Lighter recommendations

It doesn't  ignite on the first try every time. I  bought it at a cigar event and the XIKAR rep filled it. It sometimes took 3-4 tries to get an ignition. When the tank was empty,  I blew it out with compressed air and refilled it. It may have helped a bit.  But it still isn't 100% like my Axia. 

- MG

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate the finer things in life, as most of us here do. That said, I have always wondered about spending loads of money on ultra-premium lighters. Especially for a pocket lighter, which by defin

Like most I've used a range of lighters over the years. My Colibri Belmont (single torch) has been going strong for the best part of a decade now, excellent quality for the price and very good ca

For a torch, I second the S.T. Dupont.  Go with the Maxijet (perfect lighter) or Defi Extreme.  Best in the biz, but pricey.  If you're looking for best bang for the buck, I sell a ton of Lotus lighte

Vertigo Cyclone Tourch...

image.jpeg

About $10 and very reliable.

Cheers!

Bill

• Like 1

One of my favorites is the Blazer PB-207 "Pocket Micro Torch." Always lights, huge fuel tank, and it is a little button on the side that locks the flame on if you want. You can actually see the fuel in the tank and mine has been reliable for years now. It's a big lighter with a small footprint. They run right around $50 USD.

I've only had limited success with torch lighters, some of the budget torches work fine, others don't.  I've kind of settled on Bic lighters and grocery store wooden matches.  

As my personal favorite, the Zippo Blu2, is now dead (RIP), I think the Ronson lighter is a great almost free lighter to run around with and not have to worry about.  It is built like a tank, always lights on the first try in my experience, and can be found for between $3-4.  That is not a typo.  They are that cheap, but for a single-butane torch, they are just as effective as the Dupont Mini and Maxijets.  I personally stay away from BICs, because they are lighter fluid based, but lots of people use them, so if it doesn't bother you then they are a serviceable option, though I do find their flames to be very small for lighting all but the smallest RG cigars.  Good quality, long, wooden matches are great for toasting in an indoor or otherwise wind-protected environment.  A torch is just simply a lot less fuss at any given moment.

57 minutes ago, jonescej said:

As my personal favorite, the Zippo Blu2, is now dead (RIP), I think the Ronson lighter is a great almost free lighter to run around with and not have to worry about.  It is built like a tank, always lights on the first try in my experience, and can be found for between $3-4.  That is not a typo.  They are that cheap, but for a single-butane torch, they are just as effective as the Dupont Mini and Maxijets.  I personally stay away from BICs, because they are lighter fluid based, but lots of people use them, so if it doesn't bother you then they are a serviceable option, though I do find their flames to be very small for lighting all but the smallest RG cigars.  Good quality, long, wooden matches are great for toasting in an indoor or otherwise wind-protected environment.  A torch is just simply a lot less fuss at any given moment.

BICs use butane, just like all other torch lighters. Lighter fluid (naphtha) are used in wick lighters like Zippos.

• Like 1

BICs use butane, just like all other torch lighters. Lighter fluid (naphtha) are used in wick lighters like Zippos.

Ok. I feel really dumb now. I would have bet ANY amount of money that they used lighter fluid, but I looked and you're right. My mind is blown. Thanks for the correction, I would have never believed they used butane. I am almost physically in shock right now...

I think I need a cigar...

Like most I've used a range of lighters over the years.

My Colibri Belmont (single torch) has been going strong for the best part of a decade now, excellent quality for the price and very good capacity.

https://goo.gl/images/lP4YME

I like the Zippo 3rd party torch inserts but like others have said the capacity seems tiny, two or three cigars worth at most it seems.

Xikar I've never had success with, mine have only lasted a few weeks before fatal breakdowns. Even though I love the look

https://goo.gl/images/nPy5Ce

Zippo naptha, to be honest when I've used the premium Zippo fuel I've not noticed any taste of the fuel

Dunhill/DuPont soft flames I love, I couldn't justify paying for what the new ones go for nowadays. I've had very good success getting vintage ones off eBay for $50 ish and fixing them up.

Soft flames certainly seem to add something to a relaxed atmosphere which I look for when smoking. But it's almost certainly something psychological.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Soft flames certainly seem to add something to a relaxed atmosphere which I look for when smoking. But it's almost certainly something psychological.

Never use a torch - it may be, but I don't think it's just psycho...

And if conditions are so windy that I would have to use a torch for lighting, I do not smoke outdoors anyway.

• Like 1

How do you guys fill your defi extremes? 

I use the red S.T. DuPont butane. Maybe it's just a gimmick, and any fuel will work, but after dropping that kind of loot I'm not taking any chances.
  • Like 1

I've been a big fan of Jetline torch lighters. The Pocket Torch and New York models are very good bargains. We used to sell a bunch at the cigar shop I worked at, and for good reason.

Moving up a bit in price, I am partial to Xikar. I've just had good experiences, and their lifetime warranty, and easy return/exchange policies make them a good company in my book.

1. Strike anywhere wooden match

2. Soft Flame cheapo lighter

3. A certain inexpensive torch

I really prefer the two soft flame approaches for the initial fire-up if conditions permit.  The torch excels at precision, hand-held final third touchups so I keep it handy at all times.  Side note: could be just my example, but torch will not ignite if it is allowed to cool below about 50 F (10 C).

Like El Capitan Q, if I'm firing up indoors then slowly toasting the foot with a soft flame, vintage Dunhill is my preferred method.  Second is a nice, long wooden match.

If I'm out of doors it's whatever torch lighter is handy (I've been getting lots of use out of the Micro Jet from FOH).

At the cigar lounges in HK, I'm always surprised at how they really torch the things into life.  Nothing gentle about it.  Cigar still smokes fine though. :cigar: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danimalia said:

I've been a big fan of Jetline torch lighters. The Pocket Torch and New York models are very good bargains. We used to sell a bunch at the cigar shop I worked at, and for good reason.

Moving up a bit in price, I am partial to Xikar. I've just had good experiences, and their lifetime warranty, and easy return/exchange policies make them a good company in my book.

Have the new owners at xikar stopped the lifetime warranty/return? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Have the new owners at xikar stopped the lifetime warranty/return? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Oh, really? I hope not, but I don't know. 

I just bought a new X8 cutter, and I hope I never have to test them :lol:

To meet the pocket size and easy on the wallet parameters you require I would recommend the Xikar Executive 2. I've had one for maybe 5-6 yrs. repairs are free for lifetime of lighter. $40-45 USD.

I went to me local B&M and they sent it in for me. Within 10 days they had just sent me in a new one. Couldn't complain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On August 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM, CaptainQuintero said:

Did some digging and I was mistaken; it's Palio which have apparently stopped their lifetime warranty:

I thought I read that Quality Importers bought Palio and did away with the warranty, but don't quote me on that.

• Like 1

For best pocket torch lighter, like anyone said, S.T. Dupont Maxijet torch lighter is the best deal for your need (single flame, high quality, has quite big fuel tank, etc). However, if you do not mind the size, I also recommend getting Blazer ES-1000 (a.k.a. Prince GT-3000S) since it is cheap, powerful (single torch flame but very powerful enough to light cigars) and durable with huge fuel tank which can be used as tabletop torch lighter without any problem compared to other torch lighters. I, too, was one of the people who searched pocket torch lighters from Xikar, S.T. Dupont frantically at the beginning but for all the reasons mentioned above, I decided to go with Blazer ES-1000 (a.k.a. Prince GT-3000S).

Link for Blazer ES-1000http://blazerproducts.com/industrial/the-angled-head-micro-torch-es-1000.html