not exactly a pocket lighter, but I've been very happy with the new Xikar Turrim. It's a tabletop torch, but round and cigar sized, so you just slip it into your cigar case. When I'm at home, I normally use the FoH torch (can't be beat for the price!) and save the Xikar for when I'm having a cigar out someplace (Cuts down on scratches to the Xikar). 

57 minutes ago, airtrade said:

How do you guys fill your defi extremes? 

I use cheap Ronson fuel only, but I'm at sea level. I've heard higher elevations need more pure, refined fuel. I also tend to purge the tank prior to refill.

I appreciate the finer things in life, as most of us here do. That said, I have always wondered about spending loads of money on ultra-premium lighters. Especially for a pocket lighter, which by definition will be small and require looking after, it seems rather risky to spend a lot of money. I prefer to spend the money on cigars! To each their own of course, just my two cents.

My recommendation for flame type is torch. Unless you are willing to spend quite a lot, small natural flame lighters are famously unreliable and often burn through butane in an instant. I strongly suggest a torch flame. Also, as this is a pocket lighter, it is natural to assume you will be using it on the go, potentially in an environment where the natural/soft flame could be easily extinguished. Most torch lighters, even very cheap ones, will hold up to everyday wind. A torch just works in all situations, whereas a natural flame might not.

My personal favorite pocket lighter might get me banned from the forums, as for some reason I just never see this lighter discussed in cigar circles. I, however, love the Zippo butane pocket lighter. It is a tank. I cannot tell you how often I have dropped this thing on cement and pavement, and even though I don't smoke every day I have developed the habit of carrying it in my pockets, as it is so small it's easy to always have on hand for when the need arises. It also is very good about conserving butane. I find I fill it far less often than other small lighters in the same price range. This is good, because there is no window to see how much fuel is left. I personally do not mind this, as I have always found those fuel windows to be unreliable.

Happy smoking!

• Like 2

I've been looking at the Zippo butane inserts as I've got a brass Zippo that I've had for 30 years and has great sentimental value. Worth a punt for the price (£15-20)?

• Like 1

I've been looking at the Zippo butane inserts as I've got a brass Zippo that I've had for 30 years and has great sentimental value. Worth a punt for the price (£15-20)?

I would recommend you keep the Zippo you have intact and buy another in the butane form. A brand new Zippo butane lighter is not much more money than an insert.

I understand the temptation to update your current lighter, but I am not aware of Zippo making butane inserts for their lighter fluid models. Even the well-reviewed aftermarket inserts seem to be hit or miss with people. They seem to have very small fuel chambers and break easily.

Keep your special Zippo safe and whole, and start a Zippo collection like it's 1965!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

A Zippo armor with a Vector Thunderbird insert is my go-to lighter (I also have the vector soft flame insert). It's been great so far, the only drawback being the relatively small capacity. I've not used the soft flame yet, as I find a torch most convenient inside or out.

7 hours ago, jonescej said:

I would recommend you keep the Zippo you have intact and buy another in the butane form. A brand new Zippo butane lighter is not much more money than an insert.

I understand the temptation to update your current lighter, but I am not aware of Zippo making butane inserts for their lighter fluid models. Even the well-reviewed aftermarket inserts seem to be hit or miss with people. They seem to have very small fuel chambers and break easily.

Keep your special Zippo safe and whole, and start a Zippo collection like it's 1965!

The actual Zippo butane torch (Zippo Blu, I believe it was called) has been discontinued, at least in the states, and Zippo pulled them from stores.  The only current Zippo butane option that I'm aware of is the Z-Plus insert sold by Lotus and probably Vector as well.  They're around $20 and are great for retrofitting a Zippo into a torch.  Fuel capacity isn't the best but it makes cool Zippo housings practical for cigars.

21 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

4112926f505d72c1de0d3b3614a58b7d.jpg 

I bought a couple of these nearly 2 years ago for ~ $12/each, and they are still going good and strong. This is called Magneto Frosted DABS Torch Lighter. They are a bit bigger than most pocket lighters, but they are solid, reliable, refillable, with a lock, and you can see how much butane is in them.

I gave up on the fancy collibri, vector and xikar lighters, I lose too many or break them, and they usually have very small tanks so they barely last the night at a herf. 

I will second this. I have 2 of these except they go by a different name but they are exactly the same. They work every time and hold a ton of butane.

The actual Zippo butane torch (Zippo Blu, I believe it was called) has been discontinued, at least in the states, and Zippo pulled them from stores.  The only current Zippo butane option that I'm aware of is the Z-Plus insert sold by Lotus and probably Vector as well.  They're around $20 and are great for retrofitting a Zippo into a torch.  Fuel capacity isn't the best but it makes cool Zippo housings practical for cigars.

Zippo Blu2 is available on Amazon UK at £38 and up.

Thanks for pointing this out, I totally missed it. It can still be found but it isn't worth more than $50 IMHO

Zippo Blu2 is available on Amazon UK at £38 and up.

For £38 I would still consider it, but don't go too far above or you will be overpaying for what it is. The Butane Zippo Blu2 uses standard Zippo flints, just like the lighter fluid model, so you can still service and use the Blu2 even though it is discontinued.

I have three lighters that I use, depending on the situation.

Xikar Axia - when I need a compact lighter

Iroda Micro-Jet - when space is not a concern and I'll be with a group of people

Blazer EVO - when space is a concern, but I'll be with a group of people

Another vote for ST DuPont Maxijet - I've got an older model and works great, have had for 3 years. Can be found at a discount - they also make a mini - no experience with that - 

8 hours ago, MaxG said:

My Xikar Axia is my favorite.  The only drawback is its modest fuel tank.  I also like my Xikar Turrim, but performance hasn't been as perfect as the Axia.

- MG

Those are the same two Xikar models I own, too. I didn't recommend the Axia, due to the small fuel tank (works great, and I love the flat'ish flame it puts out, but refilling it all the time annoys me).

I had a seal fail (adjuster popped off) on my Turrim right after I got it, but Xikar fixed it and I've had no other issues. What issues have you had with yours?